Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Selling A Caravan

Selling A Caravan Discussion about selling a caravan.

Old 17-02-2018, 19:52

Question Please help looking for knowledge

Hi Guys

My name is david i have just started a new job in sales which ive never done before. And just before or as you think it im not here to advertise. I am here to ask for your experiences both good and bad durring your purchase of a caravan.What encouraged you to choose this life style and what was your journey in finding what you were looking for from start to finish. I hate the thought of cold calling if someone called you what do you really want to know my jobs isnt just to sell its to help someone find what they are looking for in my opinion. Its hard getting on an even foot with someone to find out what they are looking for. I dont like sending brochures either the information is limited and you can get it online what would you guys rather receive and e-mails oh me im sure you guys have been bombarded with e-mail after e-mail what would you want to know and how would i be able to stand out so my e-mail actually gets read. I know asking for help seems rather cheeky but its not my intention i just feel i could help people better if i understood more. cheers guys and thanks in advance for any help received. p.s if there is any questions i might be able to solve for you guys please feel free to ask.

Old 17-02-2018, 21:34
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thomas View Post
Hi Guys

My name is david i have just started a new job in sales which ive never done before. And just before or as you think it im not here to advertise. I am here to ask for your experiences both good and bad durring your purchase of a caravan.What encouraged you to choose this life style and what was your journey in finding what you were looking for from start to finish. I hate the thought of cold calling if someone called you what do you really want to know my jobs isnt just to sell its to help someone find what they are looking for in my opinion. Its hard getting on an even foot with someone to find out what they are looking for. I dont like sending brochures either the information is limited and you can get it online what would you guys rather receive and e-mails oh me im sure you guys have been bombarded with e-mail after e-mail what would you want to know and how would i be able to stand out so my e-mail actually gets read. I know asking for help seems rather cheeky but its not my intention i just feel i could help people better if i understood more. cheers guys and thanks in advance for any help received. p.s if there is any questions i might be able to solve for you guys please feel free to ask.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, you say your not here to advertise and you are new to your sales job, really!! Weren't you the person who tried to spam us by advertising your site on several old threads a few weeks ago!! I believe Darren, the forum admin, warned you and removed your posts. I don't think you will get any advice how to be a better sales man for the company you work for on here. Perhaps you should just read all the old threads about what a good salesman should or shouldn't do. The main one is TELL THE TRUTH AT ALL TIMES.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4

Last edited by Bells64; 17-02-2018 at 21:40.
Old 18-02-2018, 09:48

Well spotted Heather.
Old 18-02-2018, 09:55

Default I agree

Thank you for your reply alittle snappy but deserved and yes i made the mistake of trying advertise last time and again because im knew to my job i was trying alsorts. since then ive been learning and im not back on here to advertise nor will i be selling so rest assured you can report my posts and have me banned.
What i would prefer is to given another chance? I feel i can give advice to the forum just as much as it can for me. And look where reading OLD posts got me last time so what would be the point if i had a question to ask.
From what i see on this forum so far there is a whole lot of problems that me as a sales person could learn not to do which would benefit any future static owners. The whole point of me asking for advice is at least one person could listen and actully understand how real people want to be treated. so by helping me learn your helping me to help the that alike the people in this forum. And i dont lie my job is only to help people buy i dont set the prices or the fee's or the location. I no i havnt earned any respect yet but give me a break
Old 18-02-2018, 10:19

My insight for what its worth,..Just looking at your post David,you say that others set fees etc.,so it must be hard to sometimes back up something that a sales person may say,then others alter what was said to what was now in writing.At least it gives people an insight into what a sales person has to deal with on a day to day basis...Bells advice of telling truth ,as you know it,can be made into untruths by others..
Old 18-02-2018, 12:03

David. I think most of this nation must be sick of sales centre phone calls and uninvited reps knocking on their doors trying to get them to buy something they don't want or need. BUT when we go out looking for a static caravan and a site its because we are looking for something that will give us pleasure for e very long time and we are going to use up a lot of our cash buying the van - and that's just the beginning. We hope and expect the seeking out and buying process to be a pleasure and a not a stream of lies, unanswered questions and stresses. I wonder how many folk are scared and abandon the idea after the first few hurdles because they can't trust sales folk and can't get the information easily elsewhere.

My opinion is that the sales person MUST be genuinely interested in the individual needs and financial boundaries of the buyer and not work for a company that expects them to sell by any method they can get away with.

From my own buying experience I would say that not receiving replies to phone messages or e mail enquiries was a great frustration. And not business like - so put me off. I tried to contact many many sites that way and only 3 rang me back. All 3 that responded were very helpful and didn't pressure at all, answered all my questions and left the door open for me to keep asking.

