Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:11

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea
Default Buying a brand new Static Caravan. Snaglist

When you bought your brand new caravan how many defects did it come with?

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1

Old 07-05-2019, 12:38

Must admit our van was checked by Lloyd caravans,after delivery,so presume if there was any defects they were rectified?....We were very surprised when Carnaby turned up with 4 new dining chairs,apparently 1 had a fault .....so must admit we couldn't see owt wrong with them...We didn't have any defects....
Hopefully everyone who has a new van has a good service off their park and dealer...

Last edited by treetopper; 07-05-2019 at 18:39.
Old 07-05-2019, 17:13

We had quite a few problems but most of them were put right after three visits by the manufacturer.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:41

3 pages of minor snags, all corrected by the manufacturer. Some major problems with the actual siting, which the park owner dealt with.
Residential park homes and holiday statics are nowadays mostly twin units, each half built elsewhere, transported to site in two halves, manoeuvered quite brutally into position and then joined together, so is quite surprising that there are not more damages/snags found when the new owner moves in.
The usual system is that the home owner tells the manufacturer of any problems (keeping the park operator in copy) as the manufacturers have snagging teams that work around the country, and turn up full with a magic van full of every conceivable bolt, screw and spare part to fix whatever is not right. In our case, they also spotted and fixed some small things we had not even noticed.
Old 08-05-2019, 13:23

Thank you Angela for starting this thread whilst my registration was being approved.

This is a loaded question which I have placed on other forums. I'm being told that caravans come with faults by a dealer. What I have discovered is that it is possible to buy a caravan fault free but also possible to buy one with faults/ defects. Then I'm trying to find out what is deemed as an acceptable. In my book none should be but its seems the customer is on the back foot with warranty claims being made and partially carried out. Sometimes fully carried out and carried out over a long duration.
Old 08-05-2019, 15:01

Looking at your post on the other forum, you need to be aware that there are differences between mobile caravans and static caravans/lodges/park homes.
While they are all "chattels" in law, mobile caravans are treated much more in the same way as a car, and the dealer is the first point of contact. Mobile caravans are also considerably easier to reject - can just be towed back to the dealer.

Static caravans and park homes sited on a caravan park can also - theoretically - be rejected, but this would usually only be done for something rather more severe than the usual snags.
Bear in mind that the owner of a static caravan or park home sited on a park has purchased via the park, not from a dealer - a dealer would only be involved if you are siting on your own land.
A static caravan has to be sited, then connected to utilities, then commissioned; most faults are usually picked up and corrected by the park operator and siting/commissioning crew during the process, the remaining faults are dealt with by the manufacturer directly as part of the usual snagging run.
The usual warranty is a manufacturer warranty of one-two years from the date you purchase it (which is only after it has been sited and commissioned) and then a further structural defects warranty to make u to 10 years, either under the Gold Shield or Platinum Seal warranty schemes
So the answers on the "other" forum are mainly talking about towing caravans, whereas the answers on this forum will be talking about sited static caravans, which are a completely different thing.
And in answer to your question, the manufacturers of sited static/park caravans will themselves tell you that there will be snags, and the same manufacturers deal with them quickly. The majority of delays are caused because the manufacturers are waiting for replacement items to be made/delivered.
The reason why static/park caravan owners go direct to the manufacturer is because this is both the expected way and the quickest way to get things done. The Park is ultimately responsible for any problems, but generally is involved only in two cases - when the problem relates to the siting and/or commissioning, or if the manufacturer does not respond in a proper manner (which is unusual). It is nothing to do with a dealer trying to brush you off and make you claim under warranty.
Hope this helps clarify.
Old 08-05-2019, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhb View Post
Looking at your post on the other forum, you need to be aware that there are differences between mobile caravans and static caravans/lodges/park homes.
While they are all "chattels" in law, mobile caravans are treated much more in the same way as a car, and the dealer is the first point of contact. Mobile caravans are also considerably easier to reject - can just be towed back to the dealer.

Static caravans and park homes sited on a caravan park can also - theoretically - be rejected, but this would usually only be done for something rather more severe than the usual snags.
Bear in mind that the owner of a static caravan or park home sited on a park has purchased via the park, not from a dealer - a dealer would only be involved if you are siting on your own land.
A static caravan has to be sited, then connected to utilities, then commissioned; most faults are usually picked up and corrected by the park operator and siting/commissioning crew during the process, the remaining faults are dealt with by the manufacturer directly as part of the usual snagging run.
The usual warranty is a manufacturer warranty of one-two years from the date you purchase it (which is only after it has been sited and commissioned) and then a further structural defects warranty to make u to 10 years, either under the Gold Shield or Platinum Seal warranty schemes
So the answers on the "other" forum are mainly talking about towing caravans, whereas the answers on this forum will be talking about sited static caravans, which are a completely different thing.
And in answer to your question, the manufacturers of sited static/park caravans will themselves tell you that there will be snags, and the same manufacturers deal with them quickly. The majority of delays are caused because the manufacturers are waiting for replacement items to be made/delivered.
The reason why static/park caravan owners go direct to the manufacturer is because this is both the expected way and the quickest way to get things done. The Park is ultimately responsible for any problems, but generally is involved only in two cases - when the problem relates to the siting and/or commissioning, or if the manufacturer does not respond in a proper manner (which is unusual). It is nothing to do with a dealer trying to brush you off and make you claim under warranty.
Hope this helps clarify.
Cheers for the information. My post was merely to understand what other peoples experiences were with buying a caravan and to see if any were similar to mine. The conversation strayed a bit but I'm not in a position to give too much away.
Old 08-05-2019, 16:09

The fall-back position is to simply reject the static; this is not so easy for a residential park home (mainly because of the fact that it is now a home) but whether static or residential, it does have to be fit for purpose and as described. Whoever sold you the static, whether a park or a dealer, is the party ultimately responsible to refund or put right - but fortunately, the major manufacturers rarely send out anything so bad that this happens.
There are some ongoing disasters out there, mainly because of damp/water ingress - but most statics/park homes have snags that can and are quickly sorted.
Old 09-05-2019, 13:48

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Are there any Static Caravan Park Owners reading this who would like to contribute from their point of view please?

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1
Old 09-05-2019, 17:36

I bought my first van 5 years ago, a BK Bluebird Sheraton. It had a few minor things, leaking gutters, screws missing on the outside panels, caps missing off hinges. Working mainly with Willerby, most were rectified. However, it developed faults in guarentee, boiler has to be replaced. The new boiler leaked and destroyed its unit it was housed in. A light relay burned out and a couple of leaks. Everything was sorted before I traded it back. I bought a Pemberton lodge a year ago. It was new but built in 2015, it had been for sale. I have had one faulty light fitting, dishwasher went off and the curtains had faded. All been sorted but we don't like the blinds and curtains so are changing them.
I think the Pemberton is a better quality build to be honest.

Last edited by Paul BK; 09-05-2019 at 17:38.