Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Selling A Caravan

Selling A Caravan Discussion about selling a caravan.

Old 11-09-2013, 18:09

I think this is a very expensive lesson in the buying and selling of caravans.

If you have any doubts the best option is to always buy a naff caravan close to the end of its life and see if you like the static way of life.

Once you get a static a whole new world opens up, some positive and some negative but you never see all that till you have stayed in your van.

Jumping in feet first is rarely a good way to go.

Old 11-09-2013, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GULLARM View Post

If you have any doubts the best option is to always buy a naff caravan close to the end of its life and see if you like the static way of life.

Once you get a static a whole new world opens up, some positive and some negative but you never see all that till you have stayed in your van.

Snowdrops already had a older van on the site then upgraded to a new van ,sounds as if the site has changed from after they bought new van
Old 11-09-2013, 18:58
Supporting Member

I disagree that caravans depreciate like a new car. You can take a car anywhere and sell it, you can't do that with a static van.

Also, new cars are sold at list price or discounted whereas a new van is rarely discounted.......they even try to make older 'new' vans sound as though they've been discounted, when all that happens is the RRP stays the same but the new models go up, a bit of a 'round about' discount?

Snowdrop, you were charged way above RRP for the van in the first place, this unfortunately happens all the time

I wish you well with your new venture, but travelling round in a motorhome will surely put you among weekly holiday makers too?

ML.
Old 11-09-2013, 19:07

At least when you're travelling around you can move on if you happen to have noisy neighbours There are loads of small sites too, which are little more than a field, with all the peace and tranquility you could ask for, been there and done that when we had our tourer.
Bunty x
Old 11-09-2013, 19:51
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunty and Biggles View Post
At least when you're travelling around you can move on if you happen to have noisy neighbours There are loads of small sites too, which are little more than a field, with all the peace and tranquility you could ask for, been there and done that when we had our tourer.
Bunty x
Ah I see, never been a tourer person. I only know that the touring part of our site seems to have loads of kids running wild so it must be a case (as with statics), choose your site carefully

ML.
Old 11-09-2013, 20:16
Social Media Boss

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Quote:

There are quite a few members on here who own older caravans, and I doubt very much would ever refer to their beloved old girls as "naff"

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

My 'New Old Girl'
Old 11-09-2013, 23:02

Quote:
If you have any doubts the best option is to always buy a naff caravan close to the end of its life and see if you like the static way of life
For some of us buying new is not an option and for me, buying an caravan close to the end of its life was not an option either.
Having a caravan by the sea was a life-long dream to me and I hoped that buying my van would be everything I'd ever dreamed of. Fortunately it was!
I knew that I would never buy a van on finance as finding the repayments as well as saving for the day to day expenditure for the van would be too much of a strain on my income.
The only other option was to buy the best I could afford with my retirement lump sum as this was going to be a one-off purchase. To get the spec I wanted meant I needed to buy a 2nd hand van that was only a couple of years old.
If I had bought an older van first I would have ended up using part of my available money and then when I upgraded I wouldn't have had enough to buy the van I really wanted.

Everyone's circumstances are different and we need to respect whatever choices people make whether its new, old or somewhere in between and whatever vans we buy, they are loved and enjoyed regardless of age and spec.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:57

I think Gullarm's point was that if you pay 2000 for a van with a year left you know that you will lose that money at the end of the year but you know exactly what a mistake will cost you. Despite loving my site I am still concerned about committing to 15 years because so much in our own lives and the site could change in that time.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:02

I think what Gullarm is referring to is buy a cheaper second hand 10 year + model and try that out. However, as others have said, many 'old girls' are not always cheap offers, they sometimes are selling for 3k upwards and are 10 + years old, that is a lot of money if your site is going to kick you off in two years time unless you upgrade, especially if your on a budget.

Best advice regarding statics it to go and stay in them for holidays, get the feel of them and talk to people who stay on site and find out what ticks. In this case the OP seems to be in a position that is not ideal. The owner, IMO, seems to be dithering or messing about, not liking it but unable to act, why not? As I have said, if this is an upgrade and you expected the same quite time without lets around you can he not move you to somewhere that is all residents? As for the costings, you can never win so don't even try...just accept and move on, hard lesson I know but that is the life of statics.

Si

Check out the social group clubs on my page:http://www.gostatic.co.uk/member.php?u=17474
BERT the Gostatic mascot-RIP 2012. Fare well faithful defender of our static
Old 16-09-2013, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiesolo View Post

Best advice regarding statics it to go and stay in them for holidays, get the feel of them and talk to people who stay on site and find out what ticks.

Si
Thing is we did buy second hand. We were sited over the hedge and loved it so much we bought new.

We really hadn't bargained for having sublet children kicking balls at our van and others and having them running around our property, found it really stressfrul. Some of the owners allow their dogs off the lead and we've lost count of how many times we've been having a lovely meal on our decking looking at the sea, when a large dog comes an poos in front of us on the grass. The offer now is 20 thou. Still have just enough to do a van conversion, however, feeling even more cheated