Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 28-03-2018, 22:43
Supporting Member

Default What is a lodge?

Dear all, what makes a static caravan a lodge? I am looking at a Carnaby Helmsley lodge which just looks like a static but with wood cladding. Am I missing something?

Old 29-03-2018, 00:00

Think lodge are 16 ft wide?
Old 29-03-2018, 05:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
Think lodge are 16 ft wide?
Mine is only 14 ft wide! But 42 ft long! I think the spec is the factor, resi, cladding etc
Old 29-03-2018, 07:50
Supporting Member

Lodges are built to residential spec.whilst statics are often only to a 3seasons spec ( although on some the residential spec. is available ).
As to size static caravans at 40ft long and 14ft wide are overlapping with lodge sizes.
So when does a caravan become a lodge ( both have chassis & wheels ) ? Nowadays it seems to depend on the manufacturer and whether they want to charge the “ lodge premium”
Or is that just cynical me?
Old 29-03-2018, 09:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Lodges are built to residential spec.whilst statics are often only to a 3seasons spec ( although on some the residential spec. is available ).
As to size static caravans at 40ft long and 14ft wide are overlapping with lodge sizes.
So when does a caravan become a lodge ( both have chassis & wheels ) ? Nowadays it seems to depend on the manufacturer and whether they want to charge the “ lodge premium”
I have just bought a single lodge but my site doubtless some of the upgraded caravans as lodges like the Willerby Aspen for example. Yet they have all the features. Even the industry describe the classification as vague!
Old 29-03-2018, 09:42

The cynic in me says it is a cunning way manufacturers increase the price and in some cases add a mere foot to the width so they call it a lodge and trouser a larger profit.

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/bluemax90/
Old 29-03-2018, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemax90 View Post
The cynic in me says it is a cunning way manufacturers increase the price and in some cases add a mere foot to the width so they call it a lodge and trouser a larger profit.
You could be right, but with the increase in size in recent years and the specifications matching those of bigger lodges, as in res I spec, trace heating, outside cladding etc they now fall into that category and get longer licences.
Old 29-03-2018, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
There are many different manufacturers building lodges and although they are usually built to BS3632 2015 standard some of them are built to Caravan standard with the added extra of having BS3632 2015 standard. That has to comply with certain thermal standards and with the addition of French doors or patio doors.The standard is for all year living and obviously retains the heat better and consequently, they have better soundproofing.

Depending on the manufacturer you may have plasterboard walls instead of the wall boarding that is generally used in caravans. Furniture tends to be of a better standard depending on the price you pay and you can generally personalize a lodge but it cost you.

Regarding sizes, you can have up to 65 foot long by 13 to 28 feet wide.The standard is similar to a wood framed house. So there is quite a difference.

It's horses for courses.

Last edited by Mosquito; 29-03-2018 at 12:39.
Old 29-03-2018, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemax90 View Post
Some are called lodge and are 37x13,or smaller and are same spec as a van,not bs3632,in fact our van is higher spec than some of these vans named lodge..so maybe it's just a marketing ploy...
Old 29-03-2018, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
Some are called lodge and are 37x13,or smaller and are same spec as a van,not bs3632,in fact our van is higher spec than some of these vans named lodge..so maybe it's just a marketing ploy...
Well thats it. I'm moving from a caravan with res I spec and trace heating to a lodge with the same except it has Canexel and is bigger. And the big one, 25 year licence instead of 15.