Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Subletting

Subletting Advice on all aspects of subletting (hiring) your caravan

Old 04-10-2017, 10:09

Default Newbie With Some Questions ;)

Hi Guys

My Mother has just purchased a static caravan here in Cornwall, mainly for her to use as a bit of a getaway, but as she is on a pension she will need to rent it out some of the time in order to pay the site fees.

I have a quote for public liability insurance in place which seems OK at around 110

And I am in the process of looking through great sites like this to get some insight into how it all works

As Mum is a dog lover, she would like to be able to offer the caravan for rent to other pet lovers, but I am wondering if this is a great idea?

I realise that she would limit her market so to speak by not allowing pets, but what happens if the visitors decide to go out and leave the dogs inside, they then in turn get scared and begin to eat the furniture lol or scratch at the doors?

I assume some sort of extra damage deposit would be the best idea? has anyone had any real drama's renting to animal lovers? or do you have additional deposits for animals?

I would also like to get some sort of contract agreement which includes a T+C section, is there a generic One out there I could download and edit for her?

As I don't think I could actually construct anything like this from scratch myself

Thanks in advance guys

Old 04-10-2017, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percymama View Post
Hi Guys

My Mother has just purchased a static caravan here in Cornwall, mainly for her to use as a bit of a getaway, but as she is on a pension she will need to rent it out some of the time in order to pay the site fees.

I have a quote for public liability insurance in place which seems OK at around 110

And I am in the process of looking through great sites like this to get some insight into how it all works

As Mum is a dog lover, she would like to be able to offer the caravan for rent to other pet lovers, but I am wondering if this is a great idea?

I realise that she would limit her market so to speak by not allowing pets, but what happens if the visitors decide to go out and leave the dogs inside, they then in turn get scared and begin to eat the furniture lol or scratch at the doors?

I assume some sort of extra damage deposit would be the best idea? has anyone had any real drama's renting to animal lovers? or do you have additional deposits for animals?

I would also like to get some sort of contract agreement which includes a T+C section, is there a generic One out there I could download and edit for her?

As I don't think I could actually construct anything like this from scratch myself

Thanks in advance guys
to the forum.

I will only comment on the pets issue as I don't rent out my van. I'm sure you will receive better advice from owners who do rent out their vans.

On pets, my son-in-law has recently bought my daughter two beautiful Bengal cats. Both have been neutered as they are brother and sister. This should help with their temperament and hopefully stop the male from spraying his territory. He hasn't been spraying but has urinated twice recently. Once on some washing in the utility room and once on a duvet, in one of their son's bedroom. This hopefully will be a temporary problem, but who knows?

If that was all, it wouldn't be much of a problem but they have also ruined a beautiful and expensive chair in their lounge. Needless to say, they are now banned from the lounge. She also has two sofas in her kitchen and sitting area, fortunately, they have throws covering them as they are new. It's a good job they are covered as the throws have been badly plucked.

My advice is to tell her not to even think about allowing pets in her van as you can never tell what damage pets can do and as she won't be there when the pets are, she will have no control on their behavior.

Last edited by Mosquito; 04-10-2017 at 11:11.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:22

to the forum Percymama. I hope your mum has many years of making memories in her new home from home.
I can only comment on the pet aspect as I don't rent mine out. I have a 16 year old that I take to my van with me. Most of the time he is sleep and doesn't bother with anything, however when he does wake up then he does try and use the 3 piece suite as a scratching post. When he was a kitten he wrecked the sofa so I had to buy a new one, I made sure to buy a leather one and he has always left that alone, however the one at the van is fair game to him. I have to watch him like a hawk or else it would be wrecked in an evening.
The van next door to me has 5 dogs. They had to trade in their last van as it was wrecked, the dogs had basically torn the van to pieces, both in the living area and the bedrooms. They upgraded their van and had Venetian blinds at the windows, these were wrecked very quickly and have had to be replaced with voiles. Every time anyone/anything comes past the window the dogs go into a frenzy, you can see them running around the top of the fixed furniture and jumping up at the windows.
If your Mum hires hers out, you can't guarantee that people won't leave the dogs unattended and you can't keep an eye on the damage and you may not be able to ascertain which persons pet made the damage unless she physically checks them out herself every time. The van will be costing your mum a lot of money and it will be her pride and joy, I would say let her keep it that way and just take her own pet.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:27

