Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Static Caravan Reviews > ABI

ABI Reviews and discussion about caravans made by ABI

Old 23-06-2011, 00:37
Administrator

Default ABI St David 2009

Discuss and review the ABI St David 2009 here

Follow us on Twitter (Info)

Old 23-06-2011, 07:42

A very popular caravan. Great use of space, good colour scheme and comfortable. Its been a popular unit.

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube
Old 23-06-2011, 11:13

ABI St David 2009 36x12 feet

2 bedrooms, sleeps 6

The van has two entrances, one at the side and one at the front, ideal with decking.

Longe/kitchen/dining area
The lounge seating is fixed and in a C shape which is ideal for us as plenty of 'sprawl' room when reading or watching tv. We find the seats very comfortable, I wonder if the filling is memory foam or similar. The centre of the C on the seating pulls out to make a reasonable sized double bed on a metal frame with springs. My daughter has used it and decreed it comfortable.
The dining table and chairs are freestanding and set near the side door. The table is a little on the small side but fine for the two of us. The kitchen area is a U shape with plenty of cupboard space. There is an area where a microwave would go which has been left open and we use this to put our plates etc which is very handy. Our cooker and fridge freezer run on gas (we do not have mains electrics and use solar power for lights etc). There are plenty of work surfaces in the kitchen although the one to the left is a little narrow. My one quibble in this part of the van is that there is not a good area for books/maps etc etc. There are some shelves low down beneath where the tv sits, but these are rather impractical. The van has plenty of windows in this area and I feel a window could have been sacrificed to provide a shelving unit.
A door leads to a narrow hallway. Off this on the right is the family bathroom which has a toilet and handbasin and a roomy shower which works very well. There is a narrow storage cupboard. On the left is the second bedroom with two single beds with a bedside cupboard between, overhead cupboards and a small wardrobe. Further along is the main bedroom which is very roomy with a king size bed which lifts up and has good storage underneath. Again, overhead cupboards and two good sized full length wardrobes split by a cupboard and shelving unit with wiring for a tv. There is also a small dressing table with drawers and shelves and bedside cabinets each side of the bed. There is a small en suite toilet and handbasin a storage cupboard and the hot water and heating boiler enclosed in a further cupboard. The compromise for us is that both the toilet areas are rather small particularly when sat on the loo. Its easy to leave the door open on our en suite (if you are on your own!!!!), but a bit tricky to find something to do with your knees otherwise. Perhaps if we weren't so tall...............

Heating is provided by the gas run cental heating and a gas fire in the lounge.

Overall this van is just what we wanted and we are very happy with her.
Old 23-06-2011, 17:23
Supporting Member

We also have a St David but ours only has the one door at the side, I love the sofa with a chaise either end but the loose cushioned back can be a pain sometimes especially when the dogs decide to re-arrange them.
The second bedroom is a bit small and we found the two single beds and floor space a bit tight so we took the beds out and my hubby custom made a small double bed, which has freed up a lot of floor space plus he can now fit his fishing rods and folding chairs under the bed.
I agree with Jodi about the en suite and shower room, both are a little on the small side, you can't really get dressed in the shower room but luckily the main bedroom is plenty big enough.
The colour scheme is contemporary without being too modern and it's good how you can either have the tv on the unit or wall mounted, which is already pre-wired.
The heating makes it very cosy when it's cold outside but the electric fire, although very pretty is not as warm as gas, in fact it's not very efficient at all.
The van is just about perfect for us and if I were to design it from new I wouldn't change much, but I would have put a lift up glass lid on the oven.
ML