Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Self build

Self build Discussion and advice on all aspects involved creating either a self build or a total rebuild of a caravan

Old 14-12-2015, 14:01

Default Self Build

I suspect there may be a few members who have ploughed the furrow my wife and I are about to do. So, by way of an intro, we have a small bungalow in east Devon which will be demolished in April and will be taking on a static kindly donated to us by a local farmer just up the hill from us. He is allowing us to live in the static which is parked next to his house for next to nothing, and we have been told we must bale to his house if the weather gets too rough! So the kindest of people and a very encouraging start to our project. We hope the rebuild will only take around 9 months, but there are issues with the static. Its condition is very good with no signs of damp despite not having been lived in for over three years. It was also surprisingly warm when we last looked in. We are having a caravan engineer come out to advise on linking up the electrics and water to the farmers house as we have never done this sort of thing before. I have to say the issue that's kept me up at night the most (and I'm sure it comes up regularly here) is the waste water sewerage. We have looked at going down the portable septic tank route and its cost implications. However, the farmer is beginning to think about the long term use of the static for his own family, and may be persuaded to think about hooking it up to his own cesspool. Obviously this would be fab for us but I'm not sure how feasible it is, so any advice on this issue or a steer to the right forum page would be great. Thanks for a great site.

Old 15-12-2015, 00:09

I really can't see any problem about connecting your waste water from the static to the farm septic tank/cesspool if the farmer is in favour. As long as there is sufficient fall from your output to the tank it ought to be a piece of cake as long as the pipes can run safely in a trench where they won't be damaged by traffic above and deep enough not to run the risk of freezing.

Henry
Old 15-12-2015, 09:50

Thanks Henry
the drop is about 1-6 and there is no traffic as its his bungalow some way from the farm so should work. I think his son has the kit to dig the trench so I'm hoping the costs will be low.
Old 15-12-2015, 12:46

Hi rockdoc (love the username!)

We've just sited a static on our land to live in while we renovate an old stone cottage.

There was a septic tank already in place for the cottage, and the static is sited uphill from it thankfully. We dug a trench and sunk 4" sewer pipe from roughly the location of the static (prior to it being delivered/sited) and hooked it into the cottage's existing waste pipework.

Another siting option for us would have been in front of the cottage, on the hardpacked yard, which would have been below the the septic tank. We looked into using a Saniflo type macerator/pump for taking the waste away, which would have been an expensive option to be honest.

If the farmer will let you hook into his waste system (with his eye on his own future use of the van) then this might be the best/easiest/cheapest option for you.

best of luck with it all
Old 19-12-2015, 11:10

Thanks for that FK, could you give me an idea of what your cost was for the trench and pipe hook up, also was it difficult to link to the existing tank? Cheers
Old 19-12-2015, 13:29

We had a digger driver up there for a day and a half, he charged us an hourly work rate, and did the trench along with the other groundworks we were having done (clearing the site) etc.
The trench took less than an hour. His hourly rate was 40 (we're in Ireland). However, the distance of your trench will obviously determine how long it will take to dig.
We bought the 4" sewer pipe from a local builder's merchant. It came in 6 metre lengths, and was approx 12 per length. The angled joins 45 degree and 90 degree were a few euro each.
We were lucky enough to have enough height fall from the mobile home pad which enabled us to connect our sewer pipe to the upright vent pipe just above the drain outside of the cottage's bathroom. Which saved an awful lot of faff digging down to find the cottage's buried sewer pipes.
Here's a pic to show what I mean, with regards to connecting the pipe to the existing waste system.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2&l=68ed9d3df4

We put the sewer pipes in ourselves and, did our best to get the fall right along the whole length, as well as getting the pipe supported underneath, before our digger driver backfilled the trenches for us the following day.

Some photos of the groundwork (along with other stuff)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=7d277d982e

We're not connected to the static yet as far as the sewer pipes are concerned, but we (hopefully) have all the angles and joins we need to get the buried pipes connected to the static's sewage & waste pipes...hopefully that's tomorrow's job. Some work to my campervan has had to take priority this weekend. So once that's finished, we'll get back to working on the static.
Old 19-12-2015, 22:44

Very useful many thanks.
Old 20-12-2015, 18:57

Hi Festiknitter
could you retry the first of your links (2&1) as it seems to be out of date for me to open.
Cheers
Old 21-12-2015, 13:33

Have replied to your PM

The first link is just to one of the pics in the album (2nd link)
Old 22-12-2015, 09:52

Many thanks