to the forum Percymama. I agree with Mosquito and Traction about pets having seen results of holiday makers pets in rental caravans.
Unfortunately my booking form and t&c pages are too big to attach however if you pm me I will send them to you as an email attachment.
Brian
Old 05-10-2017, 17:45

I have a dog, we never leave her on her own but we hear ( and I mean hear ) plenty who are left alone all day, quick walk and then owners off to the club house. I wouldn't unless they were people I know

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 05-10-2017, 23:31

Apart from possible damage, and extra cleaning another thing you will need to do is let other people know about pets as some people could be allergic to them and the last thing you need is a compen claim.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:14

Default Pets

I've read this post about hiring caravans to pet owners with interest, here is my two pennorth....for what it's worth. I/we do not have our own caravan (our choice) mainly because of the ground rent. We do however hire other people's caravans and also have a (small) dog. If the dog cannot go somewhere with us, then we also do not go, again, that is our choice. Personally, we treat a rented caravan as we do our own home, we look after it and have been told (on occasions) that we have left the van cleaner than we found it.

We do accept however that not everyone treats what doesn't belong to them with the same respect but feel that pet owners are (unfairly being tarred with the same brush). We have rented caravans where the nearby caravans have overrun the site with unruly and abusive children. We have also rented a caravan where the previous occupant "smoked for England" despite the owner having a smoking ban.

Perhaps what I am trying to say is that there are good and bad people everywhere and there are those who abide by the rules and show respect to others and their possessions and those who do not. And YES, this can include pet owners also but smokers and parents/grandparents with children and the list goes on.

Speaking personally. If I/we had our own caravan then there is no way that I would rent it to anyone, simply because I would want to use it myself. However, to suggest that "all pet owners are bad" is perhaps too sweeping a generalisation........are all people with children or those who smoke also bad?

To the original poster I would say:

FIRSTLY - Enjoy your van, get as much use out of it as you can.
SECONDLY - If you must rent then draw up a set of rules and if you want to ban pets then so be it......BUT MAKE THAT CLEAR.
THIRDLY - It is unfair to say that you will accept pets (or children/smokers) and then impose rules. Either you caravan is pet/smoker/children friendly.......or it isn't.

I do hope that I have put forward an alternative argument for anyone contemplating letting their van to pet owners. Some of us are responsible pet owners and take the behaviour of our pets and the inconvenience/disruption they may cause seriously. There are many responsible pet owners out there and YES there are irresponsible ones too. Just as there are many responsible parents out there and dare I say it, irresponsible ones also.

Thank you.

Last edited by AlmeriaMan; 06-10-2017 at 07:43. Reason: To correct spelling errors
Old 06-10-2017, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmeriaMan View Post
I've read this post about hiring caravans to pet owners with interest, here is my two pennorth....for what it's worth. I/we do not have our own caravan (our choice) mainly because of the ground rent. We do however hire other people's caravans and also have a (small) dog. If the dog cannot go somewhere with us, then we also do not go, again, that is our choice. Personally, we treat a rented caravan as we do our own home, we look after it and have been told (on occasions) that we have left the van cleaner than we found it.

We do accept however that not everyone treats what doesn't belong to them with the same respect but feel that pet owners are (unfairly being tarred with the same brush). We have rented caravans where the nearby caravans have overrun the site with unruly and abusive children. We have also rented a caravan where the previous occupant "smoked for England" despite the owner having a smoking ban.

