Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 07-01-2013, 12:34
Supporting Member

Default Rip off Britain

Did anyone see it this morning?

I just switched it on and it was about Holidays and the article just finishing was about a Static Caravan.......the chap didn't seem very happy

I'm going to have a look on iplayer later......watch this space.

ML.

Old 07-01-2013, 13:12
Banned

emmell. My mother in law told my wife about it she is 90 years old so it didnt make much sense so it would be good if you could let us know what it was about.
Old 07-01-2013, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuggiegreen View Post
emmell. My mother in law told my wife about it she is 90 years old so it didnt make much sense so it would be good if you could let us know what it was about.
It was about a well known group sub letting to pay for fees. Guy bought I think a twelve year old van which they sublet for him for one year. After a year as they only ever offer annual agreements it stopped. He was invoiced for a years fees as the van had not been sublet at all - he said they didn't tell him - they said they did.
He will have to sell or scrap it as he can't afford the fees. He really shouldn't of bought it in the first place as he needed to sublet to afford the costs. That sounds a bit harsh but they couldn't really afford it.

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/bluemax90/
Old 07-01-2013, 14:03
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemax90 View Post
It was about a well known group sub letting to pay for fees. Guy bought I think a twelve year old van which they sublet for him for one year. After a year as they only ever offer annual agreements it stopped. He was invoiced for a years fees as the van had not been sublet at all - he said they didn't tell him - they said they did.
He will have to sell or scrap it as he can't afford the fees. He really shouldn't of bought it in the first place as he needed to sublet to afford the costs. That sounds a bit harsh but they couldn't really afford it.
I think that can be a big problem. People lured into buying vans thinking they will get Holidays when they choose,for nothing,if they sublet.

It works for some I suppose, but with us we found that people wanted all the best weeks ie school holidays

I've gone off on a tangent now......but I will definitely watch it on BBC iplayer later.

ML.
Old 07-01-2013, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmell View Post
I think that can be a big problem. People lured into buying vans thinking they will get Holidays when they choose,for nothing,if they sublet.

It works for some I suppose, but with us we found that people wanted all the best weeks ie school holidays

I've gone off on a tangent now......but I will definitely watch it on BBC iplayer later.

ML.
Emmell the main issue was the age of the van, common sense should have told them it can't be used indefinitely but perhaps the the sales team told them something completely different I guess we will never know.

Old 07-01-2013, 15:58
Banned

bluemax. I dont think you can afford just to use common sense in the Caravan Park industry I think you need to ask the questions and get it all written down on your agreement with the park.Its a jungle out there we hear it pretty frequently like a 12 year old van being thrown off a park as its to old ?
Old 07-01-2013, 16:08

I think it's things like this which give owning a static caravan a bad name, you should read some of the things people on touring van forums have to say about it
According to some opinions, everyone and anyone who even contemplates buying a static needs their head examining, and all site owners are just there to rip people off. Makes me smile as there are quite a few ex tourers on here, including us
Bunty x
Old 07-01-2013, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuggiegreen View Post
bluemax. I dont think you can afford just to use common sense in the Caravan Park industry I think you need to ask the questions and get it all written down on your agreement with the park.Its a jungle out there we hear it pretty frequently like a 12 year old van being thrown off a park as its to old ?
Not being thrown off in this case they can't the afford fees, the van can stay - the thought of never having to pay site fees because you can sublet should at least create some doubt if there is no back up plan. (i.e. you are over stretching yourself)
If it sounds too good to be true - it probably is

Old 07-01-2013, 17:29
Banned

bluemax90. If you know nothing about the world of statics and your sitting in a nice demonstrator and the sales person says you can pay your annual fees by letting out your van and in fact on a sticker in the window says earn up to 6,000 by letting your van I think its very easy to be taken in .You and I are lucky we have a bit of experience to pull on many newbies dont. I met a guy nice chap who paid 55,000 for a 28ft van with 6,000 pa site fees and no decking allowed who thinks he got a good deal now heaven forbid that anything happens to him or his wife and they need to sell.
Old 07-01-2013, 18:05
Supporting Member

to be honest... i am getting a bit sick of people winging about owning a static and not being able to afford the running of it once they have parted with their cash.......

we go into it ( most of us) with our eyes wide open.... we check out the fees etc etc.. we ask the questions....CAN WE AFFORD IT YEAR ON YEAR??? we buy or we dont buy...

I have sat in on the H***n chat trying to sell me a van and O boy they are good!!..( we will sublet your van, you will get this/that/the other...... blah blah.... but listening to them made me want to boil my head!!

and i walked away and did my own thing......they kept phoning me up and offering me super duper deals but i still felt like they were ripping me off! they wouldn't leave us alone to discuss anything in private... they were only doing their job i suppose but it was very off-putting....

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE

Last edited by Tiamaria589; 07-01-2013 at 18:36.