Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Insurance

Insurance Discussion about all issues related to static caravan insurance, from which insurer to how best to make a claim.

Old 01-11-2017, 14:54

Default New Site Insurance

We have been notified that our site is now recommending a new insurer, Arthur J Gallagher, as their 'block' insurer. I've never heard of this company, although looking online they do exists and seem to be a large company. Does anybody have any experience of this company and what their charges are like? My insurance runs to next spring and I will get a quote from them then. We have also been told that if we have the site drain down and have the Gallagher insurance their excess of 250 will be nil, never heard of anything like this before and we will be doing our own drain down with a Floe device.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4

Old 01-11-2017, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells64 View Post
We have been notified that our site is now recommending a new insurer, Arthur J Gallagher, as their 'block' insurer. I've never heard of this company, although looking online they do exists and seem to be a large company. Does anybody have any experience of this company and what their charges are like? My insurance runs to next spring and I will get a quote from them then. We have also been told that if we have the site drain down and have the Gallagher insurance their excess of 250 will be nil, never heard of anything like this before and we will be doing our own drain down with a Floe device.
We have to have park approved plumber for draindown to qualify nil access .I have posted in the past stating this.
Do people who do their own draindown,check antifreeze in ch system?
Old 01-11-2017, 15:53
Supporting Member

I have posted on another thread about having the site deal with the drain down. It does mean insurance has nil excess and site owner and wardens sort out any problems that might occur or get experts in & sort it all out ( insurance claims included).
Old 01-11-2017, 15:59
Supporting Member

I meant to say site does offer site wide insurance which seems to be a better deal than we have found elsewhere. We’ve not had to claim anything yet, but a couple of other owners on site have, and say it was a doddle especially having it all dealt with through the site owners.
Old 01-11-2017, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells64 View Post
Our site uses Gallagher insurance and ALL caravan owners MUST insure though them it's in our site rules and contract, whilst they are bit more expensive than other companies they do have a compulsory alarm fitted (which they service every year 60 a service) plus they charge extra to insure any decking ! If a drain down is not done "by a professional " and you get a burst or freeze they will NOT cover you !......I believe you cannot tell how good any insurance company is until you come to make a claim!.
Old 01-11-2017, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
Do people who do their own draindown,check antifreeze in ch system?
I always check mine, purchased my own refractometer. Always best in my opinion is when the heating needs pressurising is to do it with a correct pre-mix of antifreeze and water, that way the concentration should not ever weaken, unless what you have in the system has gone past its sell by date.
Old 01-11-2017, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
I always check mine, purchased my own refractometer. Always best in my opinion is when the heating needs pressurising is to do it with a correct pre-mix of antifreeze and water, that way the concentration should not ever weaken, unless what you have in the system has gone past its sell by date.
Maybe others rely on the annual gas cert.for the antifreeze to be checked?
Old 01-11-2017, 22:41

I don't check mine , it was checked a year ago as we had a problem and it hasn't been topped up since . We don't need the gas cert. But we will get it checked next year when we get the boiler serviced .... Was going to get it serviced this year but never got round to it and too late now , drain down for us this weekend
Old 01-11-2017, 23:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
Maybe others rely on the annual gas cert.for the antifreeze to be checked?
When we had our boiler serviced earlier this year he checked the antifreeze and said it was ok up to -18c. He also re-pressurised the system which I did not want, so -18c quoted is now rubbish
Old 01-11-2017, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.R View Post
If a drain down is not done "by a professional " and you get a burst or freeze they will NOT cover you !
Makes me wonder even if done by a professional and you had a burst whether the insurance would cover you? They may see it as the person doing the drain-down is responsible?

The way I see it, whether you drain yourself or done by a professional, as long as you have the correct amount of antifreeze in the Central Heating system and all other water has been removed, there should be nothing else left to freeze