Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 12-08-2018, 19:30

Send a message via ICQ to Sue700 Send a message via AIM to Sue700
Default Haven site Greenacres

Hello Everyone

I am in need of advice, we are thinking about buying a caravan on Greenacres Porthmadog. Is there anyone else on this site ?

The caravan that we are thinking of buying is a private sale its a Swift Bordeaux 2014 exclusive they are asking 18.000 for the caravan plus part site fees, and sale fees for Bourne leisure.at 15% Is the price for the caravan reasonable?

The caravan is on a pitch that is 6400 per year and the site fees for the remaining part of this year is 3400 approx. my question is would we be better waiting to buy a caravan until the end of the season to get a better deal. The site fees are due again in January payable by March.

Thanks in advance

Old 12-08-2018, 21:35

Think there is someone on here on greenacres...

Last edited by treetopper; 12-08-2018 at 21:42.
Old 12-08-2018, 22:29
Supporting Member

I’ve never worked out when is the best time of year to buy a ‘van though I suspect better deals may be available towards the end of a season. I think though I would find it difficult to spend that amount of money and more or less immediately shut the ‘van up for the closed season.
Old 13-08-2018, 07:17

Be very careful....you shouldn't be paying site fees,it's their fault they giving up,and they should pay the 15% to Bourne. ...also think Bourne charge extra on site fees if you don't buy off them and it's every year....6400 on a rental site???
Old 13-08-2018, 12:43
Supporting Member

My humble opinion:

The site fees for 2018 will have most likely already been paid to the park by existing owner.

The seller should really be paying the park commission on the sale, not you.

6,400 pa is a large amount of money in relation to many other parks you could be looking at, although to be fair, if the park is in a tourism hotspot and has club, pool etc etc., it will be more expensive.

Have you established if their are rentals onsite, or is it owners only ? Be sure you are happy with whichever is the case.

Happy hunting.
Old 13-08-2018, 12:54

I am not so familiar with the commission on holiday statics, but the seller may be trying to pull a fast one by adding on the 15% for you to pay.
As I understand it, the commission is 15%(plus VAT?) of the actual sale price for the van, which - on holiday sites - is normally paid to the Park by the seller.
So you pay the seller 18,000, then the seller pays 15% of that, 2,700 (plus VAT?) to the Park.
Getting the buyer to add 15% to the sale price in order to pay the Park commission distorts the sale price, which in turn distorts the commission.
So - if they are trying to get you to pay the 15% commission (2,700) on top of the sale price (18,000), the actual sale price becomes 20,700
The commission payable to the Park becomes 3,105(plus VAT?) and if the Park only received 2,700, the Park may start looking for someone to pay the additional 405(plus VAT?)
Tread carefully, as once the seller has left the Park, you will be the only person the Park can recover costs from.
Old 13-08-2018, 16:42
Supporting Member

I think the issue of who pays what is a bit of a red herring to be honest. Any seller who wants to get rid of a van would start with an amount they want to walk away with and then add on any commissions they might have to pay etc.to create a price to quote.
Any buyer should simply add up all the different things they are being asked to pay & decide if the van is worth that total price to them. Some sites do do the private sales commissions by seller & some by buyers.
Old 13-08-2018, 16:43
Supporting Member

Duplicated post....SORRY!

Last edited by DavidE; 13-08-2018 at 16:46.
Old 15-08-2018, 07:41

Send a message via ICQ to Sue700 Send a message via AIM to Sue700

Hi Thanks for all your help and advice,

We have re thought buying on Haven for the time being, as said in previous posts we would be paying site fees of 3000 plus and would hardly have any time in the caravan before we have to close it up. All we want is a caravan site in the north wales area that has facilities for young families, hopefully an indoor swimming pool, will have to keep looking,
Thanks again
Old 16-08-2018, 17:46

Hi Sue I think you have made the right choice to keep looking you would need to use your caravan an awful lot to justify those fee's and there may be better options out there. On the subject of paying the 15% on our it was the buyer who paid the fee not the seller also the 15% was calculated on the Glasses Guide not on the asking price or price paid to the seller which reduced it considerably.
Good luck hope you find something you will be very happy with.