Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 13-05-2014, 09:50

Default Site owner cut off our tow bar

Hi everyone. I have just joined this very interesting forum.

We have a caravan on the south coast on a small private site of about 40 caravans. It is run by one person. We arrived the other weekend to find our tow bar had been sawn off. We found out that the site owner had done this, but failed to even have the courtesy to let us know. She removed it to make it easier for her to cut the grass, fair enough, but we were extremely annoyed about her doing this to our property and of not asking us. I have sent a detailed email to her complaining, and making it clear she should not touch our property without telling us and to cut back the bars which are left sticking out and are already going rusty which she has agreed to do, but she is always the one who is right and kind of makes us in the wrong!! My point is that as it is our property she should have told us of her intentions and for future too. I wonder what she might do next as she seems to think she can do anything she likes as she owns the land and the site!

Although, nothing can be done about the tow bar now, does anyone know where we stand legally as she has tampered with our property?

Old 13-05-2014, 10:33

Criminal Damage I would have thought, bearing in mind she isnt arguing it was a Health and Safety risk.

Most towbars, are attached using four bolts to the chassis, why wasnt it done properly ?

most bizarre, be interesting to see what others think

Toni
Old 13-05-2014, 10:53

The land the van is on is hers but the van is your property
It is criminal damage... Seek legal advice and also ask her if the van ever had to be moved how would they now manage that
Old 13-05-2014, 11:41

I always was led to believe that vans have to be ready to be able to be towed off site
Old 13-05-2014, 12:07

Removing the tow bar i think it would be a safety issuse if there was a fire in a van near you how could the move you van away also so i would be checking my insurance.
Old 13-05-2014, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
I always was led to believe that vans have to be ready to be able to be towed off site
Think this is true. Site rules I have seen has stated that caravans must be capable of being moved at short notice.

Think I would be requesting that the removal was rectified.
Old 13-05-2014, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyandJulie View Post
Removing the tow bar i think it would be a safety issuse if there was a fire in a van near you how could the move you van away also so i would be checking my insurance.
Its a static, its wheels are off the floor on blocks, its chained down, its connected to water,drainage,water, electricity and maybe gas, no one has the time or resources to move these during a fire. Don't bother checking your insurance its not going to say anything about moving it in times of fire.
Easiest thing is get a new tow bar fitted, send the bill to the site owner with a threat of going to court if the don't pay and wait to be told to leave site, at least you will be able to tow it off.
Or just forget all about it
Old 13-05-2014, 13:45

I’m thinking that if you have a long term contract (ours is 15 years), be it written or verbal then you would be within your rights to insist on its reinstatement without fear of being asked to leave at the end of the season, you may also point out that if she or yourself decide you have to leave the site at some point in the future then she will most likely be legally responsible the costs involved!
Old 13-05-2014, 13:52
Departed Friend

hi and welcome to the forum.
unfortunately if ,as you say,you are on a small privately owned site,i would not (and this is only my opinion from what i have experienced in the past)cause too much agro.as you may well get her back up,and then you get a permanent breakdown in relations.
Old 13-05-2014, 14:06

This is a difficult one, the Park Owner is almost certainly wrong to have removed the tow bar, but to start talking about going legal may prove not to be financially successful.
Of course you might win a case but at what cost. You might be told to leave the site and be left with a legal bill that is more than the value of the van or of course you might win and have your costs payed then be asked to leave the site. You might qualify to have your legal fees payed then be asked to leave the site.

How old is your van?
What do you want? Perhaps a new removeable towbar, perhaps old tow bar re-welded to van?

When a site owner behaves in this manner there is usually only one winner - not fair I know and sorry to hear of your predicament.
Remember you go there to relax and unwind.

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/bluemax90/