Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 06-11-2016, 20:13

It's still a caravan, just has good PR, it's a 40x13 single unit.

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube

Old 06-11-2016, 22:13

Maybe people suffering with flies may partly be due to where the caravan is located? Just seems though every now and then I hear of other owners having similar problems. Not sure if bigland2003 is also a caravan site owner, but posted they suffer with flies on the first reply of this thread?
Old 06-11-2016, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
Maybe people suffering with flies may partly be due to where the caravan is located? Just seems though every now and then I hear of other owners having similar problems. Not sure if bigland2003 is also a caravan site owner, but posted they suffer with flies on the first reply of this thread?
Position of van may be everything to do with it. As previously mentioned, it is not known what makes Cluster Flies choose one roof/van as opposed to other apparently exactly similar ones. The flies see a difference, we humans don't. Even something simple, like cahnf=ging the colour of the roof, could end a fly problem (but there are no guarantees!)

Henry
Old 06-11-2016, 23:08

[QUOTE=Cylon;165010]Maybe people suffering with flies may partly be due to where the caravan is located? Just seems though every now and then I hear of other owners having similar problems. Not sure if bigland2003 is also a caravan site owner, but posted they suffer with flies on the first reply of this thread?[/QUOTE

Bigland 2003 is a caravan site owner. We have had a van on his site for the last 4 years without any cluster fly problem. The ones I have heard about have been in holiday homes that have been standing for a while prior to sale. The whole of the Bigland site is in woodland and there are lots of grassy areas - although the vans are on hard standing. It must be awful for anybody who does suffer a fly invasion. Years ago we had a tourer which was stored in our own garden. When we opened it up in the Spring it was carpeted with walking ants everywhere. Floors, walls, furniture, beds - everything. Thousands of them. They were marching in visible armies from the ground, up the corner legs and in through the little vent holes under the sink. Initially I feared we wouldn't get rid of them completely but we did.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyboy View Post
Hi All,

Just been reading on here that some caravans seem prone to plagues of flies! Some saying they get into the cavitys in wall and roof. Also read that Swift vans seem to suffer more than most. As we are looking at upgrading to a new Swift this has concerned me. Is this manufacturer prone to this and are flies in general a problem. Couldn't bear infestations in walls and ceilings?
Has your existing van got flies....as it may be that your plot won't have flies whichever van you choose...
Old 28-10-2019, 14:24

Hi, can someone direct me to which mesh is best to buy to cover vents (flies!!) we only bought our caravan in May and all has been ok until last weekend and there are dead flies everywhere.. would appreciate some advice. We are going next weekend to lock up for winter and want to give it a good clean, spray?? (is raid any good) thanks in advance
Old 28-10-2019, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by debs68 View Post
Hi, can someone direct me to which mesh is best to buy to cover vents (flies!!) we only bought our caravan in May and all has been ok until last weekend and there are dead flies everywhere.. would appreciate some advice. We are going next weekend to lock up for winter and want to give it a good clean, spray?? (is raid any good) thanks in advance
I would think that anything small enough to stop small insects and flies getting through the vents may also be small enough to clog up with dust/debris(dead flies?) and cut out the ventilation. Dead flies will be easier to deal with than damp caused by lack of air flow.
Old 29-10-2019, 08:08

We get flies in ours , many do unfortunately. If they are gonna come in it’s around April time and mid sept / October time , last year was much worse than this year. I have no idea where they come in , I wouldn’t cover the vents , that may stop some but not most , they just appear . When we arrive at the van we clear up the dead ones , catch the live ones before putting the heating on as they are much more docile then , we then have a tennis racquet style bat that electrocutes any that appear once the van warms up . We don’t (touch wood) tend to get them in the bedrooms , we think that is because it’s the cooler end of the van.
If you find a cure let us know , we put some lavender plants around the van this year and some lavender oil on top of cupboards near big roof vent. For cleaning a diluted solution of sugar soap works.
Old 30-10-2019, 08:37

I bought this lodge a year ago gone April. It had been standing for sale, new, for two years! I had flies in the external downlights and realised they were in the roof. The site let a couple of those bomb things off in the roof. They are cluster flies.
I continued to empty the downlights and spray fly spray in, sometimes twice a day. Eventually, it stopped, probably to do with the winter. This year, I'm doing the same but it isn't as bad. They will continue to return every year unless you can, somehow, change the cycle. I'm hoping by continuing to make it a bad place for them to hibernate.
I don't seem to get them inside.