Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Insurance

Insurance Discussion about all issues related to static caravan insurance, from which insurer to how best to make a claim.

Old 22-08-2017, 13:05

Default New to caravanning - confused over insurance!

Hi, I have recently purchased my first ever static caravan and have been looking at insurance. I am confused over the new for old cover and was wondering if anybody could give me some advice.

The caravan I have bought is an older model (2004). The insurance I was looking at had 3 different levels of cover and I was looking at the differences between them. The stated differences between the new for old cover were 4 years, 5 years and 6 years. What does this refer to? I rang the insurers up to ask and the woman I spoke to didn't know!!!

If it means that your van has to be no older than 4 years, 5 years or 6 years the insurance would obviously not be worth taking out on a van that is 13 years old. Or does it refer to something else? Any help/advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Old 22-08-2017, 13:37

there is usually three levels of cover ( i could be wrong )
new for old
market value
or agreed sum
new for old is usually automatic for vans under 5 years old but my insurers it is 7
hope that helps.
Old 22-08-2017, 15:54

Hi Sarah & welcome. I'm new to this but the site covered my insurance till march which is new for old cover.
Sorry I can't help you. My van is 2004 x
Old 22-08-2017, 16:18

Most insurance companies won't give you new for old cover on an older van. As Water Hog said there are probably 3 levels of cover dependent upon the age of the van. Unfortunately it's not a case of saying that it's not worth taking out cover on a 13 year old van, I don't think the site will give you any choice, insurance is compulsory either the site's own insurers or you own, but you can't avoid it. It's not just for you protection but the site has to cover themselves in case of fire or an explosion that could cause damage around you, so you need 3rd party cover as well. On our site last year the roof blew off a van that then damaged a further 3 vans. If you van is 13 years old just go for the cheapest you can get.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4
Old 22-08-2017, 16:23

it was all new to me for statics insurance last year i insured mine for agreed sum which was what i paid for it , this year i added new for old for an extra 22k cover and the premium only went up 20 !!! not alot of difference
Old 23-08-2017, 13:58

I insured mine with Leisuredays for the value I paid and added my decking which again added more to the premium.
I also took out legal cover.

This year the price of our van has risen a couple of thou, so do I need to increase my insurance as its new for old, and is it necessary to have legal cover at an additional premium, any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 23-08-2017, 15:42

Yes you should increase cover to reflect the cost of a new van, if you have legal cover with your home insurance then no need to take it out with the van insurance.
I'm with leisure days and they cover new for old up to 15yrs from manufacture. They more expensive than others but are recommended by site so if I do have problems site will liaise with them to sort it out and save me travelling back and forth.
Last year I upped my cover to bring the cost down , the higher the amount your insured for the less the cost per 1000 , so I got something like an extra 5k of cover and it saved me about 20 , so worth asking what the next threshold is and get a quote on that
Old 23-08-2017, 20:10

Cheers Slattster!

Will ask about that & drop the legal cover, I did wonder at the time if I really needed that.
Leisure days are our sites recommended insurer, it seems quite comprehensive as it covers vermin, not many do.
Old 24-08-2017, 08:06

Some insurance companies make it quite complicated. However, I'm surprised the lady in the insurance office couldn't answer your question.

Perhaps you should ring again and ask to speak to a manager if you get the same response.
We are new for old but in all honesty, I don't know if that is maintained through the life of the van or whether it expires when it reaches a certain age. I need to find out.
Old 25-08-2017, 07:33

Talking

Thanks for all the advice. After a lot of looking around I've gone with Towergate who have offered new for old on our van. It cost a bit more than market value but I think it is worth it. Insuring for an agreed sum sounds interesting though and might be the way to go next year. Looking forward to getting it all set up this weekend, so excited

Last edited by Sarah Waller; 25-08-2017 at 07:37.