Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Technical Issues

Technical Issues A place to ask and/or give advice on technical issues

Old 26-11-2012, 13:05

Default Wardrobe condensation

Hi folks,

Well, we are now well and truly settled into our van. Have had the last 5 weekends at it and totally love it!
All is well but we have noticed that we get a lot of condensation inside the wardrobe in the bedroom. The whole wall is wet in the morning. On investigation, I've noticed that there are no vents in the wardrobe, or indeed in the bedroom apart from 2 ceiling vents. It's been too cold to sleep with the windows open all night.
Also noticed that the previous owners must have had the same problem as the carpet has been lifted from inside the wardrobe and tiles put down. On lifting the tiles there are water marks on the wood flooring. I realise that at this time of year condensation can be a problem but my question is, should we add more ventilation to the bedroom or wardrobe? Maybe some floor vents? As we have a long season, we hope to be using the van most of the winter.
What do you think folks??
Marie

Old 26-11-2012, 13:23

three solutions to condensation:
1. Heat,
2. Ventilation
3. Dehumidifier.

Generally more ventilation, but add one of the other two options and you should crack it.

You can fit this kind of thing for heat:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tubular-Heat...3936117&sr=8-2

If its really bad then if might be something else, like water getting in from outside...

Good luck

Andy

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube
Old 26-11-2012, 14:04

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Hi, if you also try using the search button and type in condensation, a few threads come up.
This one gas some useful ideas BUT bear in mind it was posted over 2yrs ago so any price quotes will have changed http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread...e+condensation

There are others too http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread...e+condensation

Hope this helps
Angela B

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1
Old 26-11-2012, 14:35

Have you lifted all the tiles in the wardrobe.There is usually a vent in the floor,only about 50mm at the back of the wardrobe to the left or right depending on which side of the van your wardrobes are at, or there may be one right at the top of the wardrobe at the back obviously on the outside wall.You may have to stand on a chair to see this.
Old 26-11-2012, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
three solutions to condensation:
1. Heat,
2. Ventilation
3. Dehumidifier.

Generally more ventilation, but add one of the other two options and you should crack it.

You can fit this kind of thing for heat:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tubular-Heat...3936117&sr=8-2

If its really bad then if might be something else, like water getting in from outside...

Good luck

Andy
I have to disagree with you there Andy with regards to heat being a solution.In my opinion Heat is the main cause of condensation.Without knowing the whereabouts of the back of the wardrobe wall,it would seem that it could be on an outside wall and adding Heat may cause it to become worse.Ventilation is the key here and if there isn't a vent then I would be making one.All 3 of our Wardrobes have vents in them through the floor and in the front plinths so that there is good circulation.Failing that some salt in a bowl may be a short term option,however the use of salt/moisture traps is an individual choice that some people prefer not to use.
Old 26-11-2012, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj26 View Post
Hi folks,

Well, we are now well and truly settled into our van. Have had the last 5 weekends at it and totally love it!
All is well but we have noticed that we get a lot of condensation inside the wardrobe in the bedroom. The whole wall is wet in the morning. On investigation, I've noticed that there are no vents in the wardrobe, or indeed in the bedroom apart from 2 ceiling vents. It's been too cold to sleep with the windows open all night.
Also noticed that the previous owners must have had the same problem as the carpet has been lifted from inside the wardrobe and tiles put down. On lifting the tiles there are water marks on the wood flooring. I realise that at this time of year condensation can be a problem but my question is, should we add more ventilation to the bedroom or wardrobe? Maybe some floor vents? As we have a long season, we hope to be using the van most of the winter.
What do you think folks??
Marie
Not sure of the van you have, but we have a Willerby Salisbury 2008 and had a similiar problem which we noticed soon after buying it (second hand).

We seemed to have solved by simply leaving the wardrobe door open when we leave after every visit (summer and winter). Wash down with Milton to kill any bugs and try leaving doors open checking after each visit bearing in mind it might take a while for it to dry out. We don't have any vents in wardrobe unit either but that obviously may help with airflow.

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/bluemax90/
Old 26-11-2012, 16:57
Banned

TreeTops. Gave good advice at this time of the year it is a constant fight against condensation.
Old 26-11-2012, 18:28

Check the gutters etc sounds a lot of wet for condensation.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 26-11-2012, 18:47
Supporting Member

i would definately check under the tiles... you never know what is under there... maybe the last owners have covered the vent up, that's if you have a vent in there....

and like maddy says, check the outside of your van too!

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 26-11-2012, 19:40

Every caravan I've had suffered from condensation within wardrobes. Even under beds and other confined places. In my last van I added more vents within the floor and made no difference what so ever. The only way I've found to cure it is to leave the doors open!