Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 24-07-2011, 22:26

Default Wanting to buy a Static Van but new or used ??

Hi
I am new to this forum. We are going to buy a Static van but torn between New or Used. We have picked the site which is quiet with fantastic Seaviews. we have seen some new and used. Obviously the used ones cost less but we have to allow 3000 for std decking.

Has anyone any advice on new or used?

Vibrantdaisy

Old 25-07-2011, 00:50
Retired Member

Hi and welcome.

Depends what your budget is. We decided to buy a high spec second hand 4 year old van in the end with double glazing and central heating, etc. We could have bought a brand new caravan without the double glazing, etc. and lesser fixtures and fittings for the same price, but knew we would want to upgrade pretty quicky, particularly as our site is 10 and a half months. To get a new caravan with the same specification as the one we have would have probably cost us 45K plus on our site.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Retired Member 8; 25-07-2011 at 11:16.
Old 25-07-2011, 09:42

we started with statics 13 yrs ago and bought what we classed as a starter van and gradually built up. we bought a brand new van 3 yrs ago. some people buy a used van to start with then if it turns out they don't like it they haven't lost/wasted thousands of pounds. if you know that it's what you want then go new to save upgrading later as this will cost you more in the long run because you will get peanuts back for your old van.you could add the decking money to the price of the van then save up and get decking at a later date if you wish. good luck and happy caravaning whichever way you go.
Old 25-07-2011, 10:25

We have just become proud owners of a used but beautifully kept Willerby Aspen 2007.

We chose this because the spec is extremely high, but still at a decent price on a brilliant site. We were lucky because the decking was already in place, but I know that we wouldn't have been able to have afforded a new van with the same facilities as our used one.

Shop around, do your due diligence and as everybody on here kept telling me, use your head and not your heart to choose before laying down your hard earned dosh!!

Good luck and pick wisely, you will definitely know when the right one presents itself.

Val
Old 25-07-2011, 11:15

Hi
I don't yet own a static so not sure if Im qualified to comment ! That said I think the advice given by van man is sound. If you go all out and buy a new van then it maybe a costly mistake if you find you don't use it for what ever reason. However comfort ( I think) is important as there will be rainy days where you are indoors and it may be abit depressing in a van which isnt nice.( unless you enjoy some DIY) Buying a good quality second hand van might be a good compromise however check how long they let it stay on site and check out the reviews of caravans on this forum. Then again if you are sure and have the funds a new one might be right. Just mull over the pros and cons as Im sure you are and ask questions. folks on this site are good at helping with the old thought processes!!
sunnydays
Old 26-07-2011, 16:58

Hi there
Thank you ALL for your great advice. It has been really useful. I grew up around vans and always said I would like one when I could afford it and finally it is time. I would love a brand new one but when you add the decking costs at 3k it eats into a big junk of our budget. So am I right in saying itis a bit like buying your first car? I had 4 before I could afford the new one.

Vibrantdaisy
Old 26-07-2011, 17:37

Hello I perosnally think it better to buy as high a specification van as you can...those are the benefits you will live with day in day out.

I bought a van 7 years old that has been very well looked after, no way could i have afforded to buy it new. I guess it is a personal choice, but for me i always want the very best i can get with the money i have got, and i chose a better older van, than just a new van of a lower specification.
Old 02-08-2011, 23:48

hi ALL

Well we are now the proud owners of a Willerby Bermuda on a Fabulous Oceanview site. We get the keys on Friday. SO excited. We opted for a higher spec van a few years old. Central Heating and Double glazing so we can make full use of the 11month site option.

We have a friend with a van on the Same site and already have made friends with another couple too.

Thank you ALL so much for all your advice and support.

I really look forward to logging on again soon.

Vibrantdaisy
Old 03-08-2011, 08:22

Bermudas look lovely. We bought our caravan just for the pitch ! ( well not quite but it was our prime consideration) and I never tire of looking at the lake and MY swans.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 03-08-2011, 23:29
Supporting Member

bloomin heck vibrantdaisy.... you dont hang around do you?
well done on your purchase....

now the fun starts..

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE