Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Insurance

Insurance Discussion about all issues related to static caravan insurance, from which insurer to how best to make a claim.

Old 20-11-2015, 16:25

Default Insurance for second static!

Howdy all.

Long time no natter!

A bit of an update then a query.

We've already got a lovely static caravan at Chapel Hill in Lincolnshire which is a 1999/2000 Willerby Herald that we are currently in the middle of modernising but we've just agreed to buy 2007 Willerby Salisbury with central heating - we'll be able to stay in this whilst we finish modernising our old one and, as we won't have to keep tidying up all the time, it should make it easier and quicker too!

Once the Herald is finished we'll then be selling it - its a gorgeous van and will be even more so when we've finished working on it, it's on a fantastic plot too and we'll be sorry to leave it, but our 'new one' is at the back of the site next to the river and as these rarely come up for sale (and its already got central heating) it was a case of buy it now or lose it with the chance that it could be years before another came up ... hence why we'll have 2 of them!!!

Now for the query ... I'm not sure what to do about insurance! Our original static is insured with NACO but obviously I'll have to sort something for the new one - we're paying 20,000 for it (it's got some decking and a conservatory and is in great spot with a fenced garden) but as it's a 2007 Willerby Salisbury I haven't got a clue what value to put on it for insurance purposes. Do I see if I can get a 'new for old' policy (I know some don't give this for vans over 5 years old) or just go for market value ... but what IS the market value? Help!

Old 20-11-2015, 16:49

Our caravan price is not available either because of its age. Our site just advised us to insure it (new for old) on a comparable new replacement, including any decking delivery and re-siting.
Old 22-11-2015, 16:19
Departed Friend

a lot of insurance companies have an age limit with new for old.ours will only insure market value when a van reaches 15 years old.
Old 25-11-2015, 19:50

I would go new for old. It is worth checking out various insurance companies and then look at the small print.
Old 17-01-2016, 17:46

Default Insurance advice.

Hi everybody. I am about to place an order on a new lodge. It won't be ready till April/May but I would like some advice on insurance matters. I hope to insure it new for old but would welcome some input from members of the forum on insurers, prices and also on reliability of different companies.

I was hoping to open a new thread but as this will be my first attempt at creating a thread, I apologize for using this thread to ask my question but I can't find the correct procedure. I would welcome any help to get on the right course.
Old 17-01-2016, 22:50
Banned

HI minx
Does your insurance cover you for flood cover
Old 18-01-2016, 02:30
Departed Friend

new for old definately.especially on a new lodge.
Old 18-01-2016, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
Hi everybody. I am about to place an order on a new lodge. It won't be ready till April/May but I would like some advice on insurance matters. I hope to insure it new for old but would welcome some input from members of the forum on insurers, prices and also on reliability of different companies.

I was hoping to open a new thread but as this will be my first attempt at creating a thread, I apologize for using this thread to ask my question but I can't find the correct procedure. I would welcome any help to get on the right course.
Hopefully one of the mods will create your own thread for you!
I can say that, as I am on a flood plain, NACO (my first choice) refused to insure for floods.
Towergate, with whom I had been insured for the previous few years, refused to insure me, though they are insuring other owners on the same site.
Make of that what you will. I don't understand why different criteria applies to similar vans on the same site.
I had to settle for Compass, for which the site is an agent, but with a 200 increase to the annual policy premium.
It's been a bit of a headache.
I'm seeking to move from the site and will make sure that the new site is a 'dry' one!
I trust that yours will be more straightforward and know you'll get best advice from the mebers here.
Old 18-01-2016, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
Howdy all.

Long time no natter!

A bit of an update then a query.

We've already got a lovely static caravan at Chapel Hill in Lincolnshire which is a 1999/2000 Willerby Herald that we are currently in the middle of modernising but we've just agreed to buy 2007 Willerby Salisbury with central heating - we'll be able to stay in this whilst we finish modernising our old one and, as we won't have to keep tidying up all the time, it should make it easier and quicker too!

Once the Herald is finished we'll then be selling it - its a gorgeous van and will be even more so when we've finished working on it, it's on a fantastic plot too and we'll be sorry to leave it, but our 'new one' is at the back of the site next to the river and as these rarely come up for sale (and its already got central heating) it was a case of buy it now or lose it with the chance that it could be years before another came up ... hence why we'll have 2 of them!!!

Now for the query ... I'm not sure what to do about insurance! Our original static is insured with NACO but obviously I'll have to sort something for the new one - we're paying 20,000 for it (it's got some decking and a conservatory and is in great spot with a fenced garden) but as it's a 2007 Willerby Salisbury I haven't got a clue what value to put on it for insurance purposes. Do I see if I can get a 'new for old' policy (I know some don't give this for vans over 5 years old) or just go for market value ... but what IS the market value? Help!
Hi That sounds lovely! Just to say that last year NACO eventually refused flood cover on my van, that's also near a river. I had to insure with Compass but the premium is 200 more than NACO's.
My 2007 BK Bluebird is insured on 'new for old' basis.
Old 18-01-2016, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick1950 View Post
new for old definately.especially on a new lodge.
Thanks Mick, I think it's the only way to go.