Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 18-03-2018, 22:13

Default I want to buy, BUT.... help!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and to caravaning in general.

Basically, I'm really keen to buy a static caravan at a park not too far from home. We've had the tour. The site is fab, the caravans are great and I don't have too much of a problem laying down £30k.

So what's the issue?! Basically, I would need to sub-let to cover the annual site fees etc. My family and friends would use the caravan at weekends and it'd be sub-let to punters during the week. (in an ideal world I wouldn't be sub-letting but sadly I'm not that rich)

The thing that's grinding me up the most is little things like not being able to personalise our caravan with photos and not being able to leave a bag of bathroom essentials or tea and coffee in the cupboards.
Without being able to do this it would appear I would simply own a generic caravan with none of our heart and soul.

I'm wondering how others manage this and get their heads round it.

I feel like if I'm paying £30k for something, I at least want to be able to leave some personal posessions inside. Something that says "this is ours!"

And with that in mind, I'm then left thinking, why don't I just bulk book a caravan at the same site for 'x' number of weekends a year and save myself about twenty thousand pounds?!

I really REALLY love the idea of disappearing off to the coast each weekend. But I just can't see past the hitches.

Help!

Old 18-03-2018, 22:30

Hello fizzy , it’s something most of us have to weigh up and there has to be a compromise , only you can make the decision . I agree with you , we couldn’t spend that amount of money and then let it out to strangers who basically won’t care if they leave marks and scratches everywhere , so we looked for somewhere with cheaper site fees , move a little inland or go to a smaller site and the fees and the cost of the van will probably be less. Also laying out £30k so family and friends can stay there sounds like you’re a very generous person but make sure you are buying what you want for you first and foremost.
Old 18-03-2018, 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by slattster View Post
Hello fizzy , itís something most of us have to weigh up and there has to be a compromise , only you can make the decision . I agree with you , we couldnít spend that amount of money and then let it out to strangers who basically wonít care if they leave marks and scratches everywhere , so we looked for somewhere with cheaper site fees , move a little inland or go to a smaller site and the fees and the cost of the van will probably be less.

I agree with the above and personally would not want to rent to strangers, it's our second home and want to keep it that way and being able to leave all our personal belongings in place, also feeling comfortable about it being in the same state / condition as we left it, for our next returned visit.

We did similar as slattster says, we found a nice second hand caravan on an inland site with cheaper fees. Our site fees are less than half that many charge and coupling that with only spending just enough for a decent second hand caravan, means we can afford to run without renting. Also many on here are not keen on being on a site that allows renting, as you never know who your neighbours are going to be from one week to the next. Hope you decide which is best for you, but if I was in your situation I would compromise just enough, to avoid the hassle of renting out.
Old 19-03-2018, 07:01

Most sites wont let to the same person for more than three weeks or 28 days depending on the licence. Our previous van was let by the previous owners and they seemed to have a locked cupboard in the wardrobe where they put their " bits ". To me the whole point of owning is to leave everything and not have to pack up or take stuff every time.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 19-03-2018, 09:07

Fizzy fizz,
Perhaps you doing the wrong thing investing £30k in a caravan, as you say you need to sub let to cover your fees.
Make no mistake, buying a static is not cheap.
I purchased one last year mine is not luxurious but suits our needs at £32k.
Plus decking installation, and other stuff probably more like £40k total expenditure.

Our site fees are £3100 plus other extras, so in total around £4K.
Now that's 2 Med holidays for me, so they had to go, and reduce uk breaks away.

So it's good old Anglesey for now! Hope there is more sun this year!

Renting? To strangers no thank you, any damage you foot the bill, No doubt insurance will be higher with exclusions.
Plus gas & electric certificates for letting purposes.
Somebody else benefitting from your expense.
Crikey it's your holiday home, now IF you rich, then it's a different story, but as you state, you are not.
Perhaps your family members could make a contribution towards your fees?

We are not allowed to sub rent on our park, & to be honest I agree, at least you know who your neighbour or their families will be, and only 1 dog allowed, mind you some have more!

Last edited by sparkrace22; 19-03-2018 at 09:18.
Old 19-03-2018, 09:21

From what has been written over the years....sales people on these sites that rent ,sell the dream of affording van by renting out,usually with free site fees included....then the dream becomes a nightmare,some having to give up van,and still paying loans off...should add that some on owners only site find themselves in similar situation,when they haven't accounted for what happens at the end of free site fees period.....
Some good advice on previous posts..
Old 19-03-2018, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzyfizz View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and to caravaning in general.

Basically, I'm really keen to buy a static caravan at a park not too far from home. We've had the tour. The site is fab, the caravans are great and I don't have too much of a problem laying down £30k.

So what's the issue?! Basically, I would need to sub-let to cover the annual site fees etc. My family and friends would use the caravan at weekends and it'd be sub-let to punters during the week. (in an ideal world I wouldn't be sub-letting but sadly I'm not that rich)

The thing that's grinding me up the most is little things like not being able to personalise our caravan with photos and not being able to leave a bag of bathroom essentials or tea and coffee in the cupboards.
Without being able to do this it would appear I would simply own a generic caravan with none of our heart and soul.

I'm wondering how others manage this and get their heads round it.

I feel like if I'm paying £30k for something, I at least want to be able to leave some personal posessions inside. Something that says "this is ours!"

