Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 06-06-2013, 21:29

Default wooden decking v metal decking

just wondering what decking owners have
i can see that the vast majority of decking is wooden
personally i have a galvanized metal decking which i have had for 11 years in which time i have had 2 vans
thee galvanized decking has never had to have anything done to it and is maintenance free and looks like it will still be there in 50 years time it is immaculate
vans near to me in the same length of time have gone throughat least 2 deckings due to the wood rotting etc
also they need more maintenance than a metal one
i can see the pros and cons of both and i like the look of wooden decking but the cost and relitave short life would put me off

Old 06-06-2013, 21:40
Social Media Boss

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

I had wrought iron balcony on lounge door, and balcony with steps and gate on kitchen door in my first caravan many years ago, that site didn't allow any other kind at that time.
It was quite noisy, as the floor was chequered plating.
My current site prefers upvc rails on a wooden deck, made by yourself or your chosen fitters - or the site's own fitters.(you have to discuss size materials etc prior to building) I think it depends upon what your site prefers not what you prefer in many instances. Also if you are in certain areas fire regs dictate the materials to be used.

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1
Old 06-06-2013, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela B View Post
I had wrought iron balcony on lounge door, and balcony with steps and gate on kitchen door in my first caravan many years ago, that site didn't allow any other kind at that time.
It was quite noisy, as the floor was chequered plating.
My current site prefers upvc rails on a wooden deck, made by yourself or your chosen fitters - or the site's own fitters. I think it depends upon what your site prefers not what you prefer in many instances. Also if you are in certain areas fire regs dictate the materials to be used.
Yeah, that is a drawback on mine that it can be noisy
Our site don't mind if it is a wooden deck or metal as long as it is in good repair
PVC is the future and the way to go
Old 06-06-2013, 21:46
Social Media Boss

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Yeah, that is a drawback on mine that it can be noisy
Our site don't mind if it is a wooden deck or metal as long as it is in good repair

A solution to the noise issue would be to use the astro turf or coir matting it also gets very hot in summer for little feet (pets or toddlers)

Coir matting can be bought from carpet shops and cut to size

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1

Last edited by Angela B; 06-06-2013 at 21:49.
Old 06-06-2013, 22:07
Forum Advertiser

uPVC has a massive advantage over wooden, mainly due too the fact its nearly maintenance free! Only needs a power wash once in a while, no staining every year or two, no rotting etc.
uPVC decking either comes with a metal subframe or wooden. Too be honest, the difference in minimal.. Even with a wooden subframe they still have a massive life span due too 99.9% of the wooden being protected via boards/fascia etc.
I've seen a fair few of the full metal balcony's Angela mentions and in my opinion they look pants! The chequered floors are awful and once they start too rust theres no return.
Old 07-06-2013, 00:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela B View Post
A solution to the noise issue would be to use the astro turf or coir matting it also gets very hot in summer for little feet (pets or toddlers)

Coir matting can be bought from carpet shops and cut to size
Good call Angela
I might try that
Old 07-06-2013, 01:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckspares View Post
uPVC has a massive advantage over wooden, mainly due too the fact its nearly maintenance free! Only needs a power wash once in a while, no staining every year or two, no rotting etc.
uPVC decking either comes with a metal subframe or wooden. Too be honest, the difference in minimal.. Even with a wooden subframe they still have a massive life span due too 99.9% of the wooden being protected via boards/fascia etc.
I've seen a fair few of the full metal balcony's Angela mentions and in my opinion they look pants! The chequered floors are awful and once they start too rust theres no return.
My galvanised deck looks like it was made yesterday
No rust at all
Looks brand new
Not fashionable to have metal but I think more practible
I just wish I could afford pvc
Old 07-06-2013, 01:40
Supporting Member

We've got wooden that my Hubby made himself and has already stood being moved twice for the last three vans we've had......think it's gonna last Donkeys years yet (He built it to last ). It needs treating at least once a year tho'

Would much prefer PVC but I can't convince him that ours needs replacing

ML.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:36

Wood for me, treated with over 60 of decking oil, this stuff soaks into the timber and helps restore the colour. Once done I now use some clear coat stain oil just to keep up.

Cannot afford UPVC and a metal one that is not galvanised last about two years by the sea and then is just a rusting mess.

Si

Check out the social group clubs on my page:http://www.gostatic.co.uk/member.php?u=17474
BERT the Gostatic mascot-RIP 2012. Fare well faithful defender of our static
Old 08-06-2013, 16:10

Deckspares sell Upvc for the price of wood and they look the bee's knees but Mr AB won't DIY it together, he wanted someone to do the job lot in one go so we settled for wood. I would not have considered wrought iron as we have iron gates at home and no one wants to paint them - tedious job.