Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 02-03-2014, 13:37

Default Speed

I've raised this before, but what can we do to get people to slow down when driving on the park.

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube

Old 02-03-2014, 13:57

We have speed bumps on our park & I hate them because they seem to penalise the good drivers while the bad ones just ignore them anyway. We have a 10mph limit on the driveway into the site & a 5mph limit on the roads between the caravans. I always stick to the rules which I agree are very important where a lot of the people on site are children or elderly or disabled. I have seen people who break the site limit by quite a large amount but have never said anything to them but my neighbour always does. He quite often tells a couple of the neighbours to slow down but it does not seem to work so peer pressure is no good so I guess some people just don't care. Probably the same types who still insist on speeding on normal roads or who still use their mobile phones when driving. Some think they are above the law. I guess the only thing that would really work is a "3 strikes & you are out policy" where if the owner of the site either witnessed or had corroborated eye witnesses of a persons excessive speed, then they would be issued with a warning & 3 warnings in one season would result in expulsion. If this is too much maybe a "name & shame" post on the sites notice board? A bit heavy handed possibly but better that than to ignore a problem which one day could result in some innocent person being injured.

Last edited by RRRob; 02-03-2014 at 14:39.
Old 02-03-2014, 14:24

I agree with RRRob that where rules are made then there needs to be some form of enforcing compliance with those rules. What he suggests is a good idea although one that might be complicated through existing site contracts.
Additionally how often would the chance be that the owner would see and be able to prove the speed of any such vehicle? Also not many residents would want to become “involved” in my opinion. Perhaps only higher speed bumps are the answer to make all go slower?
Old 02-03-2014, 14:30

Not us Andy,as we not been yet...
Old 02-03-2014, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
I've raised this before, but what can we do to get people to slow down when driving on the park.
How about making junctions...
Old 02-03-2014, 14:36

Hi TreeTops

I personally think just a short letter or a specifically designed leaflet delivered to every caravan would help matters, even inviting them to report any persons they see speeding. It may already be in the rules, but sure many don't read them properly, if at all? I think that people take more notice when time is taken to deliver a message personally.

If the problem was still not resolved, you would then need to consider whether tougher measures are necessary.
Old 02-03-2014, 15:49

That’s a good Idea Cyclon delivering a personal message to every caravan but hardly practical. In my limited knowledge caravans don’t have letterboxes nor the facility of leaving leaflets. I doubt if an owner would consider leafleting and having to keep notes of those that he couldn’t catch in first time around and who he’d have to re-visit. It would only work perhaps if sent out with renewal fee notices or other bills.
Even then it wouldn’t cover the most likely culprits i.e. those just renting a caravan for perhaps just a week who have no ongoing interest apart from themselves. The greater majority of owners, on my site at least, appear to take care and look to maintain the high standard of the site, as after all most are ‘neighbours’ and likely ‘friends’.
Old 02-03-2014, 16:05

When we (with the "we" being the site members not the site owner) want to promote a forthcoming party, BBQ, day trip or whatever & need to contact all the others on site, we usually do it on a bank holiday when we have the most people around. I agree that leafleting caravans could be difficult but if you pick the right time, it can usually be done. If someone is not there, we just leave the papers with a neighbour to pass on. Well done Cylon, thats a much better idea for a start anyway rather than my heavy handed approach. If it works, problem solved with no animosity created.

Last edited by RRRob; 02-03-2014 at 16:11.
Old 02-03-2014, 16:56

Fortunately, like our site, Tree Tops doesn't allow van owners to rent out their vans so Andy's problem lies with the caravan owners. Its a shame that people do not take any notice of the speed restrictions on site but some don't. I cant remember what speed bumps you have on Tree Tops, Andy, but perhaps you could try increasing the numbers and the height of them.
Old 02-03-2014, 17:05

please don't get the impression that the park is like Silverstone, but there's a few drivers who show no respect to the children who enjoy the park and think they are safe. It's so annoying!!

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube