Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Insurance

Insurance Discussion about all issues related to static caravan insurance, from which insurer to how best to make a claim.

Old 03-12-2014, 14:01

Thumbs up Newbie happily insured

As a Newbie the OH & I have trawled all of the Insurance threads here and elsewhere, obtained a few quotes and today finally settled with a Towergate Policy arranged through Wayne of Crosby who advertise on this site.

The difference between the quote we've just accepted and the site's own 'Large Insurer' was almost 200 for the same level of cover but with a welcome 0 excess compared with that of 75 offered/imposed by that 'Large Insurer'.

Even allowing for the hefty 'admin fee 'chargeable by our site (Bunn Leisure) the time/effort spent shopping around for our own Insurance has resulted in a considerable saving now and, unless things change drastically, probably for the next few years too.

So - Many thanks to all here who guided us by sharing their Insurance experiences: particularly Marianda24 (who's posts drew our particular attention to the Crosby Broker).

Bob and Margaret L

Old 03-12-2014, 15:25

Gosh that's a big saving
Old 03-12-2014, 17:08

we are with towergate and it seems as good as any

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 25-06-2017, 08:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
As a Newbie the OH & I have trawled all of the Insurance threads here and elsewhere, obtained a few quotes and today finally settled with a Towergate Policy arranged through Wayne of Crosby who advertise on this site.

The difference between the quote we've just accepted and the site's own 'Large Insurer' was almost 200 for the same level of cover but with a welcome 0 excess compared with that of 75 offered/imposed by that 'Large Insurer'.

Even allowing for the hefty 'admin fee 'chargeable by our site (Bunn Leisure) the time/effort spent shopping around for our own Insurance has resulted in a considerable saving now and, unless things change drastically, probably for the next few years too.

So - Many thanks to all here who guided us by sharing their Insurance experiences: particularly Marianda24 (who's posts drew our particular attention to the Crosby Broker).

Bob and Margaret L
I have just had a quote from A plan insurance broker for Towergate. Cover for 72500!! No excess, 208. Leisure days cover for 60,000 75 excess 459!!!!! But this is the sites preferred insurer so I am still not totally comfortable moving away
Old 25-06-2017, 09:37

Crikey your van must be very expensive to warrant that sort of cover of 72,500 or 60,000,
Do you really need that amount of cover?

I too had a quote from Towergate, but their terms & conditions for winter protection put me off, quoting me that my boiler/ heating must be on when the site closed.
I asked the advisor if that was correct, and told me it was.
Unless I mis understood, so I took my new policy out with the sites preferred insurer for peace of mind, Leisuredays underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance
Few people on our site lost their roofs with storm Doris, and the insurer replaced their vans new for old quickly,

Each to their own.

Last edited by sparkrace22; 25-06-2017 at 09:42.
Old 25-06-2017, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkrace22 View Post
Crikey your van must be very expensive to warrant that sort of cover of 72,500 or 60,000,
Do you really need that amount of cover?

I too had a quote from Towergate, but their terms & conditions for winter protection put me off, quoting me that my boiler/ heating must be on when the site closed.
I asked the advisor if that was correct, and told me it was.
Unless I mis understood, so I took my new policy out with the sites preferred insurer for peace of mind, Leisuredays underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance
Few people on our site lost their roofs with storm Doris, and the insurer replaced their vans new for old quickly,

Each to their own.
You only have to turn the water off and open the taps! I do that in the winter anyway. Leisure days say basically the same. The van is a BK Sheraton. A new one on the site is 60000.
Old 25-06-2017, 20:10

no that's only if you leave the water on we are with towergate.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 25-06-2017, 23:00

Will get a new quote from them in October, but to be honest there was not much in it last year,

Thanks anyway
Old 26-06-2017, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post

Bob and Margaret L
Our Insurance on a new lodge was 160 including public liability. We do have to pay the first 50 of a claim. The sites fee was over 400. It pays to shop around. We would need to have over five claims to get to that price. Hopefully we won't need to claim. The policy is new for old, with CB insurance.