Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > Introduction

Introduction Why not take a moment to introduce yourself.

Old 30-10-2013, 06:32

Default Newbie in need of advice

Hi everyone, I'm Steve and I'm looking for advice.

My Mum passed earlier in the year and left me some money. I thought I'd like to simplify my life and maybe buy a static and then be able to work maybe 3 days a week. I did used to work with someone who lived on a site but had to find alternative accommodation when the park closed. Sadly I have no way to get in touch to ask how he did it.
I've read the reference hub but can't afford the price of a park home, I can manage a caravan though.
Does anyone here use a static as their permanent residence? Officialy or not. How do you go about getting post, going to work and getting the internet?
So many questions, sorry!
I hope you guys can help me as I really think this would be a great opportunity for me.
Cheers
Steve

Old 30-10-2013, 06:53
Social Media Boss

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Hi, welcome to the forum. Here's a link to a few threads with info you may find helpful.

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/search.php?searchid=544604

Treetops has a page on his website that is very helpful.

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

My 'New Old Girl'
Old 16-11-2013, 16:09

Hi Steve

I too am new and after spending some time on the forum here I realise that I know next to zero about caravanning life - except that I love it.

What I do want to say though is dont make any decisions until you have checked them out in triplicate, no matter how minor they may seem at first.

I got slammed with an unexpected illness some time ago and just to save the effort of travel I moved my static from a park in Somerset to my home. Like a dutiful citizen, I informed the very nice Stratford-upon-Avon council and they just kind of ummed 'n' aahed over the telephone. Next thing, Wham!!! my static has its own address, its own postcode (seriously) and I have another whopping council tax bill to attend to every year.

It's a minefield my friend...and the council will entertain no other notion than getting out of you!!

Dont make your decision until you have learnt fully the ins and outs of residence or part residence in a static. I'm sure there will be people on here who will be able to help you out with more specific advice relative to your issue, but from my perspective, whatever you do dont go rushing to assist the council in extracting money from you...get all the things that will be in your favour in place first before you even talk to them.

You say work maybe 3 days a week...does that mean that you have a choice, or work for yourself? You might have a skill that would benefit a site owner and if you got chatting or fired off a few emails to them, they may be able to assist in the off season issue you face in return for your labor - I'm sure there was a chap at a site I was on who stayed on in closed times for maintenance etc. I might be way off the mark, but would that kind of option be something that you could consider?

Hope it works out for you because it is a great way of life you are seeking!
Old 16-11-2013, 19:07

Hi Steve and a warm welcome to the forum from us also.