Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion > Entertainment

Entertainment Chat about anything to do with Entertainment including music, films, TV etc

Old 07-02-2014, 08:36

Default Talk Talk TV

Our site has promised Fibre Optic Broadband for the comming season(I'll beleive it when I see it)
Will i be able to install my Talk Talk TV box which give me access to catch up and movies ect

Many Thanks

Old 07-02-2014, 10:16

I would query what they meant by fibre optic Broadband....as it may just mean that the feed into the sites router is feed by fibre....and then is fed to vans via Wifi...
If they are providing each van with fibre optic feed then that is a massive job on your site..
Please give them a ring to confirm what they actually mean....
Old 07-02-2014, 11:15

Absolutely! If you get a fibre optic connection direct to your caravan then, yes its fine. If they mean as TT says that its just the main router which is getting its feed via fibre optic then no way unless you want to kill the internet connection to all your neighbours. I have had this argument with a couple of people on our site. I installed our site WiFi & it works great for everyone as long as they are only doing Emails, web pages & the occaisional Skype contact. But if only 1 person tries to watch TV or video using the site WiFi it slows down the connection by half for everyone else. If 2 people at once try it, then the WiFi stops working completely for everyone. The trouble is that the people causing the problem & being antisocial to their neighbours often can't see there is a problem. Thats because WiFi is transmitted using small packets of data so if one of your neighbours requests a webpage and another an Email then the router will deal with each request in turn and it only takes a few seconds to transmit the packets of data to view a webpage or Email. If however you tell the system to download a video stream for say, a football match, then nobody else can use the system because the router is spending 90 minutes flat out supplying you with your request and everyone else on site suffers. The problem is, these antisocial users may not even realise they are causing a problem to everyone else because their internet is working fine while everyone else has none at all because the TV viewer is using the entire bandwidth which is meant to be shared by everyone.
Old 07-02-2014, 17:19

Nope talktalk recognise your phone line so I doubt it will work away from home.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 07-02-2014, 20:05

Sorry Maddy but have to question your comment. It doesn't need to be connected to anything apart from the aerial. We bought a TalkTalk Freeview Box which we use at home. Although we are with TalkTalk it isn't connected to the telephone line. We were so pleased with the picture quality and advantages that we bought a second one for the caravan and that is also only connected to the aerial like the one at home and it all works - or at least it did the last time we were down there. Would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. My son-in-law also has one similary connected without any problems either. Keep your eyes open and with a bit of luck you will be able to purchase a new one for about 75, including delivery, on eBay. And don't take any notice of those who advertise and say that you need a TalkTalk phone line to receive.
Old 07-02-2014, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside21 View Post
Sorry Maddy but have to question your comment. It doesn't need to be connected to anything apart from the aerial. We bought a TalkTalk Freeview Box which we use at home. Although we are with TalkTalk it isn't connected to the telephone line. We were so pleased with the picture quality and advantages that we bought a second one for the caravan and that is also only connected to the aerial like the one at home and it all works - or at least it did the last time we were down there. Would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. My son-in-law also has one similary connected without any problems either. Keep your eyes open and with a bit of luck you will be able to purchase a new one for about 75, including delivery, on eBay. And don't take any notice of those who advertise and say that you need a TalkTalk phone line to receive.
Think OP was asking can he use it for catch up and movies etc.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:29

I stand my ground and think catch up and movies require a network connection. Ours was free from talktalk so may be different but I can't see how catchup and movies would arrive via the aerial.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:37

This below answers the question. (Top of Page)

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/getting-...et-talktalk-tv
Old 08-02-2014, 11:11

Although our TV has freeview...we have a recorder that is Freeview+ connected ..great for pausing live TV...

So you peeps that take your talkTalk box with you ...does it record ??? or is it just freeview...or do you use all your wifi band width on your site,to watch catch up etc.
Old 08-02-2014, 19:32

Hi Maddy, Well I don't know about films but we regularly use it at home for catch up (demand TV). I'm no expert so I can't explain or justify my comments apart from saying that it does work, at home at least. Haven't tried using it for catch up at the van as haven't had it there that long and tend not watch films, except those that we record through direct to the box, and wouldn't use it for watching pay as you go films anyway. It has been a whole new learning curve to us as pensioners!
When we were looking for one I saw conflicting postings some saying you needed TalkTalk modem and connection and others saying that you didn't. I went back and asked my son-in-law who told me that we didn't need to be connected to a TalkTalk modem and sure enough we haven't found the necessity to date. I can perhaps understand it regarding films as I would expect those specifically requested to be the subject of a charge via your TalkTalk account. Perhaps it's to do with whatever model box you have?
Here are details of a TalkTalk box currently listed:-
•Up to 1080p Crystal Clear HD!
•No Talk Talk account required for operation!
•Built in ON DEMAND function!
•BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD, Demand 5 AND MORE built in!
•Record and Playback functionality!
•7 DAY Scroll back function - Never miss a thing!
Don't think people would advertise as such if it wasn't so. Drop in and have a look for yourself when passing.
I can only speak for what we've found and have no reason to comment other than favourably. It gives a better picture than using a Humax box as well!