Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 03-03-2016, 21:45

Default TV with narrow stand or wall mount 40" ish tv?

Just agreed to buy a used static All excited now as week or so till we can get in.
It has a corner tv unit but with the way the sofas are situated tv in the corner isn't best position.
The van has a small mantle piece (forgot to measure when viewed 4-6 inch deep?) I would love to find a narrow tv that could stand on the mantle piece with a tether to wall for safety.

So does anyone know of a tv about 40 inch ish with a very narrow stand?

I am assuming that even with modern LED tv's you can't mount them on a van 'chimney breast' wall?

Cheers for any advice.

Old 03-03-2016, 22:13

Hi ched999uk

If I was in your situation I would be sure of the mantle piece size first and then pop in somewhere like my local Currys with a tape measure and check what's available within the size that suits. Does not mean you have to purchase from Currys, but if you have pen and paper you can make a note of the make and model and order elsewhere if cheaper
Old 03-03-2016, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
Hi ched999uk

If I was in your situation I would be sure of the mantle piece size first and then pop in somewhere like my local Currys with a tape measure and check what's available within the size that suits. Does not mean you have to purchase from Currys, but if you have pen and paper you can make a note of the make and model and order elsewhere if cheaper
Cheers. I agree, I am not buying tv till I have actual measured space. As you say best to measure first.
So far I have found a Sony BRAVIA KDL40R453C that is 166mm deep inc stand. Where as most are about 200mm deep. Measurement from online stores.
Always like to read reviews first so trying to get alternative ideas here so I can do some research first. Hopefully buy from Richer Sounds or John Lewis for extended guarantees unless they don't sell suitable tv.
Just so excited and trying to research everything now so when we get keys we can measure and get everything asap
Cheers for advice.
Old 03-03-2016, 22:28

Good luck with everything, I even found spending money on our caravan exciting

Enjoy your new home
Old 03-03-2016, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
Good luck with everything, I even found spending money on our caravan exciting

Enjoy your new home
Cheers. Must admit I normally hate shopping but for the van not so much of a chore
Old 04-03-2016, 08:41

Have a look at Samsung TV's they are quite narrow and light. They may have a small stand.

Why don't you look at attaching it onto the chimney breast. Of course if you have a gas fire, it would have to have a balanced flue. If it's an electric fire, they don't have a flue so no problem. If it's possible, it should be more secure.

If you have bought the van from the site ask them for advice. they should be well versed for problems like that.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
Have a look at Samsung TV's they are quite narrow and light. They may have a small stand.

Why don't you look at attaching it onto the chimney breast. Of course if you have a gas fire, it would have to have a balanced flue. If it's an electric fire, they don't have a flue so no problem. If it's possible, it should be more secure.

If you have bought the van from the site ask them for advice. they should be well versed for problems like that.
Cheers. It is a gas fire but we are buying privately (through the site). I didn't realise that it was anyway possible to mount to the chimney breast.
Samsung stands are about 20cm deep. I have found a Sony at 16.6cm deep. Just need to wait to measure, too excited
Thanks
Old 04-03-2016, 12:48

It is definitely possible to mount a TV on the chimney breast, but it may depend on the flue of your gas Fire. A balanced flue goes straight out of the van through the wall and there would be a grill on the outside of the van. if you have a normal flue with a metal chimney. It's most unlikely that you could site a TV on the chimney breast. One way to find out for sure is to visit the manufacturers website and contact them. They will be able to advise you. I certainly wouldn't mount the TV on the chimney breast without checking.

It seems to me that standing a TV on the mantle piece of a fire is asking for trouble as the slightest knock could cause it to fall off and break. Is there not another place on the wall available to place it?
Old 04-03-2016, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
It is definitely possible to mount a TV on the chimney breast, but it may depend on the flue of your gas Fire. A balanced flue goes straight out of the van through the wall and there would be a grill on the outside of the van. if you have a normal flue with a metal chimney. It's most unlikely that you could site a TV on the chimney breast. One way to find out for sure is to visit the manufacturers website and contact them. They will be able to advise you. I certainly wouldn't mount the TV on the chimney breast without checking.

It seems to me that standing a TV on the mantle piece of a fire is asking for trouble as the slightest knock could cause it to fall off and break. Is there not another place on the wall available to place it?
Cheers for the reply. It is a normal flue that goes through the roof. I wasn't thinking of putting any of the tv weight on the chimney breast just a tether to stop any knocks causing a problem. Manufacturers are probably a good idea, I will send them an image and ask if there is any weight bearing structure in chimney breast that could support an 8-9kg tv.
Thanks very much. I will report back if they reply.