Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 26-07-2013, 10:53

Default Buying a used static caravan

Thinking of buying a used static on a site. Should I get a survey/inspection and if so does anyone know someone in West Wales who could do it?
Should I expect any warranty on an 8 or 9 year old static bought from the site owners?

Old 26-07-2013, 11:26

If you are buying an 8 or 9 year old static, I would be more interested in the site owners policies on the age of the caravan & how long they say it can stay on site. My last caravan was 17 years old before I bought my new one & there is one van on site which is 37 years old but many sites have a 10 year or 15 year maximum lifespan. My cousin has a van on a site which is nine years old & it has to come off site next year. I am looking into transport costs etc to see if its cost effective to have it moved here or not.
Old 26-07-2013, 13:08

We started out like you expecting it to be like buying a car but sadly it isn't. In my experience you be unlikely to get a surveyor and they are sold as seen. Sorry I guess that's not what you wanted to hear. No log book either

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 26-07-2013, 14:10
Supporting Member

I never even thought of getting a surveyor or anything, mine is a 2003 van and I, too, was just concerned with how long I could stay on site for..

we had a good look round it, spotted a few things, we had a warranty so we had the jobs carried out while it was still under warranty....

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 26-07-2013, 18:06

Do your research and you should be fine.

Right a huge list of things to check before you view and then tick and tight it all down when you are viewing as you will easily forget.

Where about in west wales?
Old 27-07-2013, 07:58

Somewhere on here is a huge list of what to look out for do your homework with it and if you know anyone else with a static take them along as an extra pair of eyes if you can - people who are not actually buying sometimes spot things you may not - don't forget to look outside and underneath
Old 27-07-2013, 10:48

It is just like buying a car. Make sure the electric works, water, boiler, gas etc. If bought from a site then ask if there is a warranty...normally 3 months or more. As has been said check outside, corner seals, window seals, door drop, chassis etc. Inside look at roof line above doors, next to doors for discolouring and softness, mould and dampness. Check roof internally around roof lights for bubbling, remove the cover from ceiling vents and check internal wood structure, if stained or black could be a sign of a leak from the vent itself or the sealant has perished. Check internal walls around windows and under windows for bubbling, staining and softness, also check corners of rooms for dampness and smells. It is all about getting your mental checklist ready. Main thing is how long can you keep the van on site. Why waste money on a second hand van if you are only going to get 5 years maybe? Sounds a long time...it isn't.

Do not be afraid of taking on a second hand van, they are great. If you're handy then you can replace internal door and cupboard handles, light fittings etc to bring the van more up to date...I did this with mine van and the look is far better.

Si

Check out the social group clubs on my page:http://www.gostatic.co.uk/member.php?u=17474
BERT the Gostatic mascot-RIP 2012. Fare well faithful defender of our static
Old 27-07-2013, 16:00

Thanks for all the useful info. Here are a few points;
The site is the Parkdean site at Pendine, Pembrokeshire.
They allow homes to remain for 15 years and then give a yearly permit if it's kept up to scratch. I'm thinking that 5 years on the same site would be long enough for us.
I've read some mixed reviews about the site and facilities, mainly that the pool and clubhouse are too small for the park and there is little to do if you don't have a car. The MoD test range seems to be a problem for some but not others.
The reviews have been from rental customers. Any owners on that park have any views?
Old 27-07-2013, 16:14

We have friends on there, its fine in term time but hectic at bank holidays etc so depends on whether you are retired like them. They rent it for the school holidays so are happy.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.