Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > Marketplace > Static Caravan Wanted

Static Caravan Wanted Are you looking to buy a satic caravan? Why not tell us?

Old 28-01-2013, 13:26
Banned

emmell. You and I are thinking along the same lines better to keep looking and buy one with G/H and D/G fitted when it was built at the factory as once the purchase has been made it has to last a good few years.

Old 28-01-2013, 14:04

I would go for the first one, but I am already an Abi owner and I like a more modern look. I would want the double glazed option, but wouldn't worry about CH. We have it but are getting a couple of oil filled radiatord to use when just the two of us there, when we think CH will be expensive to run.
The other two look good on the wooden fittings, but I would end up spending money on new flooring, curtains etc.
Old 28-01-2013, 16:41

Keep looking. Make a list of exactly what you want-particularly kitchen and seating. I did a spreadsheet with all the things i wanted on it and each caravan we looked at went on the list. I gave each 'thing on the list' a weighted value. So that when i did the comparison one caravan came out with a higher score than the others. e.g. If under 10 k is the most important-give it a score of 5. If DG is next important give that a value of 4, etc, etc. If you have 10 things on your list the top weight will be 10-the lowest priority would be 1.

its a really objective way of doing things-and you can do it on the back of an envelope -if you don't do spreadsheets
Old 28-01-2013, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogabreathes View Post
Keep looking. Make a list of exactly what you want-particularly kitchen and seating. I did a spreadsheet with all the things i wanted on it and each caravan we looked at went on the list. I gave each 'thing on the list' a weighted value. So that when i did the comparison one caravan came out with a higher score than the others. e.g. If under 10 k is the most important-give it a score of 5. If DG is next important give that a value of 4, etc, etc. If you have 10 things on your list the top weight will be 10-the lowest priority would be 1.

its a really objective way of doing things-and you can do it on the back of an envelope -if you don't do spreadsheets
Wow! We should have known you last Summer! We just walked around different vans and then went back to our favourite for a second look. We wanted a two bed roomed van and we bought a three bed roomed one. We didn't know anyone to give us advice, but we are very happy with our choice.
Old 28-01-2013, 20:36
Banned

Marmo. Alls well that ends well,but yogabreathes method is a good idea.
Old 29-01-2013, 00:43

Gosh! What a lot to think about. Thank you all.
I like the Carnabys because I like all the wood although I'm not a big fan of terracotta. I have been sent lots of photos of both vans including pics of the faults. The Hainsworth is immaculate. The Banbury shows signs of use including a damaged bedroom door. SurfBay Leisure will replace the carpets on either van.
The only things the ABI has that attracts me is it's age, the pitched roof and the modern look. The size is a little off putting and it doesn't have the solid look of the other two.
There are not many 10ft vans around and ones already with DG are like hen's teeth so it means travelling long distances to view on my own. I have friends who would like to come with me but they work full time and I would need somebody to come in and let the dog out. She's not used to being on her own for long periods. So although buying without viewing is far from ideal, it is actually much more appealing, unless the van happens to be within an hour and a half of Wolverhampton, which the 2 Carnaby's aren't.
It's a big problem because we bought our van for the plot and intended replacing it last season. I really have no desire to go and stay in the van I have now. and yet I can't see me being able to find another unless I buy without viewing.

Old 29-01-2013, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elless View Post
Gosh! What a lot to think about. Thank you all.
I like the Carnabys because I like all the wood although I'm not a big fan of terracotta. I have been sent lots of photos of both vans including pics of the faults. The Hainsworth is immaculate. The Banbury shows signs of use including a damaged bedroom door. SurfBay Leisure will replace the carpets on either van.
The only things the ABI has that attracts me is it's age, the pitched roof and the modern look. The size is a little off putting and it doesn't have the solid look of the other two.
There are not many 10ft vans around and ones already with DG are like hen's teeth so it means travelling long distances to view on my own. I have friends who would like to come with me but they work full time and I would need somebody to come in and let the dog out. She's not used to being on her own for long periods. So although buying without viewing is far from ideal, it is actually much more appealing, unless the van happens to be within an hour and a half of Wolverhampton, which the 2 Carnaby's aren't.
It's a big problem because we bought our van for the plot and intended replacing it last season. I really have no desire to go and stay in the van I have now. and yet I can't see me being able to find another unless I buy without viewing.
Didn't comment earlier because I wasn't sure which one was better, I guess it must be down to your personal preference which as an opinion is as much use as a chocolate teapot.
The point you brought up laterally about not wanting to go to the current van, You went through a loss last year, I presume that would change if you replaced it (the van that is ). If there is any doubt take your time. Buy in haste repent at leisure. Perhaps at the start of the season a few more 10 feet vans might appear for sale as people give up if you can't make a decision just now.

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/bluemax90/

Last edited by bluemax90; 29-01-2013 at 10:07.
Old 29-01-2013, 09:34
Banned

Elless. Its a big purchase you are thinking of making please dont buy without viewing as you are taking a huge risk if you do.Try to be patient as bluemax stated there may be more vans that suit you at the beginning of the season.It is a great pity you dont live near me im retired and would have had the time to view vans with you but unfortunately the distance is the problem.Good Luck.
Old 29-01-2013, 17:58

That's really kind Shuggie. Distance is a problem. I would love to find a van up there that I don't have to transport hundreds of miles. I know it's a risk but I think it's a risk I'm going to have to take in the long run. The people that look after my caravan for me did it and they were more than happy with what they got but I'm sure that's not always the case. I wouldn't buy privately without seeing but I'm sure there are still a lot of honest people around including dealers.
I'm still very tempted by the 2 Carnabys and they have reduced the price to 8k including transport.
Were vans of that age ever fitted with DG? I didn't think there were many, so that would limit my choices even more. I'm thinking that even if I get one that has DG, it was more likely to have been retro fitted. Am I wrong?
Old 29-01-2013, 18:01

I think 10ft vans are often budget vans and in the age you are looking at it was only top of the range vans that it came as standard on. People on our site who have had double glazing retro fitted are pleased with it.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.