Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 07-09-2008, 17:51

Red face Guidance required please

ONE TO GET YOUR TEETH INTO!
Found the site by accident, but am doing some groundwork for the future, and you good folks may be just the people that can help!
Right, where to start, best keep it simple, eh? I realise there are no exact answers and that the planning issue is dependent on many factors and local policies, but any info would be appreciated.
Questions then: Supposing I can find a plot of land with decent access to purchase, near mains services[inc broadband] poss nr Dunbar [Scottish East coast]
A:How hard is it to get permission for a static used for permanent res?
B: How difficult/expensive is it to have services connected - gas, water,phone? Also are their any rules of thumb or industry standards for locating the incoming services, given that the van would prob have to be replaced in the fullness of time, very poss with a different model?
C: If req`d, how expensive are sceptic tanks supplied and installed?
D: How come I`m having such a prob finding statics with a fitted washer or washer/ dryer - are they difficult to retrofit?
Sorry for scope of my questions, but I think they`re gonna become very relevant considering the way cost of living and house prices are going, mibbe some answers to the above will help others considering their future options too.
Any other info re site preparation would be helpful too - my previous limited experience has been with tourers only, and I`m sure there will be factors I may not have considered. All info truly appreciated folks.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:24
Forum Advertiser

Hi Hope I can give some help to you.
As far as planning permission is concerned it is always best to speak to your local council as it does differ from council to council but most see static caravans as temporary buildings and therefore planning permission is not reqiuiered but I certainaly advise speaking to them first just to get a definate answer.
For your services I suggest having a solid concrete base built size a minimum of 12' wide but 40' long would be ideal as this will allow for you to upgrade to a decent size van should you choose to do so, it is then ideal to have the services into the van coming to 1 point at the edgeof the base about 2/3rds of the way up from the front on the offside of the van, no door side, they are then out of sight and you have easy access to them. For the gas you are probarly best speaking to Calor gas and seeing about having a bulk tank installed holding 1100 liters though you donot need to do this straight away and an autchangeover valve with 2 47kg bottles would surffice and you are looking at about 150 - 200 for that to be fitted and the system test and certificated.
All the plumbing will go to the soil water point at the services and is run in 4" from the toilet and all the waste water from the taps goes directly onto that.
Mains water is via the inlet at the services point reducing down to 15mm via a secondary stopcock and a double check valve. You can do this yourself all parts are available from a local diy shop like b&q.
Electric wise I would recommend a supply of 32amp minimum as this will allow you to run a lot of electrical items without it tripping off.
Phone line would have to be BT.
You will not find many if any that come with washer and dryer these however can be fitted in a shed and plumbed into the plumbing and electrical systems on the van, or you can convert a spare bedroom into a small utility room, something we have done a couple of times before, so that everything is in side the van.
Hope this gives you some answers to your questions and makes sense you can always phone me on 01206860746 or 07817730981 or visit our website www.caraconnect.co.uk and I will try my best to answer them.
Ian. Caraconnect
Old 08-09-2008, 23:18

Thumbs up

Thanks for that Ian, much appreciated and i see the sense in what you say, ta.
Would hopefully be using local existing contacts so would hope to have the base laid and services can be piped onto a plot for sensible money - can dig trenches myself if know the specs. Like the idea of a utility shed - never thought of that but will need a roof over my `bike anyway, so could mibbe combine the two. Thanks again!

Last edited by grumpybiker; 08-09-2008 at 23:28.
Old 10-02-2009, 13:35

hi grumpy,

Cheer up it`s nearly time to get bike out again arrrgh them were the day`s ahem...
A)answered above
B)easy to c/x vans over.undo power,water sewage pipes...tow away...done!
C) around 1600-2000 for a 6 person treatment plant (small) plus reed bed soakaway,etc
D)easy-most people buy new and darn`t mess with internl layout and no space for it,but look!-take door off kitchen floor cainet dril hole in floor for waste pipe,have your mate put in a skt connect up! easy.have done hundreds.....
Old 12-02-2009, 13:53

thankyou all for the useful information

I've learn alot here