Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion > Entertainment

Entertainment Chat about anything to do with Entertainment including music, films, TV etc

Old 15-04-2015, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by the batman View Post
Since we are talking about Sky can anybody help with these questions.

In addition, she was able to record stuff on her first Sky box from the internal disc to DVDs, thus allowing her to save with some degree of permanency stuff she really cherished. She says that she could not do this on her new box and was told that it was set up to be impossible. Is this really true or could any passing nine year old do this for her?

Henry
I don't know if this works with the new HD Sky boxes because I'm still using an old Sky+ box, however, what I do is record from my Sky box to my DVD recorder.

I have a scart lead plugged into the back of my Sky box and the other end plugged into my DVD recorder. The Scart sockets on the back of my DVD recorder are labelled AV1, AV2 etc. Mine is plugged into AV1. My Sky box is connected to the TV using AV4 and my DVD recorder is connected to the TV using AV2.

To access my DVD recorder I press AV2 on my TV remote. Once my DVD recorder channel is visible I press 'Input' on my DVD remote until the channel AV1 is visible. This channel is the one connected to Sky. I can now see my Sky programmes. I go into my planner and press the red button for copy. I set the recording time in my DVD recorder planner, press return then, when it starts to record, I get my Sky remote and press select to play the programme I want to copy.

You either have to sit and watch it while it is on or if you want to leave it. Do not switch off the Sky box or the DVD recorder, but you can press standby or off on your TV. It then records onto the DVD recorder.

Old 15-04-2015, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
I don't know if this works with the new HD Sky boxes because I'm still using an old Sky+ box, however, what I do is record from my Sky box to my DVD recorder.

I have a scart lead plugged into the back of my Sky box and the other end plugged into my DVD recorder. The Scart sockets on the back of my DVD recorder are labelled AV1, AV2 etc. Mine is plugged into AV1. My Sky box is connected to the TV using AV4 and my DVD recorder is connected to the TV using AV2.

To access my DVD recorder I press AV2 on my TV remote. Once my DVD recorder channel is visible I press 'Input' on my DVD remote until the channel AV1 is visible. This channel is the one connected to Sky. I can now see my Sky programmes. I go into my planner and press the red button for copy. I set the recording time in my DVD recorder planner, press return then, when it starts to record, I get my Sky remote and press select to play the programme I want to copy.

You either have to sit and watch it while it is on or if you want to leave it. Do not switch off the Sky box or the DVD recorder, but you can press standby or off on your TV. It then records onto the DVD recorder.
Thanks Firefly. One day, when I am feeling strong enough I may try to explain that to my m-i-l. I wonder if there is a simple way to explain what a scart lead/scart socket is. I feel I am likely to come up against "But I've never done it like that".

Henry
Old 19-05-2015, 18:25

I am now taking the second box to the van on every trip and it works fine. 11.25 extra per month on Sky subscription. And Tree Tops, I have just sent for some of those push on plug things to make it a bit easier. Very good...thanks everyone.
Old 20-05-2015, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
And Tree Tops, I have just sent for some of those push on plug things to make it a bit easier. Very good...thanks everyone.
I don't have many uses, but I know a bit about TV!

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube
Old 28-06-2015, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I am now taking the second box to the van on every trip and it works fine. 11.25 extra per month on Sky subscription. And Tree Tops, I have just sent for some of those push on plug things to make it a bit easier. Very good...thanks everyone.
Hi Neil. Sorry for the questions, I've spent hours looking into this and am still confused as to what's involved (easily done). Did you sUbscribe to multiscreen and have it standard installed at home first? This is the bit that concerns me. Is your second box fully functioning with pause, rewind etc?

Thanks
Old 28-06-2015, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertie's Lodge View Post
Hi Neil. Sorry for the questions, I've spent hours looking into this and am still confused as to what's involved (easily done). Did you sUbscribe to multiscreen and have it standard installed at home first? This is the bit that concerns me. Is your second box fully functioning with pause, rewind etc?

Thanks
You can either take your main box to the caravan every time you go or subscribe to multi room at home and take the multiroom box to the park and install a dish (if the park hasn't installed their own communal dish system like we have)

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube
Old 28-06-2015, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
You can either take your main box to the caravan every time you go or subscribe to multi room at home and take the multiroom box to the park and install a dish (if the park hasn't installed their own communal dish system like we have)
Thanks TreeTops. I know the boxes no longer need to be connected to a phone line but the new boxes have built in wifi - is this the new way to check where the boxes are? Guess you don't need to connect to the site wifi unless you want to use on demand/catch up though, i.e. just use the second box to watch tv/sky sports etc without wifi?

We don't have a communal dish - would have to instal our own but if the boys can watch PNE in the Championship etc they'll be happy.
Old 28-06-2015, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick1950 View Post
from june 1st my sky package is increasing 4.50 a month.daylight robbery.
I had a similar increase letter a few months ago, and it prompted me to post this on another forum that I belong to...

We've had Sky in either mine or my wife's name virtually since its inception but I've been thinking of cancelling it for weeks, I just can't get my head around the fact that a % of my monthly payment, however small, goes to fund the likes of Wayne Rooney, including him screaming down a camera at me.

Today was the final straw when I received mail from them telling me that my current subscription of 57.50 a month, which doesn't include movies by the way, is going up by another 4 a month. Pushed over the edge I rang them to cancel, I was offered all of the usual stuff like 'you can knock off the sport', 'I can give you a 20% reduction for 10 months', blah, blah, blah... erm, no!

So I've cancelled, the only things that I would miss on Netflix would be Game of Thrones and Vikings, as to be perfectly honest I hardly ever watch the sport. So it's gonna be Netflix for me plus a laptop to stream those programs that are not available such as GOT and Vikings. I might even get a smart TV and a VPN and run Kodi.

Stuff 'em, and I don't care what offers they come back with, I've had enough!

Since then I have purchased a 4k smart TV and I find myself being able to either download or stream directly to the TV completely free of charge. I get all the Game of Thrones episodes a day before they're available on Sky, I've watched the complete third series of Vikings which isn't even available yet from Sky yet, and I get virtually any movie of my desire, even one's that Sky are yet to broadcast.

Get a smart TV if you have good internet speeds, the saving on the Sky subs will pay for your TV within a few short months!
Old 01-07-2015, 14:16

Stochman Do you get reduction if you have your own broadband and telephone line on site as well as at home?,
as we can't have a smart tv on the parks wifi....also Skygo won't work unless we have our own bt line....
Old 01-07-2015, 15:05

We have multi room in the house and pay for it and took the 2nd box to the van the multiroom Sky box it worked for a week but then sky somehow found out and scrambled the channels I now only have the free channels even though I'm paying for multiroom at home
Time to threaten sky with cancellation I think