Potential buyers NEED correct details of the caravans, site and ALL costs and terms in writing at the earliest stage. Definitely these details on a print out to take home and study would be a really good starting point. If a park has nothing to hide then this could only assist them in selling vans to folk who would be happy for many years and tell their friends about it. Personally I would have run a mile from pushy caravan sales personnel who wouldn't give me the information I was pressing for. Once we visited our present site by appointment we were perfectly at ease - no sales pressure - lots of information readily given - all our questions answered. Even when we decided on the spot that we were going to buy our van (our decision completely) the site owner asked us to go away and think about it thoroughly before finalizing the deal. After more than 5 years now with the same van on that site we are just as happy with our decision and love every minute.

I know that you are employed to sell on behalf of your employers and have to please them and earn your commission but there is no way that I would or could do your job. Sometimes seems to me that sales reps are just a puppet for others who don't want to be seen to do their own dirty work.
Old 18-02-2018, 14:34

David, Bluebells makes some good comments in her post. I was in sales for many years and was responsible for over 100 salespeople, six sales managers, and 6 telesales teams. It was in a different field to yours although many years before, I was involved with selling fitted kitchens. Direct sales which is probably the nearer to what you are now doing. It isn't easy but the best advise I can give you is to ask questions about what your prospect wants. Ask what budget they have. Once you have those crucial details, you can advise the customer what they can expect. You have two ears and one mouth, use them in that ratio. that means to listen carefully and match what your customer wants and can afford with their budget. The most important information I can offer has been said previously. Never try to con a prospect. It will come back to bite you on your posterior and bad news spreads quickly.

Bluebells wrote, "Sometimes seems to me that sales reps are just a puppet for others who don't want to be seen to do their own dirty work". I do understand what she is saying but it isn't necessarily like that. In fact, most salespeople work under strict rules as most companies are respectable and have a good name to protect. And, as a lot of companies, and I'm not neccessarilly talking about caravan parks, are PLCs, you couldn't expect them to function without a sales force, otherwise, nothing would be sold and the manufacturing parts of companies wouldn't exist.

Last edited by Mosquito; 18-02-2018 at 14:36.
Old 18-02-2018, 15:58
Supporting Member

You’ve got some fair advice there. As a customer of many years standing I’d say get to know the product you are selling, both the pros and cons. P.S. By the product, I mean the site as well as the vans.
Also remember you will only sell someone “a pig in a poke” once but sell them something that works well for them and they will come back again when it’s time for a replacement.
Old 18-02-2018, 16:42

Default Thank you guys

I'm really great full for that reply. I'm only just in this job as i keep saying so still trying to figure if its going to be for me. My job role in the way that im seeing it is been the middle man essentially. get no the customer, what they need in regards to location,park and facilities or not and this is before anything else. next if the site is for the customer then we look at plot, where are the park do they want to be now of course there isnt always room to be exacly where you want to be so so compromise would be needed. if the park is right and the plot is right then is the time to talk caravans, budget, cash finance, ect ect our prices are the price unless-
the van you are buying you want to move to another plot which has been agreed can happen. if you have an older van to trade in/part exchange, and what cash deposit you have to put down changes what the price will be.

if its a straight cash buy the price set will be what is quoted and usually comes with gas bottles, first years site fee's , all tests ect, and any decking that was included in the price of the sale.

if its finance as you no the price will be variant as interest is charged on the finance.

im not trying to learn to be a lier but to better understand so i could provide a better service aswel as doing the job im in. thanks again for your replies i apprechiate it
Old 18-02-2018, 23:41

David. I think that one reason that internet sales have become so popular is that folk don't have to deal with sales people unless they really want to. Buying a static on a park is one of very few things these days that really has to be done face-to-face. Folk can buy almost anything else - including houses and cars - without meeting sales folk unless they really want to.

I think that over the last couple of years there has been a lot thought and changes put into the training of staff in retail outlets - and especially the large electrical and furniture showroom/sales places. The experience now when going to buy an electrical appliance from a major chain of stores is quite different to previous years. You enter the superstore, nobody pounces on you, you walk up an aisle towards the products you are looking at. There are sales people about - quite a few of them. They let you ponder a bit and then greet you nicely, ask if you need any information. If you say you are OK for now they leave you alone. You KNOW that you can go to them for more information or help when you are ready OR you can walk out of the shop without being challenged or pressed further. They have information to hand if you ask for it - or will go and find out the exact answer. Its a much more comfortable experience. The customer feels as if they are in control. If the person decides not to buy anything on that day - no problem. They can walk out and any sales person near the exit will thank them for coming and wish them a good day etc. They are much more likely to go back to that store having been treated in that way. Also I understand that they don't get paid individual commission on sales anymore so don't need to personally clinch the sale. So any of the folk can speak to a customer and another can deal with the paperwork if the customer decides to buy so no hard feelings. They get some sort of bonus I think on total turnover in the store.

Most folk hate the sort of selling where the salesman latches onto them immediately and dominates and follows or leads them everywhere until they buy something or make a bid for freedom and the exit.

Our work brought us into close contact with lots of people all of the time and we learned very quickly the importance of listening, waiting and not putting pressure on at all. Their needs were the most important thing - we could offer our advice or assistance but the decision always had to be their own - and in their own time frame.