Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:19

Default Looking at buying static caravan

Hi, I'm new to all this static caravan stuff but we've just stayed on a haven site in a private rental van and the lady who owns the van mentioned she may be selling her van, its a late 90's BK Bluebird in good condition and only looking for about 3k. This seems a good price and she currently pays just under 3000 pa for the site fees but when we've enquired we've been told the fees would be over 4200 to us on a new agreement! Also they would want 15% commission - is this paid by the seller or buyer? and somebody told me that even though the site have previously told her they didn't want to buy the van off her that if the price is what they consider too low they could force her to sell to them instead! is this true and if so is there any way around it as someone on the site mentioned they'd heard about where a previous owner had done a transfer over time with buyer by continuing having the bills etc in their name for a length of time before gradually swapping them over?
Thanks

Old 13-08-2010, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzycamper View Post
Hi, I'm new to all this static caravan stuff but we've just stayed on a haven site in a private rental van and the lady who owns the van mentioned she may be selling her van, its a late 90's BK Bluebird in good condition and only looking for about 3k. This seems a good price and she currently pays just under 3000 pa for the site fees but when we've enquired we've been told the fees would be over 4200 to us on a new agreement! Also they would want 15% commission - is this paid by the seller or buyer? and somebody told me that even though the site have previously told her they didn't want to buy the van off her that if the price is what they consider too low they could force her to sell to them instead! is this true and if so is there any way around it as someone on the site mentioned they'd heard about where a previous owner had done a transfer over time with buyer by continuing having the bills etc in their name for a length of time before gradually swapping them over?
Thanks
Haven seems to have their own rules - If you google haven forum/static van owners, you will be amazed at the complaints.
Old 17-08-2010, 14:04

Default Licence

Hi there,
Check your licence terms and speak to the park before doing anything!
You dont want to end up owning a van that the park says you must remove! Which if you were out of their age limits then they could do so.
British Holiday Park New agreements are up to 10 Years old for a private sale. If the park has its own policy get them to spell it out. Being able to keep the van on a long time and a change of ownership is a different thing dont get confused. Usually things that are too good to be true are! If its all in black and white and legally above board fine.
Luckily due to the good prices I pay I dont have to facilitate private sales, but 15% + Vat is the norm for commision to pay the park - which the seller must pay - but all parties declare the figures they are agreeing to.
There is an allowance for some parks to charge a higher level of rent to people buying privately - but it is up to the park to decide if they do this. Its not something I would morally want to do.
Old 17-08-2010, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamborough Sales Manager View Post
Hi there,
Check your licence terms and speak to the park before doing anything!
You dont want to end up owning a van that the park says you must remove! Which if you were out of their age limits then they could do so.
British Holiday Park New agreements are up to 10 Years old for a private sale. If the park has its own policy get them to spell it out. Being able to keep the van on a long time and a change of ownership is a different thing dont get confused. Usually things that are too good to be true are! If its all in black and white and legally above board fine.
Luckily due to the good prices I pay I dont have to facilitate private sales, but 15% + Vat is the norm for commision to pay the park - which the seller must pay - but all parties declare the figures they are agreeing to.
There is an allowance for some parks to charge a higher level of rent to people buying privately - but it is up to the park to decide if they do this. Its not something I would morally want to do.
Maybe a small point but in the standard BH&HPA agreements it is the buyer who pays the commission. Unless the seller agrees beforehand to pay it of course.