Perhaps what I am trying to say is that there are good and bad people everywhere and there are those who abide by the rules and show respect to others and their possessions and those who do not. And YES, this can include pet owners also but smokers and parents/grandparents with children and the list goes on.

Speaking personally. If I/we had our own caravan then there is no way that I would rent it to anyone, simply because I would want to use it myself. However, to suggest that "all pet owners are bad" is perhaps too sweeping a generalisation........are all people with children or those who smoke also bad?

To the original poster I would say:

FIRSTLY - Enjoy your van, get as much use out of it as you can.
SECONDLY - If you must rent then draw up a set of rules and if you want to ban pets then so be it......BUT MAKE THAT CLEAR.
THIRDLY - It is unfair to say that you will accept pets (or children/smokers) and then impose rules. Either you caravan is pet/smoker/children friendly.......or it isn't.

I do hope that I have put forward an alternative argument for anyone contemplating letting their van to pet owners. Some of us are responsible pet owners and take the behaviour of our pets and the inconvenience/disruption they may cause seriously. There are many responsible pet owners out there and YES there are irresponsible ones too. Just as there are many responsible parents out there and dare I say it, irresponsible ones also.

Thank you.
AlmeriaMan, I would just like to point out that none of the posts to date have insinuated that "all pet owners are bad". I for one am just pointing out that problems can and do occur with pets.

I'm sure that you and your wife are very fastidious when you rent someone else's caravan and that is how it should be. I'm pointing out that animals don't always act in a way that their owners would like them to. Regarding Children and smoking that can also be a problem but as you say, renters should have strict rules. Being an owner of a rental property in Spain, I can tell you that most guests respect our rules but unfortunately, we do occasionally have the odd people who disregard them. You said yourself "Some of us are responsible pet owners and take the behavior of our pets and the inconvenience/disruption they may cause seriously". Anyone who wants to leave themselves open to problems and potential damage, can if they wish.

We personally don't allow pets in our rental property. That's just our choice and it suits us and our guest's needs and wants. We don't rent our main residence or our van, that suits us. Everyone is different and what they do is their choice.

By the way, I love dogs and cats but can't own either as my wife is allergic to them.

Last edited by Mosquito; 06-10-2017 at 09:45.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:48

I would imagine that renting a caravan to people with children may result in as much damage as dog owners. Ultimately it is about the integrity of the adults in charge and the individual animal/children.

Personally I don't think a caravan is any place for a cat on holiday, too high a risk of it getting out and lost. Much safer to have them cared for in their own home or cattery.

Before we bought our caravan we stayed in many holiday cottages and always left them cleaner than when we arrived to be honest.
We stayed in a beautiful, newly decorated property near Keswick, dog friendly, it was immaculate.
We went back a year later ... A hole had been bashed into stairs wall and the top of the kitchen bench was all burnt, it needed replacing ... a dog or cat didn't cause these.

As far as "real dramas renting to animal owners" ... I reckon your mum will potentially have as many with animal owners ... as without to be honest.

Anyway, good luck whatever your mum decides x
Old 06-10-2017, 17:27

Thanks for all the replies guys

I have to agree that anyone taking a Cat with them on holiday seems a little odd to me, and I hadn't even thought about that, I was talking more about dogs, I would not allow big dogs, and having had Cats myself I wouldn't allow them in such a confined space either, as mentioned above, Cats do love to scratch at furniture, and Male Cats love to spray which is an awful smell!

My concern was even small dogs getting distressed and scratching at the doors when their owners go for an evening drink/meals - dog mess can be cleaned up, but I have known dogs to destroy a door or window trying to get out when they are upset.

And I think she needs to consider other caravan owners on site too, as we all know, a barking dog can get quite annoying after an hour lol

It seems my Mother has some thinking to do here

Does she limit her potential clients by banning pets, or only allow small dogs?

Or just take the chance that there will be no real loss in potential earnings by banning pets?

Thanks again for all the input