Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Selling A Caravan

Selling A Caravan Discussion about selling a caravan.

Old 14-01-2019, 12:52

Default Looking at maybe selling our static caravan

Hi we have a static caravan in 2011 new, rental we get each year has dropped and fees rising we are paying out a lot more each year to keep our caravan , we do love it and the area were ending up just using Easter and some weekends for last couple of years so we could let out through Hoburne to make about 3/4 of site fees. Now's the time of year we give our weeks for them to rent but we want a couple weeks of main summer hols which would mean we would have to pay a lot more for next year's fees.
Really think we may have to let the caravan go, but how's the best way to go about it ?
I know Hobourns offer will be next to nothing,
How many of you have managed to sell privately?
Any advice would like to be on until end of season and enjoy the caravan more by not letting out.
Any advice please
Thanks for taking your time to read

Old 14-01-2019, 14:28

Did you watch rip off Britain holidays this morning ???.(...monday ....14 th January 2019 ?...)....Worth a watch if your selling a caravan !!
Old 14-01-2019, 15:20

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Hi, it's worthwhile reading your site rules etc in your paperwork, some sites don't allow private sales, others take up to around 15% commission. You may wish to consider moving your static to another site, that's another option.
Once you've read your paperwork you'll know your options

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1
Old 14-01-2019, 16:16
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.R View Post
Did you watch rip off Britain holidays this morning ???.(...monday ....14 th January 2019 ?...)....Worth a watch if your selling a caravan !!
i did see this, i think the couple who purchased in 2011 then the next year the site fees came in were shocked, this is the problem when they say we paid x included were the site fees, x is caravan plus siting fees and yearly site fees, so say the 29,995 was 22,000 plus the 4000 siting costs and then 4000 site fees, so the van after 4 years was valued at 11,000, thats 50% drop in value, i think it was a haven site, they have top service, top expenses for staff etc, so are not cheap.

too many rose covered spectacles when seeing a van on a nice plot, they say the van was moved ( expense ) advertised at 26k to include site fees so again site owners costs 11k plus 3k plus 4k so 18k selling at 26k so 8k profit less any negotiated purchase discount ?? they are in business not a charity,

a van is a costly long term purchase, like a new car, drive it off the forecourt and its dropped value, keep it 3 years its 1/2 price, i see people ask if 1,000 a year depreciation is right but its close if its kept 25 years, if only keep for 3 or 4 years that is then the newness gone, so most of the value gone, shame but life, you really do need to know your own mind, know your own circumstances, and find the right site van and not get swayed by the included site fees as its just on top of the price for the van, not the actual value of the van, especially the large operators where they have a balance sheet to well balance,

i think if after 2 or 3 years and site fees kicking in a decision that a van can't be afforded there was some miss calculation in the initial purchase calculations, and it makes me cringe when potential purchasers say they plan to rent out to help with the site fees, every van owner is different and has different circumstances i know but i would not consider renting our van out, and i would not purchase if rental income was needed to run the van financially too much risk and too many unknowns, i do have sympathy for the couple involved, and indeed anyone who's had life changing circumstances and needs to sell due to bereavement or illness etc, but the couple on the programme had sold the van, and were now enjoying holidays abroad, i think they just changed their minds at the worst ownership point 3 or 4 years old van,
Old 14-01-2019, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionblue22 View Post
i did see this, i think the couple who purchased in 2011 then the next year the site fees came in were shocked, this is the problem when they say we paid x included were the site fees, x is caravan plus siting fees and yearly site fees, so say the 29,995 was 22,000 plus the 4000 siting costs and then 4000 site fees, so the van after 4 years was valued at 11,000, thats 50% drop in value, i think it was a haven site, they have top service, top expenses for staff etc, so are not cheap.

too many rose covered spectacles when seeing a van on a nice plot, they say the van was moved ( expense ) advertised at 26k to include site fees so again site owners costs 11k plus 3k plus 4k so 18k selling at 26k so 8k profit less any negotiated purchase discount ?? they are in business not a charity,

a van is a costly long term purchase, like a new car, drive it off the forecourt and its dropped value, keep it 3 years its 1/2 price, i see people ask if 1,000 a year depreciation is right but its close if its kept 25 years, if only keep for 3 or 4 years that is then the newness gone, so most of the value gone, shame but life, you really do need to know your own mind, know your own circumstances, and find the right site van and not get swayed by the included site fees as its just on top of the price for the van, not the actual value of the van, especially the large operators where they have a balance sheet to well balance,

