Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 26-01-2014, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traction View Post
hi wellfed, thank you, I'm on 3 and I have a samsung s3 mini. I've been with 3 for years and done this tethering loads before. i have unlimited access for the net. The guys at work said use the lead instead of wireless so I tried that and all it ended up doing was dis-charging the battery even though it said it was charging. I'm obviously doing something wrong! I can't get to grips with windows 8 - even bought a book but still struggling. Thank you for your help x x
Hi Traction

Windows 8? I've used every PC operating system from Windows 95 up to Windows 7 and Windows 8 is the only one I've decided not to try so far, not saying it's not ok for some, but not for me and possibly for the same reasons you can't get to grips with it. It's no use in my opinion hanging on to an operating system you are struggling with, so why not consider if possible going back to one you feel more comfortable with?

I've not done tethering myself as my mobile provider told me they don't allow it, why that is I don't know? If my mobile package allows 500mb of data, why can't I use it how I wish?

You said that you tried tethering with a lead and it was dis-charging your battery, but did you actually get the tethering working?

I know that tethering is hard on the battery and may probably dis-charge quicker than it can charge. While tethering with the cable, did you switch off apps / devices on your phone that would not be needed e.g. Wi-Fi / Bluetooth / GPS etc?

Also, what operating system is your mobile using e.g. Android / Bada etc?

Old 26-01-2014, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traction View Post
Glad it's not only me Gill lol. Yes I tried googling, asking the guys at work even my windows 8 book - and still can't work it out. I think I've used every windows
s operating system since 3.1 but this 8 version is driving me insane - wish I'd never bought a new lap top
My hubby (Bassetman) had a new laptop with Windows 8 late last year and he just couldn't get on with it, in fact it got to the stage that he rarely took it out of its bag. Mark loves his music and 8 doesn't use Windows Media Player so he just stopped playing his music
Finally a few weeks ago he decided to do just what Cylon has suggested and asked a friend of ours who builds computers to remove Windows 8 and put Windows 7 onto it.
Job done - one very happy bassetman
Old 26-01-2014, 19:56

You can ask Windows eight to be Windows seven. I think the down load is now built into it

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 26-01-2014, 22:24

hi guys
yes my phone is an android phone. When I used the lead I still didn't the tethering, I had turned my home broadband off and so couldn't get on net. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I know lots of people have had trouble with windows 8 which makes me feel better lol, It's so frustrating
Old 26-01-2014, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy View Post
You can ask Windows eight to be Windows seven. I think the down load is now built into it
any ideas how you do that Maddy? I'm very very tempted lol
Old 26-01-2014, 23:50

Quote:
I may be possibly wrong Maddy, but to my knowledge I don't think the above option is available? You may be able to make it act more like Windows 7, but to be able to make the most of this customisation, I think it would only work best by upgrading to Windows 8.1 first and even then you may need to install some third party applications.

@ Traction: I mentioned in my post (21) about possibly going back to an operating system (OS) you are more comfortable with, what I meant by possibly is that a lot may depend on whether the hardware in your laptop would be compatible with an earlier OS. You may need the manufacturer to confirm this, as they may have designed it specifically for Windows 8 and that is all the hardware drivers will work with.

If it was me I would consider upgrading to Windows 8.1, I think it's free and a better OS and if you still don't like it, I think it would give you a better chance of tweaking it closer to say Windows 7 for instance.

With regards to your tethering problems, you may find that Windows 8.1 works with it ok.
Old 27-01-2014, 00:51

Another vote for Window 8.1 here - it solved a few 'characteristics' my laptop was experiencing and given it's a free download (albeit about 3GB of free download!) maybe worth a try?

@ Traction - I seem to recall problems with network drivers which caused an issue on Windows 8 so it might be worth plugging in the mobile and navigating to the Control Panel and selecting Device Manager and seeing if your phone is showing an exclamation mark - it will be under Network Adaptors. Could you give that a go and let us know what you find, please?

I have to admit that I'm lost without the start button so coughed up a couple of quid for Start8 which gives me that back and also boots to the classic desktop - Windows 8.1 also allows the latter. That said, I have a Windows 8.1 tablet and the Metro interface is great on that - but awful on a normal PC.

I regularly use so many different OS's that I need something standard to keep me sane - and that's the start button!

I would give Windows 8.1 a blast first before making any decisions around regressing a version - which would be expensive as you'd need to buy another copy of the OS and do a clean install.
Old 27-01-2014, 02:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellfed View Post
I would give Windows 8.1 a blast first before making any decisions around regressing a version - which would be expensive as you'd need to buy another copy of the OS and do a clean install.
Hi wellfed

Although not knowing much about Windows 8, I also thought an upgrade to 8.1 would be well worth while. It would be daft in my opinion not to take advantage of a free upgrade to 8.1 if it was a superior version. But with regards to being expensive installing an earlier OS if hardware allows, should it not be cost free if Traction already owns an earlier OS and wants to install, e.g. a retail version?

Last edited by Cylon; 27-01-2014 at 02:19.
Old 27-01-2014, 07:07

this is what I was referring to http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/software-a...ws-7-50009546/ but I thought the option was officially built in now. I will ask the IT technician at work today.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 27-01-2014, 19:25

Quote:
this is what I was referring to http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/software-a...ws-7-50009546/ but I thought the option was officially built in now. I will ask the IT technician at work today.
@Maddy - Ah - I understand what you mean now. This uses Start8 to emulate the Windows 7 start button which I mentioned earlier and really is visual customisation of the Windows interface - it's still Windows 8 (8.1) under the bonnet. I have experimented with a couple of the add-ons recommended, but using Start8 and the 'sort of' start button on Windows 8.1, I've learned to manage successfully

@Cylon - agreed if Traction already owns a spare Windows 7 OS - most people (unlike saddo's like me!) don't have spare licensable OS's knocking around! HP seem to have a possible solution (in the US anyway) - http://www.pcworld.com/article/20894...ar-demand.html.

Otherwise looking at around 70-80 for an OEM version of Windows 7 from a legitimate source and if it's recent computer, the possibility that only Windows 8 would work on it. Worth checking with the laptop vendor to make sure you can get the necessary drivers/software if you go down this route