Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Subletting

Subletting Advice on all aspects of subletting (hiring) your caravan

Old 08-11-2016, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells64 View Post
Hi, I thought from your first ever post you let out your van last year, did you mange the letting yourself or did the site do it for you? We don't let and wouldn't want to, but from what other posters have said it can be hard work if you are doing the lettings yourself. You have to have all your paperwork in place, arrange the cleaning after each visit, accept that there could be damage that the damage depoist may not cover and know that the wear and tear will reduce the value of you van significantly.

I don't know what the answer to the problem of large numbers of othere people turning up at the van. On our site it is in the terms and conditions that each van can only be occupied by the number of people that there are berths for. Maybe you could check with the site what their rules on this are, but from what you've said it seems like it's common practice on your site. Very few vans on our site are rented out, then only privately, as the site no longer handles any renting, I would say we are probably 99% owner occupied (or used by their families). This is how we like it, but I do understand that some people have to rent out their vans to cover the site fees.

We were aware of all the fees before we bought, but I do believe that some site sales offices have a a lot to answer for when they sell vans but do not fully explain the full costs to people, but that's a different rant.
Hi Heather,

Sorry for the confusion I wasn't clear in my post. We let Haven sublet it for us last year, as we took up their offer of money of the purchase in return for a certain amount of weeks over 3 seasons. This wasn't one of my better ideas and will be paying them the remaining money this year.

It will be my first time letting it out myself this year. We can afford not to but I thought it would be nice if I could cover the fees, but this may turn out to be another stupid idea

Old 08-11-2016, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
Fist and foremost, take a breakage bond from your guests. It will be fully refundable in the event of no breakages. You also need to limit the number of guests allowed in the van. This can be wrote into a simple contract that the guests need to sign. Never let your van to a party of young people without responsible adults. Indicate where the rubbish bins are so that the van is not full of rubbish when they vacate the van. Ensure that the guests can only enter the van after a certain time on the day of arrival. This will allow time for the van to be cleaned and the departure time should be between 10:00 and 11:00am to allow time for cleaning after the guest vacate the property.

There are lots of things you have to consider to protect yourself, including proper insurance in case of accident to any of your guests. No doubt your insurance company will be able to advise you on that matter.

I haven't covered everything but at least it should give you a basis for drawing up a contract.
Hi Mosquito,

Thank you for your helpful post. Will have to look into insurance as never thought about that. It all starts to get really complicated, may just not rent I am so unsure what to do
Old 08-11-2016, 16:56
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonB View Post
Hi Mosquito,

Thank you for your helpful post. Will have to look into insurance as never thought about that. It all starts to get really complicated, may just not rent I am so unsure what to do
You have had some of the complications / potential problems highlighted already by others.
My thoughts for what it's worth - If you don't have to rent out, don't do it. That way you know your caravan us in safe hands and ready for you to enjoy whenever you want.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonB View Post
Hi Mosquito,

If you contact your insurance company, they will be able to give you a price. It will give you a better idea whether or not it is worthwhile for you.

If you knew how many guests you could attract, you could add the extra insurance to the cost of letting out your van.

Don't forget the most popular times for letting any holiday home is during the school holidays. Assuming you get get bookings for those times you won't be able to use the van yourself. Not good if you have children or grandchildren who would normally join you during those periods.
Old 13-11-2016, 22:29

If you can afford not to rent out then don't. We have to rent out but if we could afford not to we wouldn't. We would love to keep our van just for ourselves.

We have done a mix of subletting via "H" and private rentals over the last 4 seasons. We have been lucky that there have been no major problems. For private rentals my T&C are quite strict and I take a 75 damages/security deposit/bond. Luckily 2016 consisted of private rentals only.