Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion > Entertainment

Entertainment Chat about anything to do with Entertainment including music, films, TV etc

Old 27-10-2013, 13:47

Default Legal or not?

We have a great sense of community on our site. Communal BBQ's, days out and this weekend a Halloween party with great fun & games for the kids & lots of food for all and a fair quantity of booze for the adults. Next week a bonfire party before we all close down for the winter. Neither my wife nor myself have anything to do with the organisation of these events because we are both fairly severely disabled so we are always included but never do anything to help. I did do my share 2 years ago when I installed or rather used my knowledge to buy the stuff we needed to install site wide WiFi. I built each of the boxes to go on the lamp posts around site and then press ganged a couple of the more fit members of our site to install the units. There is one thing I could do but am not sure if it would be legal or not?
I am a BIG film fan and have a home cinema setup both at home & also in my caravan & one thing I was thinking I could do is to organise a weekly Saturday evening film show for the site kids, maybe a couple of cartoons & a big film. I have a key to our community room & can use that but I was wondering if it would be legal? There is always a warning at the start of a film saying its illegal to copy the film or use for public performance. Is that a blanket no-no or are they saying you can't charge to get people to watch the film? We are only talking about a dozen kids maybe for a free film show so even if its technically illegal, I don't think anyone would be bothered to descend on a caravan park miles from anywhere just to stop a dozen kids from watching a free film show so I am not bothered myself. I am worried though if it could cause any problem for the site owner. I know pubs & shops need a public music licence when anyone can enter the premises, but what about a private site?

Old 27-10-2013, 14:03

I don't know for sure, but suspect that you'd be OK as a private individual watching a film with friends not looking to make a profit. If the park owners did it though I think they could had a problem as it might be seen as being part of their business.

Of course you'd be very unlucky to be caught...

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube
Old 27-10-2013, 14:46
Supporting Member

Google it RRob......I don't think it makes a difference that it's private property it's the fact that you are showing it to the public.

I think if it was that easy to show films then most sites would offer it, and, I've never been in a Pub that shows Films......only Sky Sports

ML.
Old 27-10-2013, 16:11

Perhaps it would be all right if the kids were there by personal invite only (not come and bring all your friends). But you know how stroppy big corporations can be about things like that, and there is nothing they like better than chasing a little man.

Henry
Old 27-10-2013, 16:47

Well that would be it really. Every Saturday night I would take my projector & screen into the community room and set it up and watch a film. The door is not locked so If anyone else wanders in and sits down, that would be up to them. There would be no connection with the site owners at all & no advertising the film show and certainly no attempt to charge so I would like to know what they mean by public performance. I mean, if I am alone watching the film, thats OK. If a few members of the family happen to call around is that OK. What happens if they are not family but friends? How many would constitute public performance? It would seem to be open to some interpretation? Maybe not such a good idea though if its that vague. Might have to rethink.
Thanks for your comments.
Old 27-10-2013, 19:50

We aren't meant to show films to kids at school.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 19-02-2014, 22:59

If you've ever wondered what the pint glass is on the screen in pubs when Sky Sports is on, that indicates that the pub has paid for a public viewing. In the early days some pubs used to literally plug their sky boxes into the tv and put it on in the bar for all to see. Sky stopped that with the public viewing subscription and it displays the pint glass. Some pubs even put a sticker of the pint glass on their tv but Sky alter the level of beer in the glass periodically. They're not daft!
Old 20-02-2014, 03:56

My local boozer/club have Sky Irish at a reduced rate. To avoid the pint glass scenario they dangle a piece of cloth over the top right corner to cover it up.

May sound stupid but representatives of Sky have been in the club and they have not reported them for their actions. I've seen this first hand as well.
Old 20-02-2014, 08:45
Supporting Member

Although this is an oldish thread I still think that it is illegal to show films to the public.

My Sisters used to own a Cafe and they couldn't have the Radio on while they were preparing food because if Customers could hear it they would need a licence. I think at the start of DVD's it has warnings about showing to the public. A dozen people in your house, ok?.........a dozen people in a communal building, not ok?

ML.
Old 20-02-2014, 12:30

Not a bad idea actually. With the large wrap around seating which covers 3 of the walls of the lounge, I could probably get a dozen kids & a couple of parent supervisors in my caravan at a push. Then its just a group of friends sitting at home watching a film together eh? If I take my portable screen to my van this year I could set it up in the kitchen area instead of the lounge wall where the current fixed one is located. That would give us more room in the lounge and a 120 inch screen in the kitchen area which can clearly be seen without any obstruction from the lounge area.