And with that in mind, I'm then left thinking, why don't I just bulk book a caravan at the same site for 'x' number of weekends a year and save myself about twenty thousand pounds?!

I really REALLY love the idea of disappearing off to the coast each weekend. But I just can't see past the hitches.

Help!

so how many weekends are you looking at for your own use ?
if your van is on a coastal site with facilities that people would want to holiday in ( the people who you would want to hire your van to in the week ) then you would be looking at around £5 k per year running costs, in that case a 15 year term ( around the time most vans are on site for ) your investment would be around £105,000.
if you managed 10 weeks of rental at around £250 for the monday to friday break you would get £2500 a year from renting out, take out say 5 weekends to friends and family ? so you are left with 30 weekends for your self so over 10 years thats £180 per weekend for you.
in my opinion like others have said, get a cheaper site £2500 per year keep the van for you, don't rent out ( make it your space ) then if you want friends and family to use it you can leave your stuff, then your weekends would be £115 per weekend less any friends / family weekends you could ask for a contribution to the gas / electric to help as we do, but to be honest this year i have said no weekends if F/F want to borrow its monday to friday only ( plus gas lol )
its a very big commitment, we all our lives have had both sorts of vans at any one time, tourer and static, this is our second static and we knew exactly what we wanted, we started with a tourer in 1982 and then another the second tourer in 1992 we eventually left on a site in Dawlish, we then had a static in fern down dorset that we had for its last 5 years of life, until 2002, we than had a twin axle van seasonal sited in wales near bala, and now a brand new static in mid wales 20 mile from the coast, we spend a day ( saturday ) at the beach and back through Mac shopping and mooching followed by a lazy sunday lie in i cook the sunday lunch then we relax and travel home late sunday night so the O/H can go to work i spend the week preparing for friday lunchtime for the next weekend, but thats what we do everyone is different and you need to balance what you want to pay for what you want to do, like you say it may be cheaper to book weekends away i did this last year just to check on a site we were thinking of before we spent 3 weekends touring sites in wales and getting to know the area we liked vs the prices to buy and run on each site, we did not want to pay for facilities as we would not use them, your situation would be different you would want facilities to attract the punters, i really ( personal opinion ) would not be looking to make any money from my van but then i do not need to as i keep the running costs down, its a balance, my van cost me £140 per weekend over the 15 year span and i am happy with that,
it is only your decision at the end of the day, we are all different.
Old 19-03-2018, 10:08

In addition to the very wise comments above, if your plans are to use the van for family/friends weekends (and presumably Bank holidays) and sublet during the week, then you will have a very restricted market of people who want 4/5 midweek days - a lot of potential renters will either want the full week, or will want to hire just the same times as you want to use it.. most people renting just midweek are expecting lower fees - unless you are able to rent out to business or workmen - in which case they will expect very good internet access.
Bear in mind that your site fees are not fixed, they will almost certainly increase each year, so you will need to find not only a fixed market but a fixed market prepared to pay an increase each year.
I think you have already answered your own question by saying that you really do not like the idea of renting out, so why do it? Either look elsewhere or enjoy spending weekends at different resorts until you are in a position to buy without needing o rent.
You never know, one weekend may be spent in an area where you find a cheaper and better option to buy for yourself.
Old 19-03-2018, 10:36

to the forum. Just a couple of points you say you would need to sub-let to cover your annual site fees, please be very careful and don't believe the hype that the sites often give that you will cover your fees by letting. Some people do make enough to cover their fees but I know a number of people that thought they could do this and found in the end they couldn't afford to keep their van and sold at a huge loss. To make enough you will need to be willing to let for the bulk of the school holidays, including weekends, just week days may not make you enough to cover the costs. Unless you are on an 'all sing, all dancing' site', there may not be much letting potential out of the holiday periods. Bear in mind you need to pay for repairs and maintenance, breakages, PAT testing, gas safety tests, insurance ( higher if you're letting) gas and electricity costs, drain down and cleaning after each let. Renters wont look after the van as you would, items may go 'missing' and they wont worry about how much gas and electricity they use.

If you find you can't afford to keep the van you must be aware that you'll be lucky if you get back any more than 50% of your initial purchase price, possibly less.

As others have suggested, can you not get a cheaper second hand van and put the money saved to cover future fees, ask family for a contribution when they stay or find a site with cheaper fees.

I don't let my van, by choice, as we like to be able just to turn up and have our clothes, personal belongings and food already there. This is one of the attractions of owing a caravan that it's a 'home from home'. Owing a caravan is a lovely lifestyle, but you have to be able enjoy it and not be worrying about if you can afford the fees.

Please don't be put off it it's really what you want but If you are already having doubts at this time, then don't go ahead.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4

Last edited by Bells64; 19-03-2018 at 12:34.
Old 19-03-2018, 10:57

I am very new to static ownership having bought my first one at the end of last year. The site I am at whilst fairly large, is not like many others as if owners wish to rent out, they can with no restrictions being imposed by the site owners other that they must approve the advert first and anyone renting must abide by the site rules. Any rental is purely between the static owner and the hirer. To help cover annual site fees which are about £4.5k, I will be renting out but to friends only at 'mates rates' and only for a few weeks/week-ends a year. I will be leaving personal belongings and food there and the understanding is, if anything is broken, they will need to replace it. These are people I have known for many years and I trust them. I don't like the idea of renting to strangers even though I have rented privately in the past. It's a big decision to make.