Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > Marketplace > Shopping > Wanted

Wanted Are you after a bargain? Ask the forum here.

Old 26-04-2015, 21:01

Lucky you to have piped gas. You would find it a lot less economical on bottled gas according to our friends on site. They often moan about it & have bought OFR's instead of using their factory fitted central heating. They only use that at the coldest part of the season like March & October.

Old 26-04-2015, 21:19

Thanks for all your replies, it good to read what you use an prefer etc.... We havent got CH or DG , just silly electric wall heaters, which we do wana get removed, the replacement doesnt have to be slimline or wall mounted, i was just thinking of covering up the space and holes in walls wen we remove old heaters, but i was wondering if there way of disconecting them so they dont work an then we dont have to take them off walls, as they dont take up any space at all. We on have one OFR which we think is fab, we tend to open all bedroom an bathroom doors for a few hours an place heater in between the rooms an it takes that chill of all rooms, tbh we jus may jus still use the one OFR , as am now thinking of a way to see if them heater can be disconected instead :-) .... sooo does anyone know if thats possiable ? Xx Thanks everyone , it is much appreciated xx
Old 26-04-2015, 21:25

Remove the fuses at each panel heater possibly? Or just turn off the fuse trip in your fuse box if you have a seperate circuit for the panel heaters as we do.
Old 27-04-2015, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRob View Post
Heck yes! we find that gas heating from bottles is far more expensive than electric heating. Also, the gas fire is a wet heat and can cause condensation where as electric heat is dry. I don't have central heating in our van but our best friends on site do & they get through the large sized gas bottle in under 2 weeks. We use a 2Kw flame effect fan heater in our lounge area which costs 30p per hour to run continuously but as it has a thermostatic controller linked by radio signal to a wall mounted thermostat the fire will go on & off 3 or 4 times an hour so probably 15 to 20p per hour I estimate. OFR's would be the same for the 1Kw or 2 Kw setting.
To answer your question on is it really cheaper to run OFR than use the C/H well all I can say is I totally agree with thie above reply. The large size bottles do not last long if used over a long period of time - we use our C/H for half an hour in the mornings while having a shower and sometimes when we first arrive to warm the whole caravan through quickly but we leave the OFR on sometimes up to 10 hours a day and our total electric bill was still under 200 for the season ( 9 months ), thats running a large fridge/freezer continuous, and everything else. A gas bottle is 60 on our site.
Old 28-04-2015, 08:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronbrook View Post
To answer your question on is it really cheaper to run OFR than use the C/H well all I can say is I totally agree with thie above reply. The large size bottles do not last long if used over a long period of time - we use our C/H for half an hour in the mornings while having a shower and sometimes when we first arrive to warm the whole caravan through quickly but we leave the OFR on sometimes up to 10 hours a day and our total electric bill was still under 200 for the season ( 9 months ), thats running a large fridge/freezer continuous, and everything else. A gas bottle is 60 on our site.
We have just stayed overnight,it was really cold....but it's great getting up to a warm van having set the ch timer,and tried an ofr with timer....before we had new van,I always used timers on the ofrs which were brilliant,defo worth anybody without ch investing in either ofr with built in timer,or buying a plug in timer,no more getting out of bed to switch them on in morning....
Old 28-04-2015, 09:51
Departed Friend

it,s nice to have the c/h,but on bottled gas it is soooo expensive so we use o/f radiators to supplement it.but don,t do what i did a couple of weeks ago,and just plugged one in when it was actually upside down........if it wasn,t for scruff(our little dog) i wouldn,t have had a van left.
Old 28-04-2015, 11:31

We have an eleccy fire that heats up very fast and heats the whole of front of van..so maybe peeps might look into changing gas fire to eleccy......
Old 28-04-2015, 12:43

Good tip, thats what we did too. Its far cheaper & just as warm & no worries about Carbon Monoxide either. Looks great too with the flame effect.
Old 28-04-2015, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodie1978 View Post
Hiya all, I was talking to someone a few weeks back a they was talking about electric heaters for caravans, I was telling them how pants our ones that had previously been fitted in our van before we bought it. Does anyone know of a low running cost electric heater that's slim design an can be fitted onto walls that offer decent heat for our none CH or DG van please ! Thanks in advance
I had a panel heater in the bathroom of my van that was worse than useless, so I changed that for a 300w towel radiator. It's brilliant, I have it on 24/7, turned down to 3 of 5 settings. I even have it on mid summer as I like the bathroom to be very warm when I come out of the shower.
The main bedroom has 500w Basic model, Airelec convector heater. That too is brilliant and I also have that on 24/7 but turned down to around 4 of 8 settings. It's 21c in there at the moment but when it drops colder this evening I'll turn it up to full till I go to bed.
The lounge and kitchen area is heated by a 500w ofr on full 24/7
The single room has a ceiling panel heater that I've never used but wouldn't expect it to be very efficient.
My electric bill was 69 last year but the van was only used for 7 weeks from May-Sept.

Last edited by Elless; 28-04-2015 at 16:00.
Old 29-04-2015, 13:46

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Worth noting that not all sites allow you to change from gas fire to electric (mine doesn't) so ask first

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1