Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Technical Issues

Technical Issues A place to ask and/or give advice on technical issues

Old 03-09-2019, 10:19

Default Gas usage and gas changeover valve query

Hi all.
I'm new to the forum and a new owner of a static which will soon become home for my family when we start our self-build of our house.

I'm currently prepping the static to move into, and have a queries about the gas changeover valve... And gas in general...

First of all, I've seen reference to 'changeover valve' and 'auto changeover valve'; how do I tell which I have?
(I have a very tired looking two-bottle valve with a black changeover knob currently, but only one bottle attached).

Assuming 'auto' does what it suggests, then that is what I want...

Secondly, does anyone have any idea how long a 47kg bottle is likely to last during a cold spell? We have DG and CH / HW on a combi boiler; my wife tends to like it warm, so I'm not likely to be keeping the thermostat low!

Finally... (for now!) I've seen 4-bottle changeover valves, and wondered if I should go down that route; is there a downside to these?

Many many thanks in advance for your time!

Last edited by RWhites; 03-09-2019 at 10:28.

Old 03-09-2019, 15:37
Forum Advertiser

Hi, to the forum. From what you have said you have an automatic changeover valve, there are manual ones out there, but very few now a days. Its ideal for what you have. Going over to a 4 bottle changeover valve is a good idea, especially if you`re going to be living in it during the winter, as you will use a lot of gas especially if you have central heating. I couldn`t tell you how long a bottle will last but I have known people to get through 2 and more bottles a week in cold conditions. Unfortunately caravans do not hold the heat as well as bricks and mortar so your heating will be on more.

www.caraconnect.co.uk
01206860746 07817730981
Old 03-09-2019, 17:27
Supporting Member

to the forum....
The auto changeover valves that we had operated by you setting it on tank 1 to start with. When this tank registered as empty the valve flagged up a marker to indicate it was using gas from tank 2. When you saw the marker you would change tank 1 for a full tank. At this point you flick the setting over to indicate tank 2 was the main tank & the flag would be reset. When tank 2 emptied the process started again except it would be tank2 empty and in need of replacing. You needed to check for the flag regularily or you would get caught with both tanks empty and no gas until your supply could get with new tanks.
In reality there was always a little gas left in a tank as they switched over at a very low pressure rather than zero.

Last edited by DavidE; 03-09-2019 at 17:34.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:22

Great info - thank you Caraconnect and DavidE. Ironically I suspect we'll be moving in just when the weather is getting colder!

I've been liberal with additional internal insulation, and have installed a woodburner (safely), so I'm hoping for 'snug' in the evening - he says with his rose tinted specs firmly in place...

The winter mornings are likely to be a different matter I suspect...
Old 05-09-2019, 10:13

The best tip I can give you if you want to stay warm in the winter and not use too much gas is to install a wireless thermostat. The first year we had our van, on a holiday site we stayed many weeks over the winter months and used loads of gas, but once we got our themostat we use a lot less gas. The thermostat we've got can be set for 7 days a week and several settings a day. You can set various temperatures for different times of the day, once the temperature is reached the heating goes off, unlike a timer which stays on till the set time. It's easy to over-ride if you want more heat or set lower if you are going to be out so no gas wastage. I have to say we have stayed at our van over the Christmas period and never felt cold.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4
Old 23-09-2019, 09:17

Thank you Bells64.
I had considered that, but not got around to it just yet. It does have a thermostat with basic programming already, but it could be a lot better. I'll do some research on alternatives.
Thank you!