Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 26-01-2014, 12:09

I had a Qashqai in 2009 that had the Bluetooth handsfree for my phone so thats not really new. However we had a test drive in the new Nissan Qashqai yesterday, funnily enough TT and that had a 7" touchscreen that connects you to internet radio, Google, Facebook, Twitter etc and will let you use some of the most popular Apps too. You can use Google to find your route on your laptop/tablet and send it directly to your Qashqai.
Looks like we will soon be able to get our GoStatic fix while in our cars.

Last edited by Marianda24; 26-01-2014 at 12:11.

Old 26-01-2014, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traction View Post
Hi guys
Galazzo I can't help you I'm afraid, I'm not technical and haven't heard of the Tapatalk app.

My issue is I want to "tether" my phone to my lap top which uses windows 8. I have unlimited internet usage and can get a signal at my van as I can make calls etc and I have done it before on windows 7 but can't work it out now unfortunately. If anyone could help me I would REALLY appreciate it.
Darren I think this will be a very useful thread - thanks for starting it up
Hi Trish - I've got Windows 8 and 8.1 on various devices and will take a look when I get the chance. I take it your provider allows for tethering as a lot don't. Having 2GB of data is great but not if you are limited to doing everything on the handset! Can you advise what the handset is and the service provider?
Old 26-01-2014, 12:28

We have asked about tapatalk before and Darren said he would look into it.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 26-01-2014, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRob View Post
Sky Go, BBC Iplayer etc are the bane of caravan site shared WiFi setups. Our WiFi system which I set up myself works great for 100 caravans to download Emails, any web page views you like, the occasional Skype contact, etc. There is enough bandwidth for all to do that but 1 Sky Go user slows the system down quite a bit & 2 Sky Go users at once shuts the system down for everyone except the people who are antisocially grabbing all the bandwidth. I have as yet been unable to find a way to block Sky Go but I can & do kick people off the system if they are causing problems for the majority. Our site owner said I can go further & ban them entirely but so far I have managed to keep the system running smoothly by monitoring the output. Our site owner says that if any user persists in causing problems for others, I can ban them entirely & the caravan owner would have to ask the site owner to be reconnected where they would have the opportunity to explain the antisocial unfairness of what they are doing.
We don't have 3G coverage in our area so the site WiFi is the only way anyone can get internet. In fact, we don't even have 2G phone coverage in many parts of the site!
I wonder how many users at your site have any idea about contention and shared bandwidth, let alone the impact of high bandwidth use on a shared network. I wonder if a simple note to all owners explaining that the network is for email and general browsing but not for Sky or netflix etc might resolve a few problems. If this is ignored then move onto enforced usage / connection
Old 26-01-2014, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRob View Post
Sky Go, BBC Iplayer etc are the bane of caravan site shared WiFi setups. Our WiFi system which I set up myself works great for 100 caravans to download Emails, any web page views you like, the occasional Skype contact, etc. There is enough bandwidth for all to do that but 1 Sky Go user slows the system down quite a bit & 2 Sky Go users at once shuts the system down for everyone except the people who are antisocially grabbing all the bandwidth. I have as yet been unable to find a way to block Sky Go but I can & do kick people off the system if they are causing problems for the majority. Our site owner said I can go further & ban them entirely but so far I have managed to keep the system running smoothly by monitoring the output. Our site owner says that if any user persists in causing problems for others, I can ban them entirely & the caravan owner would have to ask the site owner to be reconnected where they would have the opportunity to explain the antisocial unfairness of what they are doing.
We don't have 3G coverage in our area so the site WiFi is the only way anyone can get internet. In fact, we don't even have 2G phone coverage in many parts of the site!
I'm fairly sure that Treetops uses DD-WRT on his routers which implements Quality of Services settings to restrict types of media browsed/downloaded. That's another option - if it's not there in the first place.. it won't be missed! My 2p is if you want to stream media then buy your own MiFi or dongle and pay for it yourself!!
Old 26-01-2014, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellfed View Post
I'm fairly sure that Treetops uses DD-WRT on his routers which implements Quality of Services settings to restrict types of media browsed/downloaded. That's another option - if it's not there in the first place.. it won't be missed! My 2p is if you want to stream media then buy your own MiFi or dongle and pay for it yourself!!
Why not get Marianda to park her car close to your van and use her cars wifi
I sat in a new Qashqai today and the tablet thingy was similar to the one I had seen.(Apparently I had sat in a very limited edition one in black ..loads of money.. we got a brand new van sited etc.etc.etc. for the price of that car)

Are the motoring laws the same penalty for using a tablet whilst driving as using a mobile phone
Old 26-01-2014, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
I sat in a new Qashqai today and the tablet thingy was similar to the one I had seen.(Apparently I had sat in a very limited edition one in black ..loads of money.. we got a brand new van sited etc.etc.etc. for the price of that car)

Are the motoring laws the same penalty for using a tablet whilst driving as using a mobile phone
The limited addition is only available to people who already have a Qashqai but the technology is available on 2 of the 4 models. I would think all the things available on the touchscreen (apart from the sat nav and reverse parking camera) are covered in the same motoring rules as TVs and DVDs in cars.

Back on topic . Its a shame if people are clogging up their site internet connection by using SkyGo and BBC iPlayer and I totally agree with wellfed that if you want to use these websites you should provide your own mi-fi or dongle leaving the site's internet for just browsing (or reading/posting on GoStatic)
Old 26-01-2014, 14:00

Yes thanks for the tips. I know Treetops uses DD-WRT software on his system because he told me some time ago. I have a router with DD-WRT as the standby unit so I may swap them next season & try that. The other idea about explaining to everyone about bandwidth sharing is a great idea too. I did think about asking our site owners if they could include a short piece on this to every ones yearly site fees bill but so far I have only tried educating them myself. I have a notice on the laundry room notice board thinking that as most people have time on their hands with nothing better to do than watch the washing go around, they might take a look. I also put a small piece up on our site webpages & forum but it does not seem to have made any difference. I was thinking this year of printing a sheet out myself & taking a copy round to every caravan owner.
Its not just the number of caravans, its surprising how many devices are in use in each caravan. Most vans each parent has at least one device each and so do the kids so some caravans have 5 or 6 devices connected at once. I don't blame the users in a way because they are all used to doing the same at their home internet so they probably don't understand how a shared system works so most likely ignorance rather than malice.
Thanks for the ideas folks.
Old 26-01-2014, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellfed View Post
Hi Trish - I've got Windows 8 and 8.1 on various devices and will take a look when I get the chance. I take it your provider allows for tethering as a lot don't. Having 2GB of data is great but not if you are limited to doing everything on the handset! Can you advise what the handset is and the service provider?
hi wellfed, thank you, I'm on 3 and I have a samsung s3 mini. I've been with 3 for years and done this tethering loads before. i have unlimited access for the net. The guys at work said use the lead instead of wireless so I tried that and all it ended up doing was dis-charging the battery even though it said it was charging. I'm obviously doing something wrong! I can't get to grips with windows 8 - even bought a book but still struggling. Thank you for your help x x
Old 26-01-2014, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianda24 View Post
Trish. Ive never heard of Tapatalk either!

Regarding your tethering, have you tried googling it? I just did so try this (assuming you have an Android phone)

https://tether.com/android/windows

I havent tried it out as I dont have Windows 8. Hope it helps
Glad it's not only me Gill lol. Yes I tried googling, asking the guys at work even my windows 8 book - and still can't work it out. I think I've used every windows
s operating system since 3.1 but this 8 version is driving me insane - wish I'd never bought a new lap top