Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion > Entertainment

Entertainment Chat about anything to do with Entertainment including music, films, TV etc

Old 07-08-2015, 15:59

Default Tv licence

Does my home TV Licence cover me for my holiday caravan also?

http://joloholidayhome.weebly.com/

Old 07-08-2015, 16:42

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...cond-home-aud8

As long as no one is at your home when you are at your van you are covered....
Old 07-08-2015, 18:48

Also if you do not let out your van to others. You need to download a form & fill it in & post it back to TV licensing. You have to guarantee that you will only use your TV at your van when your house is empty. If some stay at home &both your home TV is in use and your caravan TV then you need 2 licences. If you rent out your van to anyone or even if you allow other family members to use it, then you need 2 licences. I would think if that family members house was empty & they were only using your caravan TV and no one was at home using their TV, you may be able to stretch a point as long as your family members were not paying you to use your van. You have to tell TV licensing your TV licence number, your home address, the address of your caravan park & the pitch you occupy & guarantee it will only be used by yourself.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:04

Thanks for the advice.

http://joloholidayhome.weebly.com/
Old 17-08-2015, 17:11

Thanks didn't know that
Old 07-09-2015, 22:10

A little info about the enforcement side of things with TV licensing, as I understand it.

In the old days with Cathode Ray Tubes the detector equipment used by TV Licensing Enforcement could pick up a signal emitted by the TV. The equipment could even tell which channel was being watched by the signal emitted. That was back when there were only 4 or 5 channels. I think there was a belief in the old days that it was an old wives tale that the TV detector vans could actually detect anything but I have seen the equipment in action and it could.

BUT

Modern flat screen tv's don't emit anything so the authorities have no way of knowing you are watching tv unless they peek in the window or ask you. I don't even know that peeking in your window would be allowed under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers legislation.

If you have a licence for your home address but don't have one for your caravan then the only way they can prove you are watching tv at the caravan while someone is watching tv at home is to either have enforcement officers watching both locations and can see a tv in operation at both sites or knock on your respective doors and for both parties to admit they were watching tv.

I'm certainly not advocating forum members don't comply with current legislation but it does kinda highlight how unenforceable the current set up is with tv licensing. And I think the authorities realise that when they are talking about abolishing tv licensing in favour of an alternative tax.
Old 08-09-2015, 00:42

Very good information thanks
Old 08-09-2015, 12:53

Default TV licensing

Unless you actually tell them you have a caravan (why would you want to do that? they have a 'right' to ask but you have no obligation at all to answer any of their unsolicited questions or correspondence) or have a new TV delivered there by a retailer - the retailer is then obliged to inform them of the address - that's how they know anyone in the UK has a TV incidentally - then I do not see how the licensing people could possibly know.
You have paid for the licence at home, in order for the BBC to pay over-inflated salaries to so-called 'personalities' and staff too for that matter, regardless of whether you watch any of their programmes so why double-up in this over-taxed country.
If they do visit, whether at home or at your caravan, they have no right whatsoever to enter your property or harass you by looking through windows etc. You do not have to answer ANY or their questions, including your name or address. Simply ask them to leave. A good technique is to advise them that you're a member of the 'anti-licence campaign and know your rights' you'll be surprised how quick they'll leave. Remember, these people are on performance-related bonuses and know very well that there are easier pickings elsewhere amongst the ill-informed public!
The LAW allows you to watch TV providing it is not actually being broadcast at that moment, so services such as catch-up TV including (at least at the moment) the BBC's own heavily advertised IPlayer are all perfectly legal without a licence!
Old 28-12-2015, 19:38

If I remember correctly when i looked into this a few years ago I didn't need a licence for my van as was advisd the holiday park operaters would need a hotel licence to cover the park, not sure about residential situations but wasn't aware my home licence would cover my van if as said no one was watching TV in my house at the time.