Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 04-04-2018, 23:26

Question Panel heaters/ DG

Hi all we just bought our first caravan 😬
It has D/G windows and our heating is gas fire with electric panel heaters. Any one any experience with this type heating? And would we need any extra heating?

Old 05-04-2018, 07:51

No personal experience with these, but others may be able to help you, especially if you give a bit more information, such as:
whereabouts are you (vans in warmer South may need less heating than vans in Scotland).
What type of van is it (some have better insulation than others).
When will you use it - (summer? winter? visit throughout the year?)
How will you use it (long holidays, weekends only?)
If you are on a holiday site, ask neighbouring van owners what they use/need.
How warm/cold you will feel is also subjective - some people are very happy at 17-18 degrees, others like it 22-23 or more.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:04

to the forum Mrooney.
Most people who have panel heaters find they are inadequate in colder weather. You may find oil filled radiators useful.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:21

Mrooney. It’s exciting having your first caravan. Enjoy.
I’ve stayed in caravans with panel heaters but I found them useless ( that’s just my experience). I bought my first caravan last year & it has blow heating which isn’t much good so am using an oil filled radiator in the bedroom. Mine is a Delonghi & it throws out a lot of heat, once it’s warm I turn it down & it stays warm.
I also use electric blankets under the sheet which is also wonderful.
You may find yours doesn’t get so cold as you have double glazing & mine doesn’t.
Happy caravaning xx
Old 05-04-2018, 11:36
Supporting Member

to the forum Mrooney and I hope you enjoy your new caravan.
I think the best way to establish if your heating is sufficient for your needs, is simply by trial and error.
If you feel you need a boost of heat, or backup heating, try a decent oil filled radiator, they really can be very good, and cheap to run.
Good luck.
Old 07-04-2018, 16:55

to the forum.

Oil filled radiators seem to be a successful solution. We have one and it's quite efficent we also have an eco heater which is very economical. We use central heating in the morning so that the van is warm before we get up and as we are out most days, we have it coming on again late afternoon. We also have an electric fire which we tend to use during the day if we are in so we find a mixture suits us. As rainbow states, you will find what suits you best by trial and error.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:59
Supporting Member

to the forum.
I can only agree with what has been said already. I’ve no personal experience with the panel heaters, but have got one of the oil filled radiator heaters as optional form of heating and find it is becoming the heating choice we use for the living area, with the heating in the bedrooms only on for short spells morning and for an hour or so before we retire.
Hopefully as we are going to start getting to get the better weather from now on through to September you will have plenty of time to settle into your van and develop a system to suit your needs as you go.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:28

Our Willerby Salsa Eco had a panel heater in the shower room, 350W blow heaters in each bedroom and DG.
The blow heaters with doors closed were ok if left on for an hour on arrival, but the panel heater didnt really do much, on a cool morning -warmed a towel up a bit.The shower room opened up into the main area (no corridor) so we used an OFR (not in the shower room) to circulate the heat - something we got used to.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:55
Supporting Member

our first van back in 2002 was a 10 year old then holiday van on a holiday site, obviously no D/G no C/H just a gas fire and a panel heater in the bathroom, we took 2 OFR's and 2 low watt greenhouse heaters for overnight use in the bedrooms, we tended to only use the van in summer and maybe up till october half term, we used to cook jacket potatoes in the oven which helped heat and cook at the same time, and also used ( my mom's suggestion ) clay plant pot upside down over a very low flame on the gas hob, our new van last summer has all the mod cons and is really a home from home, i think people buying used vans in say 5 to 10 years time will not have the "FUN" we once had but no doubt there will be advances in the next few years in low voltage electric trim heating and solar maybe on vans, ??? who knows, we will see
Old 08-04-2018, 22:56

I have no experience of panel heaters either. We have excellent gas CH in our van but we do occasionally use other electric heaters to try to economise or to spread the bills out a bit. We use our van frequently from 1st March to 14th January but we don't run any heating during the night - except when we have extra visitors in cold weather using the sofa beds. For this purpose we find the OFR will keep the chill off the open plan lounge/dining/kitchen area after the CH is turned off for the night. Not suitable with young children around though as the heater itself gets very hot to touch.

We find that the OFR alone doesn't maintain an acceptable warmth in the large living area on chilly days even running flat out. The temp dips drastically when the door is being opened even for a few minutes. I don't think its particularly economical for us. We have a fan heater - which we do use sometimes to warm up the main area quickly at chilly times in Spring and Autumn when we don't want to run the CH. Also have a small cheap halogen heater which gives off a comfortable heat in the sitting area as an alternative to our gas fire if we are sitting around.

As others have said, you can only really find out whether your heating is adequate for your usage by using it yourself. You may struggle in the process but you can easily buy a cheap fan heater to help you through the experimenting.

Also, a lot will depend on what you are used to at home. If, like me, you spend the rest of your life in the Pennines and never run the central heating at home in the night-time, you may be happy with your panel heating in the van. Whatever else, an electric blanket for your bed is a good idea. I never use one at home - but now have one in the van!!