Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Selling A Caravan

Selling A Caravan Discussion about selling a caravan.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:08

Default Welsh Assembly looking at park owners on selling charge

Something I read on a caravan forum...

"I heard something today which will be of interest to all static caravan owners.A couple on our site,have moved the the site next door which has park homes you can live in permanently.last week the Mrs from the couple was approached by a member of the Welsh assembly,and asked if she would fill in a questionnaire about Static caravan sites,the assembly member started chanting to her about the rules that we have on our static site,as it stands we have no written rules or agreement of any description.He went on to tell her that the Welsh Gov,had decided to stop the practice of site owners being able to charge 15% of the sale cost when a static owner sold their caravan.He told her that the Welsh Gov,stating that when you sell your house you don't have to pay anyone because the house belongs to you.and that it should be the same with caravans.They are your property and if you want to sell it you should not have to pay this 15%.
He told her that the English Government were also going to make this practice illegal.I hope this is the case as at some time or other it will affect all of us"

Old 11-08-2017, 07:40

Very interesting post. I realise that there will be some who don't agree with a ruling like that but it does seem to be an unfair practice.

It will be interesting to see if anything happens. I would also be interested to hear the views of the park owners on the forum.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:43

Wonder if the representative of the Welsh Assembly had a woolly hat, a beard, and an earnest expression....
Old 11-08-2017, 11:16

Thats the yearly site fees increased then. Don't think they will stand the loss of sales fees without passing it on in other ways.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRob View Post
Thats the yearly site fees increased then. Don't think they will stand the loss of sales fees without passing it on in other ways.
agreed.

"when you sell your house you don't have to pay anyone because the house belongs to you.and that it should be the same with caravans"

but on the other hand you don't pay an estate agent or solicitor etc. and the buyer doesn't pay stamp duty.

another example of these pathetic wannabe politicians trying to justify their existence or maybe the Welsh assembly are interested in levying some sort of caravan transaction levy and they want rid of the competition.
If they managed that and could also introduce a residency tax for sheep they'd be the richest "government" in the world.
Old 11-08-2017, 13:37

Just to be annoying...
I believe that the Welsh Assembly ARE considering a review of the commission - for residential homes (currently 10%, no VAT applies).
There is no information on any plans to review or change the commission on holiday vans.
I would be smiling - if I lived in Wales (especially as the Welsh Assembly changed the annual increase in pitch fee to use CPI instead of RPI, which is a much bigger deal in my view, bearing in mind that a Park home is usually a last move).
I suspect that whoever was talking to your ex-neighbour was nothing to do with the Welsh Assembly or any legislation, just somebody spreading a bit of mis-information.
I also see that the first part of the Welsh statement stressed the importance of buyers being made fully aware of contractual obligations - while this refers to residential park homes, it would just as well apply to holiday homes, as both sectors seem to suffer from buyers plunging head first into a purchase without making any independent investigations, or even reading the terms of sale.
Old 11-08-2017, 17:20

Sounds like he was concerned they didn't have written agreement or written rules as well...
Old 11-08-2017, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
Sounds like he was concerned they didn't have written agreement or written rules as well...
On a licensed residential site, all parties are bound by Consolidated Implied Terms, which are laid down in law and apply even if there is no written agreement.
They are fairly basic, but outline the right to keep your home on the pitch, the right to sell or assign, the responsibility to pay the pitch fee, the responsibility to keep your home and pitch clean and tidy, etc.
Additional site rules can form part of the contract, but these rules have to be lodged with the local council after consultation with the residents - if they are not lodged with the council, they do not apply.
No site rule or contract can change or contradict the Implied Terms.
Old 13-08-2017, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRob View Post
Perhaps that issue could be addressed at the same time.