Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Insurance

Insurance Discussion about all issues related to static caravan insurance, from which insurer to how best to make a claim.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:29

Default Do I have to take park's insurance?

I bought a static last July and was told by the site team it had to be insured, fair enough. They have their own cover for the site but said they were in negotiations with the insurers and would give me a quote. As this wasn't forthcoming I bought my own insurance, told them and gave them a copy. I wasn't charged an admin fee. I've now been told I must have my van insured through their insurers and not my own. I explained that would be fine if it offered the same or better cover for the same or lower price. I've read a Trading Standards Service document "DTI Caravan Holiday Homes - Questions you should ask" and it states that the park owners cannot insist on me taking their insurance. What are my rights if I chose not to have their cover?
What's the worst that can happen?
Ta

Old 12-04-2016, 14:13

If trading standards say they can't do that, I would take it as being correct. Perhaps you should show the park owners the leaflet. They may not want to get involved with trading standards as they could end up in court trying to defending the undefendable.
Old 12-04-2016, 14:35
Departed Friend

welcome to the forum.you are right,you don,t have to take the park insurance,as long as you have insurance equal or better than theirs.
the only action they may take is to charge an admin fee,set by the park,which may negate your saving.also,the park would not help you with any claim.
Old 12-04-2016, 17:31

Thanks both. I'm waiting for a call from them to see what their quote is and what their policy covers before I mention Trading Standards. I've a feeling they may get awkward if I mention that straight away; it's my 'last resort' option.
Thanks
Old 12-04-2016, 17:39

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by risca_boy View Post
Thanks both. I'm waiting for a call from them to see what their quote is and what their policy covers before I mention Trading Standards. I've a feeling they may get awkward if I mention that straight away; it's my 'last resort' option.
Thanks
I think that's a sensible approach.
Old 12-04-2016, 20:04

It won't help involving trading standards. I certainly don't support their view but sites do have reasons for uniform insurance. If their quote is reasonable just take it and get on with enjoying your van.
Old 12-04-2016, 20:06

Ours used to not have a preferred insurer but now have. The quote was twice the price and not as good. I took in a photocopy and explained my reasons. They haven't kicked off or charged. But they have said in the event of a claim the site maintenance wont enter the caravan with the menders etc or basically be helpful. But for 200 that's something we will accept.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 12-04-2016, 20:26
Departed Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigland2003 View Post
It won't help involving trading standards. I certainly don't support their view but sites do have reasons for uniform insurance. If their quote is reasonable just take it and get on with enjoying your van.
my thoughts exactly.if everything else is perfect it,s not worth the agro.
Old 12-04-2016, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick1950 View Post
welcome to the forum.you are right,you don,t have to take the park insurance,as long as you have insurance equal or better than theirs.
the only action they may take is to charge an admin fee,set by the park,which may negate your saving.also,the park would not help you with any claim.
Thats a bit of a leap of faith if we havent read the site contract

OP: Forget what the salesman said/says......what is ACTUALLY written in your site agreement?
Old 12-04-2016, 22:15
Supporting Member

I was just thinking how sad it is that so many of us have to be both seeking and giving advice on contractual matters, given the subject is supposed to be a relaxing holiday home.
That said, we all need to read and fully understand what we are agreeing to when signing a park contract.( or any contract ! )