Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:24

Default De-humidifier - block vents?

Hi all
Owned my caravan nearly a year so this is my first closed season
I've noticed I'm getting some black mould in places inside the van. I do my best to ventilate my van whilst I'm there and remove excess moisture.
I've just invested in a dessicant dehumidifier. It's designed to work in cold temperatures so I'm thinking of leaving it on in the van on a low setting, this won't use much electric.
My question is, can I block the air vents up whilst I'm not there so I'm not dehumidifying the whole planet? I know I can't when I'm there for obvious reasons with gas appliances running etc. Would blocking them cause any adverse effects if I'm removing the moisture with the dehumidifier leaving all internal doors open?

Old 11-01-2019, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom J View Post
Hi all
Owned my caravan nearly a year so this is my first closed season
I've noticed I'm getting some black mould in places inside the van. I do my best to ventilate my van whilst I'm there and remove excess moisture.
I've just invested in a dessicant dehumidifier. It's designed to work in cold temperatures so I'm thinking of leaving it on in the van on a low setting, this won't use much electric.
My question is, can I block the air vents up whilst I'm not there so I'm not dehumidifying the whole planet? I know I can't when I'm there for obvious reasons with gas appliances running etc. Would blocking them cause any adverse effects if I'm removing the moisture with the dehumidifier leaving all internal doors open?
That's the delema really ?..... You're right open , vents and you're dehumidifying the outside air in ...Block vents and you're preventing air ventilation ?..

Maybe the answer is ... Isolate the the room you want to dry out ...(only block the vents in that room ?)..Whilst using dehumidifier ?...

For God's sake remember to open up the vents again..... Propane gas is heavier than air that's why they are floor level....You don't want to kill yourself...
Old 11-01-2019, 10:37

That's the delema really ?..... You're right open , vents and you're dehumidifying the outside air in ...Block vents and you're preventing air ventilation ?..

Maybe the answer is ... Isolate the the room you want to dry out ...(only block the vents in that room ?)..Whilst using dehumidifier ?...

For God's sake remember to open up the vents again..... Propane gas is heavier than air that's why they are floor level....You don't want to kill yourself...
Old 11-01-2019, 17:14

Do not block up any vents at any time. Remember, they are there for a reason. 1. Is to allow any possible leaking gas to escape, and 2. To let air circulate to stop mold from forming.
Old 11-01-2019, 17:27
Supporting Member

My new caravan is on its 2nd closed season.
Gas supply all isolated outside & under boiler
Last year, (2017) I left all my main vents unblocked, & purchased numerous portable disposable dehumidifiers, on return, most disposable dehumids were full of water, and van still felt dampish & cold, obviously it dried out with the central heating
I purchased a Meaco decess dehumidifier, and have used that all year on & off, the van was much warmer as it had dried out.
So the end of the season (2018) I partially blocked main vents, and again purchased disposable dehumidifiers

We visited van In Jan 2019, the disposable dehumids had hardly any water in them and we ran the Meaco dehumid for a couple of hours, the moisture humidity level certainly was better,
Our van is close to the coast in Anglesey

So my answer would be just to reduce the main vents by half, so air still circulates, (but unblock on your return)
But purchase enough disposable dehumidifiers to absorb moisture in all your rooms, & under the sink & few in wardrobes, leave the internal doors open
Your electric dehumid may trip due to power cuts

Soon be March opening! Yipee

Last edited by sparkrace22; 11-01-2019 at 17:37.
Old 11-01-2019, 22:36
Supporting Member

I have my Wifi Digital Thermometer set on the Frost setting and this warms up the van when temperature falls below 5 degrees, Had this running for the past couple of months and have notice no humidity, Dampness or the such upon my visits.

I recently replace my Small but big holed vents for a Larger Fly Screened vent (Gas Safe)

I won't block any vents ups for any reason, its only one time that you'll forget to unblock them and then you might never wake up so please don't block vents
Old 11-01-2019, 23:38

We use large moisture traps, lots we have seen only last for a month or less, ours 3 months, last two years only a slight crust on the crystals, other areas a few salt bowls. Fresh air is cold, but with all internal doors and cupboards open we’ve not had a problem. My wireless thermostat shows actual room temps but I can’t see any reason to bring heating on just yet anyway.