i think if after 2 or 3 years and site fees kicking in a decision that a van can't be afforded there was some miss calculation in the initial purchase calculations, and it makes me cringe when potential purchasers say they plan to rent out to help with the site fees, every van owner is different and has different circumstances i know but i would not consider renting our van out, and i would not purchase if rental income was needed to run the van financially too much risk and too many unknowns, i do have sympathy for the couple involved, and indeed anyone who's had life changing circumstances and needs to sell due to bereavement or illness etc, but the couple on the programme had sold the van, and were now enjoying holidays abroad, i think they just changed their minds at the worst ownership point 3 or 4 years old van,
I believe he said he paid 27000 for it ? 3 years later the site (Park..Caravan parks)..Bought it off him for 5000....Then resold it for 29000 ?..
Old 14-01-2019, 19:28

Quote:
I believe he said he paid 27000 for it ? 3 years later the site (Park..Caravan parks)..Bought it off him for 5000....Then resold it for 29000 ?..
must admit...it looked as though he couldnt spend his inheritence quick enough,then realised he could not afford fees...hes not the only one that has been caught over the years....
I remember someone saying to me ,"people work all their lives ,putting money away for their kids,only to die then the kids spend it in seconds"
Old 15-01-2019, 06:07

I think you will be Ok to sell privately ( we are on Hoburne Cotswold ) but they wont help at all and the size of poster etc you are allowed to display is quite tight. We had new licences recently and they percentage they take went down if you signed. You will have to give any sales to the office and then they have the right to buy at the price you have been offered for a week. I'd go in and speak to sales and see what they say about the sales. You are right their offer just to buy back will be low. Around ours most people who want to rent seem to fill the dates which is one good thing.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 15-01-2019, 07:31

My advice over the years.....sell to site ,saves all the hassle...and it means whatever you get ,add the site fees,insurance etc. that you won't have to pay

Last edited by treetopper; 15-01-2019 at 07:33.
Old 16-01-2019, 00:21
Supporting Member

Quote:
i have reviewed the programme, indeed he purchased 26995 package, including siting site fees etc as i thought, the van actual value in 2012 ???, but estimate at 22k, they paid him 5,800 then after review another 3k so just under 9,000 after 2 years, they have advertised at 29,ooo but that will include site fees and negotiation figure, the site would need to sell at around 18k to break even, and if they just break even they will go out of business, its a harsh reality but sites need to make money to survive, we would all be in trouble if sites broke even as they would be soon out of business, the site looks like they could make between 9k or less depending on sales discount amount of time on the market etc etc, the final outcome is again like i have said due to the shorter term of ownership, and selling to the site as against selling private, not enough homework done on the initial purchase,
i do really feel for the chap, but a caravan is an expensive lifestyle choice,
i think vans are expensive, but i have 3 dogs, i want a home from home, i purchased new, i wanted a quiet site,
i did not want to have to rent out to make my van affordable, i did my research, my calculations were based on depreciation which i took over a 20 year period so allowed full total loss, site fees, running costs gas elec and rates etc, i worked out our 40 week season was going to cost 125 a week, we use our van at least 38 weeks and out of each week at least 3 days usually 5 days usually home on a wednesday evening and back on a friday evening, i see vans on our site used for 3 weeks a year ? others for 6 weeks away for a week then another 6 weeks,

angela 234 originally asked what's the best way to sell, i would say privately there is always someone wanting a van and looking for a better price than what parks are offering, but parks usually include 1 year site fees ( on top of the van price, plus some profit for the site for the sale marketing paying the original owner etc ) so yess sell privately,
but like a car don't think that its only a couple of years old so wouldn't have lost much, quite the opposite they loose more the 5 to 10 year old market is flooded, 10k to 18k price range is a good market for private sales, newer vans over 20k usually need finance which is harder to arrange unless through a site,

caravans may become more popular if we end up in a no deal brexit as there will be less foreign travel ????? if something is more popular the price will rise with demand.
Old 20-01-2019, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
My advice over the years.....sell to site ,saves all the hassle...and it means whatever you get ,add the site fees,insurance etc. that you won't have to pay
This is what we are now thinking.
What can we keep from the caravan I definitely want our outside table and chairs,
What about TV , outside storage box , can we take these?
Thank you everyone for your replies have contacted the site to say may be interested in selling
Thanks again