Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 19-03-2018, 16:37
Supporting Member

We have just bought a caravan at the end of last year. The first choice that we had was to buy a brand new caravan, put a big chunk of money down and finance the rest, which would had to be paid for along with the site fees. But we took the choice to get a caravan which was a couple of years old, with no finance and just the site fees to pay every year.

We were given the advice that caravans always cost more than you think they are going to and like you we wanted our van to be our home and not be filled with strangers week in week out who will have no respect for our property and wouldnt give a second thought to how much fuel they would be using.

The caravan we have just bought is immaculate, and honestly you would think it was brand new. That is what you get when you buy a van which has never been rented and has been somebody's pride and joy.

You could take that option, buy a second hand van, there are plenty of gorgeous second hand vans out there, and keep some money in the bank to help with your fees in the next few years.

Old 20-03-2018, 11:44

The topic has been covered really well. The only thing that I can add is that if you decide to rent a van on a block booking, the personal touch that you seem to desire will not be there. Of course, you will be able to use the van whilst you are renting it but I don't think you would achieve what you really seem to want.
Old 20-03-2018, 18:02

I don't know what type of site you are on, but if it is one of the big companies, they also have an age limit on caravan rentals. They will not rent a van out for you if it is over 7 years old, which means you will have to find customers for yourself, so you must factor in advertising costs as well.
Old 21-03-2018, 17:17

i Always say if you have to Sub let to help pay fees then a Static Caravan is not for you, at least try and find a cheaper site, because sub letting rarely pays your bills plus all your personal effects need to be cleared from the van between you using and sub letting, like your self we looked at a holiday camp like site with leisure facilities which was going to cost around 6k all in with insurance ect ect plus the vans we were looking at were pretty old and not worth the cash they were being sold for, i personally could not rent out a van to someone i dont know and would probably never meet, people just dont treat property like you do your self, cheaper site would be a better option and letting to family and friends.
Old 12-04-2019, 17:05

We are thinking of buying on Devon cliffs exmouth as we love the site and surrounding area
We know itís expensive there and would probably rent out all the school holidays
Any good or bad things people who own there can tell us
Many thanks
Janet
Old 12-04-2019, 23:23
Supporting Member

I had thought about renting it out when not in use, but like others on here its my Home from home and it wouldn't be the same if i had other people there also. Before christmas i was thinking of renting it out and put an ad up, I got masses of calls from people that wanted it for 1 day to someone who wanted to move in permanent and People who want it for sea fishing.

I had someone who said would i take £100 a week because they are on the dole and they get housing allowance I got fed up of saying to people if you want temporary housing you need to go to the council not a holiday park!!

That made me change my mind and i'm glad i did, Now Me and the Missus go down most weekends and she goes down during the week with the grandkids whilst i'm working (Typical!!)

But you need to decide what you want you can get a cheaper van or cheaper site and just make it yours, or if you want something newer and better and want to turn it into a mini business then you need to rent if you can't afford it, Remember if you get your van on finance and you get free site fees for a yer or two when that runs out you'll have two lots of bills to pay, the finance and Site Fee's
Old 13-04-2019, 14:52
Supporting Member

I totally agree Gerry 1964. I understand some people are OK with renting their ‘vans out, or need to, but I’m glad we don’t have to.
It really does make it our special “ home from home” when we can just go to it as and when we want.
Old 13-04-2019, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerlily View Post
We are thinking of buying on Devon cliffs exmouth as we love the site and surrounding area
We know itís expensive there and would probably rent out all the school holidays
Any good or bad things people who own there can tell us
Many thanks
Janet
In addition to the words of advice already given, bear in mind that if you rent out there are extra costs involved, such as insurance, gas/electric safety checks etc., as well as the additional maintenance, higher w&t and subsequent faster depreciation of the 'van.
To be honest, buying a van for your own use and then renting it out to help pay for the cost seems self-defeating - you are losing the whole purpose of ownership (being able to leave your things there, go down on the spur of the moment,making it your own home-from-home).
You may as well rent someone else's 'van for yourself when you want to visit and save all the hassle.
Old 14-04-2019, 18:06

I wouldn't rent ours out but it's not a problem as it isn't allowed on our site which suits us. Everyone on the park owns their own van and we don't have the problem of holidaymakers causing noise or a nuisance. We have quite strict rules on the park which help to keep the site in good order. This is our third year and we have never had any problems whatsoever.