Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 16-03-2020, 09:37

Question Boiler On or Off

As I'm new to static ownership this is a bit of a head scratcher for me. I'm also a building services engineer where we push and drive for the most efficient buildings possible.

When we leave the caravan for a few weeks should I leave the boiler/heating on? The caravan, a Willeby Linwood 2019, has CH and each radiator has a TRV, thermostatic radiator valve. We set these to the frost symbol so they will open up if there is a cold snap but this is only useful if the boiler is actually on.

When I was about to leave last week I had left the boiler on and all the radiators set to frost protection but as I closed the door I noticed the boiler pumping out condensation, I.E. it was heating something up. It could of been doing a condensate dump being a condensing boiler but the way I normal see them work on a passive system like this they monitor the temperature of the water inside the boiler and if that falls below a certain temperature the boiler fires up and heats up to the correct temperature. With no outside controls telling the boiler something different it doesn't know any better. I am presuming it is not reading any information from the CH pump saying that it shouldn't fire up as there is no water movement.

This then means that the boiler, if left on, would just continue to cycle on and off the entire time we were not there and waste gas/money.

Can someone enlighten me if this is correct. Happy to have that entire theory thrown out the window if I'm being an idiot. I mainly deal with designing office and large buildings where there are sensors in every room reporting back to the heating system. I even have a miniature version of that in my house so this passive system is a little foreign to me.

Sorry for the very technical thread. Thanks.

Old 16-03-2020, 14:37

I’m not a boiler expert but I would guess that there’s a small tub of water in the boiler for tap use , the boiler will keep it warm so you get your hot water a little faster out of the tap , you should be able to switch this off. The central heating system will have antifreeze in so should be ok when the van is empty and cold weather strikes but the water in the pipes for the taps/toilets could freeze so you should put antifreeze in toilet cisterns and pans and any u bends. You should also drain the van down , our insurance states we should drain down from 1st nov till 15th March , but I will drain down till end of April at least due to location of van . Unless you have trace heating.
Might be bit more info than you wanted but never mind. Leaving the boiler as it is will protect the boiler from frost damage but nothing else.if your renting it out soon though you can hardly leave it drained down.
Old 16-03-2020, 19:27

Sparkalicious, although you say all radiators have a TRV I suspect, as this is normal practice, that one radiator does not have one.
The rad without the TRV is normally in the bathroom or ensuite.
So I reckon the boiler is continually cycling in order to keep this one room up to temperature. As you probably know, it will do this by sensing the temperature of the CH water and will then pump and burn when the temperature of the water reduces to a specific temperature.
The answer, in my opinion, is to fit a room thermostat to control the operation of the CH boiler - or switch the heating system off.
In my setup I have a room thermostat in the lounge and the lounge TRVs are turned up to max. The other radiatiors throughout the 'van are adjusted for the required temperatures (which are below that of the lounge) and the 'by-pass' rad in the ensuite is turned right down at the manual rad valve.
However, when I leave my 'van I turn off water, electricity and gas. In the winter it is drained down.
G
Old 17-03-2020, 08:00

Cheers for the replies.

@slattster, we have a drain down done at the end of the season. I'm specifically referencing the time when we leave it for small periods of time and we would probably have bookings in the interim period. No reason to drain down at that point, would become very expensive. I spoke to one of the site reps and they said there wasn't even a need to turn the water off at the mains. 'Van is located in Cornwall so major cold snaps are a rarity during the open season, 1st March till 30th November.

@Gram, you are right we do have 2 towel radiators in the bathrooms and they have no TRVs on them. That would mean that the boiler would technically be running 24/7 based on the temperature of the primary circuit water. Hmm. The boiler has on/off/timer settings. Not even sure how i'd fit a thermostat, in say the main living area, and get the wiring back to the boiler controls. I'm actually surprised it's not there already.

It's a quandary. I'll just have to remember to turn off for now, I'm just worried that the first letting we have will turn on the boiler and then not turn it off when they leave, then it's wastage of gas galore until we return.
Old 17-03-2020, 08:46

i would have a word with the site to see what they recommend , do they clean the van if so would the cleaners turn it off ? We have a wireless thermostat so no wires back to boiler but no doubt that would disappear if you rent out , maybe something like ‘hive’ that you can control remotely.
Old 17-03-2020, 09:34

Yeah they dress up and down the 'van for the lettings. I'd love to think they'd turn off the boiler but when I returned for a day visit after the drain down to do some jobs I found the bathroom light on and extractor fan still going so I don't hold out too much hope.

I will give them a nudge. I can't be the only one who has thought of this. They deal with a lot of rentals. I like the idea of a wireless thermostat. I use Tado at home, but like you said there is a risk of it going walkies unless I cement it to the wall somehow.
Old Yesterday, 20:52

Hi, we leave our van for months over the winter, if the gas pipes are open - for the frost stat- no problem. No point in heating it when you’re not there. If it gets really cold it kicks in, so the boiler doesn’t get broken. If you leave moistures traps out, it’s fine. In the spring, a little sunshine keeps the cold & damp away.
Old Today, 07:04

Hi, I’m guessing you may have a Morco boiler?

You’re basically leaving the boiler cycling, when we drain down in early January we follow the guidelines in the manual, dials all anti clockwise, clock to off power on, allowing if temps go down for the boiler to warm up internally, the tvrs are left as is - Morco state doesn’t matter as the rad cct doesn’t heat up anyway.
As part of the drain down, all water in the hot/cold has been blown out/drained to stop any pipes freezing.
The above is as Marcos recommendations, we do it and it works for us.

For the “open” season we have the dials in normal positions and via our wireless stat (Netatmo) we can monitor temperatures and either have it set at “off” or “5C”, we can then adjust if there’s a problem.

If you want to leave your system “on” and tvrs on “*” maybe leave the boiler on a timed setting.

Good luck.

http://www.morcoproducts.co.uk/resou...structions.pdf

Apologies if your boiler is different but the principles will be similar.
Old Today, 08:16

I think I need to read the manual on boiler. We are new to ownership and have only been down a couple of times and now with the lock down there has not been an opportunity to go down and investigate. So much other stuff to deal with that comes with getting a new property, plus making sure we have a good time.
I'm sure the boiler must have been thought out for this circumstance. Maybe it has an internal thermostat. It's the standard Valiant that is in the Willerby Linwood I think.

Next time I'm down (August? Who knows) I'll have a good read of the manual. Can't think there isn't a contingency for this. May even email Willerby as they probably have some spare time at the moment so could maybe answer this question.
Old Today, 09:54

We had the same problem when leaving the boiler on and the radiator TRV's set to frost as the 2 bathroom towel rails had no TRV's so as you said the boilder would fire up and keep the heating on when the temperature fell below the set boiler temp. The problem was solved by having a wireless thermostat fitted. we have saved lot on the gas charges and now leave the boiler on when ever we are away from the van. The stat also has the option of setting and locking any temperature we want. So when leaving we just lock the thermostat to say 5 degrees and unless the temperature falls below this the boiler never fire up, so saving gas.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4