Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion > Entertainment

Entertainment Chat about anything to do with Entertainment including music, films, TV etc

Old 21-10-2014, 20:15

Exclamation Teamviewer.com internet/phone scam

Head up guys.

Just hung up on an Asian IT imposter. He called under the guise he was from my internet provider's IT department and had noticed poor internet speed caused by a virus.
First alarm bell, no mention of Talk Talk.

He then tried to direct me to download a programme to rectify the speed. While he was pushing his so called advice, I was Googling 'team viewer scam', team viewer being the name of the web site I was directed to.

Yep I was right, big fat scam.

Old 21-10-2014, 20:37
Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up hovis..
We have to keep our wits about us don't we?
Especially emails??
They are the worst!

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 21-10-2014, 20:38

Team viewer is a great app, but I'm sure he'd have loved you to use it to get into your PC.

I now try and keep them on the phone as long as possible to keep them away from folk who might not know better.

They make me sick!

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube
Old 21-10-2014, 21:18

Agree with TT, teamviewer is a great programme but it allows access to your pc.

Be aware of the call as that's where the scam is, no organisation will call you with a problem and even the police will come round rather than call.

H.
Old 21-10-2014, 21:23
Departed Friend

i had a call from "microsoft"saying my computer was sending distress calls to them,and for a fee they could go into my computer to remove the virus.after a few choice 4 letter words from me,and mentioning the police, the line went dead.
Old 21-10-2014, 22:53

I'm sick of these cold callers. I had 17 yesterday. One was telling me my pc had a Microsoft virus when I asked how he know he said a message had been sent when I said I had an apple Mac (I don't) he put the phone down.
I'm so sick of these calls on the land line and Talk talk can't/won't help I've unplugged my land line phones and chucked them in the bin. When my contract is up I will cancel it. Talk Talk will only give you a new tel number if you get a crime reference number from the Police!!!! I don't want to be laughed out of the Police station and they have enough to do anyway. Ah well, the end of an 8 yr relationship with talk talk.
Old 22-10-2014, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traction View Post
I'm sick of these cold callers. I had 17 yesterday.
Have you registered your phone number to this organisation. Once registered if a company cold calls they can be fined. http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/number_type.html
Old 22-10-2014, 08:32

Send a message via MSN to Bobsnobs Send a message via Skype™ to Bobsnobs

I had a call to a similar nature I then went on to tell him I am just getting my IP address details and put the phone in the drawer. You wouldn't believe around 1.5 hours later he was still holding....hahaha childish I know but boy did I laugh

Last edited by Bobsnobs; 22-10-2014 at 15:38.
Old 22-10-2014, 09:13
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsnobs View Post
I had a call to a similar nature I then went on to tell him I am just getting my IP address details and put the phone in the drawer. You wouldn't believe around 1.5 hours later he was still holder....hahaha childish I know but boy did I laugh
Haha, nice one.
I told one I was ex-directory so how did he get my details? And he had compromised my situation by calling me

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 22-10-2014, 09:37
Supporting Member

Unfortunately the TPS (telephone preference service) only works if you are being called from the UK, it has no control over overseas companies. In addition UK companies have to check with the TPS if you are on their database (we are) but a lot of companies don't bother. According to a recent TV program the TPS is fairly ineffectual as they haven't actually fined any companies yet. Our calls have cut down since we registered but for the ones we still get (PPI, industrial deafness !!!) my standard answer is - can you give me your company address, we are registered with the TPS, you'll be hearing from them, they usually ring off straight away.
The computer scam is more worrying. If you download Team Viewer (other similar software is available- grin) and give them your IP address you are in trouble, they can access your computer and even remotely control it. Fortunately I'm computer savvy (my qualifications are in Computing and Accountancy) but not everybody is. My son is also a University lecturer in Computer Forensics and information security so has given me many tips about what to do and not do. (never, ever, ever give your IP address)
If I have time and I'm feeling wicked, I just keep them on the line, it's surprising that they assume that as they're talking to an old (er) woman I'm really stupid. I can keep it up for ages - Oh my computer sent you a message , how clever - which button did you say to press - sorry I missed that can you say it again - I've pressed that one but I can't see the numbers you want - can you just wait I've got to turn the cooker off . When I've had enough I usually turn it round by asking why would I want to give you my IP address, or even, are you sure that you're from Microsoft and had a message from my computer because my Apple Mac doesn't talk to Microsoft. One guy even swore at me in Indian.

Last edited by Bells64; 22-10-2014 at 09:39.