Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion > Entertainment

Entertainment Chat about anything to do with Entertainment including music, films, TV etc

Old 03-01-2015, 15:22

Default Park wifi

hi all, the park wifi is terrible on our park and i can only get it with a good booster which connects to the laptop with a usb plug, is there a way of making this booster in my can go wireless so i haven't got to sit on me bed all the time as the lead wont reach me lounge area, i know i cannot use a usb extension lead as they don't work over 5 meters, we can only run 1 lap top off it at a time too and the kids want to use there phones wifi etc, anyone know a way of doing this by adding a modem of some sort i can plug the booster into,

Old 03-01-2015, 15:33

You could checkout Amazon for a Netgear Trek. There are other options but this will give you an idea. You plug it into a socket preferably at window height or maybe an extension lead. It connects to the site WiFi at the same power level as a normal router which is around 100 milliwatts. Your laptop transmit power is only around 10 milliwatt so a lot more transmit power & a better receiver & antenna. You find the site WiFi from a list of any available in range and select it and enter the site Wifi password which then connects the unit to the site WiFi. Then you connect to the SSID of the Trek unit with your laptop. You can use as many devices you wish inside your caravan. The advantage of this unit is that you get your own SSID & private password so only you can use it. Also the Trek units have an onboard firewall which provides a barrier between you and the site public WiFi in the unlikely event you have some hacker around. Available for less than 25. You sometimes see them as an Amazon daily deal. I paid 17 for mine.
You could also use any WiFi repeater unit to do the job but many of these just repeat everything they see so you may be sharing your caravan signal with your neighbours!

Last edited by RRRob; 03-01-2015 at 15:36.
Old 03-01-2015, 20:27

When you say the WiFi is terrible, do you mean your location on the park or no matter where you are on the park the WiFi is poor. If it a problem with connection to the park, perhaps distance from the exchange there won't be great deal you could do to enhance an already poor signal.

We currently use Alfa USB aerials but you would need the sort of things RRRob has suggested to transmit signal intrnally

With other devices also wanting to connect not only in your van but others in many other vans it can easily grind to a halt. Unfortunately in recent times peoples use of the internet for streaming TV, Football matches and films has increased incredibly. We have a similar issue on our park and we are basically at the end of a standard phone line and are too far from the exchange. The next village about 1.5 miles along the coast was one of the first BT converted to Infinity (word on the street is BT managers have holiday homes there).

We are considering satellite broadband on a PAYG contract but that is expensive to run if you start streaming.

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/bluemax90/
Old 03-01-2015, 21:11

Thats great advice. If its bandwidth congestion then nothing you buy will make any difference! We only have 8 meg bandwidth for the whole site & as stated, when people try to connect smart TV's & other devices, it can almost destroy the useability of the site WiFi for everyone else. Luckily I don't have that problem as it was myself who installed our site WiFi so I have blocked all video, so no BBC Iplayer, ITV player, Sky Go, etc. If they want to view these things, then they can download them on their own home WiFi & then bring them down to site to watch. I did get one grumble from one chap who had a Toshiba smart TV when I completely blocked his MAC address but serves him right as he was slowing down the site WiFi for everybody. So I agree that you should check if its lack of signal or lack of bandwidth. If its lack of signal, then the kind of device I mentioned will fix it, but if its bandwith congestion, then don't waste your money.
Old 03-01-2015, 22:25

Default Park wi fi

I use my phone as a mobile hot spot and this works really well with my lap top and my wife's tablet.
Old 12-01-2015, 13:43

i have a booster outside now to pick it up which works good but can only use 1 device still as it plugs straight into the laptop, im at the far end of the site from their antenna to pick it up with out a booster box outside but some how need to divide it into 2 or it bounce of my laptop to hers
Old 12-01-2015, 14:45

Th Trek can either be powered by a small PSU or by USB so you could put it in a waterproof box outside the caravan and then connect it wirelessly to the site WiFi & then have as many devices inside your caravan as you like connected via the Treks own SSID which you can rename as anything you like. It also has a password different from the one used by the site WiFi so only you can use it.You could even turn off the SSID broadcast so it would not show up on anyones list of available WiFi. So unless you know its there & input the SSID manually, to everyone else, it does not exist. Also, if you buy one from Amazon just before your next visit & if it does not work, you have 30 days to return it for a refund.

Last edited by RRRob; 12-01-2015 at 16:17.
Old 12-01-2015, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRob View Post
Th Trek can either be powered by a small PSU or by USB so you could put it in a waterproof box outside the caravan and then connect it wirelessly to the site WiFi & then have as many devices inside your caravan as you like connected via the Treks own SSID which you can rename as anything you like. It also has a password different from the one used by the site WiFi so only you can use it.You could even turn off the SSID broadcast so it would not show up on anyones list of available WiFi. So unless you know its there & input the SSID manually, to everyone else, it does not exist. Also, if you buy one from Amazon just before your next visit & if it does not work, you have 30 days to return it for a refund.
The one slight problem with setting up an additional wifi hotspot is the issue of wifi interfere. There's only 11 channels and I've got an issue with one area where a couple of customers have BT lines and their routers are bashing out strong signals is upsetting the performance of one of the masts. I would also warn that systems like ours would not allow customers to connect devices like the trek to our system as authentication is handled through a web browser where the user enters a unique code from a ticket we issue.

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube
Old 12-01-2015, 22:40

Old Reece

Do you have to pay for your wifi, if so have you informed the park that your reception is poor.

Also how many users are in your van in total you mention OH and children.

Could you not have a phone line put in.
Old 13-01-2015, 09:25
Social Media Boss

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Hi, there are lots of threads with useful tips and advice regarding internet connection of different kinds, here's a link to a page with some of them (just try the search button ) personally we have fitted Satellite Broadband, but it depends whether you're allows it.

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/search.php?searchid=676180

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

My 'New Old Girl'