Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Selling A Caravan

Selling A Caravan Discussion about selling a caravan.

Old 16-07-2016, 21:45

Location: WE are looking to buy a residential static caravan in Scotland
Default Selling a static that is residential

I live with my husband in a 2001 atlas oakwood static on a residential and holiday site in western Scotland. Because of my husband being ill we have to move to be closer to family. What my dilemma is, is how much to sell the static for. We have lived here for 2 years as a permanent home. We have done so much to the van, spent somuch tomake it a comfortable home for us, which it has been. We have put under floor insulation, new double glazed windows, done by a caravan window company, a wooden decking that wraps saround three sides of the van, with 2 gates. It has a metal shed out on the back decking with a chest freezer and washing machine. We have had a new shower fitted new blinds and curtains, new carpets and flooring in the kitchen, bathroom and on suite. A new gas fire that has never been used. We have a phone, sky broadband and tv, fitted in the bedroom as well. We pay council tax of 70.00 a month, we have a registered address and post box, we can vote from here. The site fees are 1.800 a year paid monthly at 150.00. We are about 1/2 a mile from the sea. On a cliff overlooking the sea, (We can't see the sea from the van but jjust need to go to the end of the site, a few minutes and you can see it.

How much do we sell for? Would anyone be interested in buying? I have loads of pictures but don't know how to put them on here.

Last edited by debson1; 18-07-2016 at 21:41. Reason: Wrong council tax and forgot to say that the windows were pjut in by a proper caravan window company

Old 17-07-2016, 08:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by debson1 View Post
We pay council tax of 700.00 a month, The site fees are 1.800 a year paid monthly at 150.00. I have loads of pictures but don't know how to put them on here.
Hi Debson, not interested in residential myself but just checking, is this a typing error by any chance? If so, you may like to correct it as a council tax this high would put any buyers off & surely cannot be right as a council tax charge for a caravan?

Council tax of 700 per month is 8,400 per year. Plus site fees making this TEN THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED POUNDS per year? Surely a typo?

Re posting pictures, you just use an online photo storage site such as bucket (free to use) Post your photos there & post the link from the photo which the photo site will give you here
Old 17-07-2016, 08:54

Sorry to hear you are having to sell your van, will the site not buy it back from you? That may be the easier option than having to try and sell it yourself. To be honest for the age of your van I wouldn't think you will you will make a lot of money if you have to sell it privately, does it have to go offsite? Even though you are living on a residential site, looking at the details I don't believe your van is built to full residential specicification and retro fitted double glazing, unless done by someone with a knowledge of caravans can be prone to problems, and may put off prospective buyers. Residential spec caravan are built to a certain levels of insulation, heating etc and anybody buying on a residential site would probably expect these levels. I'm not trying to be negative but giving you the reality that you probably wouldn't get much more than a couple of thousand for it.
Is your figure for council tax correct, at 700 per month I think many people wouldn't even consider it. That's 5 times more than I pay for a large 3 bedroomed house. If that's a typo error and it's a lot less, you may then get somebody who is looking for a reasonably priced premanent home interested.
Good luck in your sale

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4

Last edited by Bells64; 17-07-2016 at 11:18.
Old 17-07-2016, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by debson1 View Post
I live with my husband in a 2001 atlas oakwood static on a residential and holiday site in western Scotland. Because of my husband being ill we have to move to be closer to family. What my dilemma is, is how much to sell the static for. We have lived here for 2 years as a permanent home. We have done so much to the van, spent somuch tomake it a comfortable home for us, which it has been. We have put under floor insulation, new double glazed windows, a wooden decking that wraps saround three sides of the van, with 2 gates. It has a metal shed out on the back decking with a chest freezer and washing machine. We have had a new shower fitted new blinds and curtains, new carpets and flooring in the kitchen, bathroom and on suite. A new gas fire that has never been used. We have a phone, sky broadband and tv, fitted in the bedroom as well. We pay council tax of 700.00 a month, we have a registered address and post box, we can vote from here. The site fees are 1.800 a year paid monthly at 150.00. We are about 1/2 a mile from the sea. On a cliff overlooking the sea, (We can't see the sea from the van but jjust need to go to the end of the site, a few minutes and you can see it.

How much do we sell for? Would anyone be interested in buying? I have loads of pictures but don't know how to put them on here.
If the council tax figure is a mistake please post the correct amount that you pay per year. I suspect it may be 700 for the whole year but paid in monthly installments.

The problem you will have is that a 2001 van will have a small resale value but at the right price may appeal to people who would like to or need to reduce their costs. Has the park got an age limit for the residential part or is it open for any age group. If it is, it could be easier to sell as that would open options for more people to live there.

Post as much information as possible and it may attract some interest.

Good luck and to the forum.

Last edited by Mosquito; 19-07-2016 at 06:40.
Old 17-07-2016, 11:40

Around here proper residential vans are sold via an estate agent just as a house would be. How did you come to buy it ? can you sell through the same place you bought from

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 17-07-2016, 17:55

Sorry to hear that you have to sell. Think that you will have difficulty getting anyone to suggest a price unless they are in the same area, because so much of the price depends on the location and the pitch itself. Popular locations = high prices, less popular (no matter how good) = lower prices. Getting some quotes from an estate agent, as suggested by Maddy, would be a good start.
I am not sure what the legislation is in Scotland, but in England there is quite a lot of paperwork involved in selling a residential caravan. Before you sell you need to establish whether the pitch you are on has been specifically designated as residential or holiday - I have heard that there are a very few sites where the site licence covers both uses without specifying which pitch can be used for which type. If this is the case with yours, then, as it is not a residential manufacture, you could be better advertising it as a holiday static with 12 months residency.
If your pitch is designated as residential, so you cannot sell as a holiday van, then try using the parkhome-living.co.uk website as they have a resales page, cheaper than most estate agents, and the editor will advise and provide the needed paperwork.
If your pitch is designated as holiday, even though the site owners has been allowing you to live there be very cautious about advertising it as residential in case your buyer subsequently sues you for misrepresentation.
Old 17-07-2016, 18:01

Just remembered, poster Saigonjack started a thread about statics on residential sites - maybe send a private message as think the requirements were North England or Scotland.
Thread is in the Park Homes section of the forum.
Old 18-07-2016, 21:33

Hi Heather thanks for your reply, I made a mistake with council tax. It is 70.00 a month, 700.00 total over a year. Debbie x
Old 18-07-2016, 21:34

Thank you for that, fhb. I will send a message.