Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > Marketplace > Shopping

Shopping Are you after a bargain and want advice or have you just bought something for your caravan? Share your bargains with the community. STATIC CARAVAN RELATED PRODUCTS ONLY

Old 04-01-2017, 16:56

Default decking furniture

A new year and looking forward to the lighter nights What type of furniture do we use on our decking wood/platic/metal /rattan ?? ideally would like to leave it out all year just take the cushions in never had Rattan before is it as durable and lasting as they make out have also seen the woven fabric metal frame type again will this last the harshest of winters nearly 100 miles from the van with an 11 month season so taking it home to store is not an option any thoughts TIA.

Old 04-01-2017, 17:17
Forum Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by water hog View Post
A new year and looking forward to the lighter nights What type of furniture do we use on our decking wood/platic/metal /rattan ?? ideally would like to leave it out all year just take the cushions in never had Rattan before is it as durable and lasting as they make out have also seen the woven fabric metal frame type again will this last the harshest of winters nearly 100 miles from the van with an 11 month season so taking it home to store is not an option any thoughts TIA.
Hi Tia,
I think from looking around holiday parks daily, personally the rattan furniture is the most resilient. I think it pays to spend a decent amount on a quality set, more often than not i see people who have opted for a cheap set of table and chairs with a glass top..

After a while the metal frame starts to rust and then stain the decking beneath. Or the wind catches the table as they're top heavy and sends it flying with a big smash.
Some of the best sets I've seen have been the large weighty rattan types, almost like a corner sofa with table, most come with removable cushions so you can stick these inside when not at the van and the rest can easily stand up to the English weather.
Old 04-01-2017, 17:52

Have a wander round the site and see what other peeps have got , we didn't want to be taking cushions in and out all the time and having to store them . Also we didn't want a big corner thing that holds the moisture and so end up rotting the decking so it had to be moveable as well. We got some rattan type of chairs that are stackable with a metal bistro style table, we cover them in winter off the decking , in summmer months we stack chairs against the table in a corner to stop the table blowing over when we go home, they are starting to rust at the joints , I hope to get another season out of them , they were approx 100 from b&q , so we are prepared to replace them every 2 or 3 years but compared against the price of a good rattan set it's not an expensive option.
We have a good rattan set at home , it's covered in winter , rattan still looks good after 3 years outside but frame and screws starting to show age , glass table is fading and we hardly use it as can't be bothered getting cushions out.
I love green plastic furniture !
Old 04-01-2017, 18:11

If you look at the pictures attached to my signature, picture 3 shows our 'plastic' rattan furniture. It's brilliant, looks good, we leave out all year round and hose it down in the Spring, no metal to rust and we can store the cushions in the box. We have had the set 3 nearly years and still look good as new.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4
Old 04-01-2017, 21:25

Smile Wovenhill rattan furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by water hog View Post
I bought a 3 seater rattan settee from Wovenhill, paid a bit more but it's fabulous. A decent cover is a must especially if you're covering upholstery and that only takes a minute or two. Worth looking at their website, lovely kit x
Old 04-01-2017, 21:30

We have rattan but take it in when the site shuts down for the winter. Leave it out easter till November cushions go in the coffee table

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 04-01-2017, 22:19

hi,
i would agree that rattan is the best,we bought a high quality set (6place cube with glass top and two person bistro set) 5 years ago.We have had no trouble with the frames at all,still look brand new,however this autumn we noticed that some of the rattan strands on the corners of both the cube and the bistro set have started to break.I would point out that our decking/van is perfectly south facing and therefore bakes in the summer and freezes in the winter.
It seems for us that 5years is going to be the limit on our set given the extremes of temperature that it faces.
We have been very happy with the set and will definitely buy another rattan set.
Hope it helps,
Happy new year to all.
Old 05-01-2017, 13:04
Supporting Member

We bought a rattan cube set from Rattandirect online.
Looked at lots of options.
Wanted something that was neat, durable and comfortable. The chairs slide under the table, forming the cube and come with a cover. It is easily moved around the decking and stores neatly in a corner if you want it out of the way. Season three and still looking good.
Only regret, we bought the 9 piece set, which comes with footstools which we thought at the time would provide extra seating. We never use them and find them a nuisance when sliding the chairs in and out from the table. They are now at home in our garage doing nothing. Would buy the five piece cube if starting again. Oh and the cover they supply does provide some protection, but it's not 100% waterproof. They offer a better cover, but at a cost.
Old 06-01-2017, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckspares View Post
Hi Tia,
I think from looking around holiday parks daily, personally the rattan furniture is the most resilient. I think it pays to spend a decent amount on a quality set, more often than not i see people who have opted for a cheap set of table and chairs with a glass top..

After a while the metal frame starts to rust and then stain the decking beneath. Or the wind catches the table as they're top heavy and sends it flying with a big smash.
Some of the best sets I've seen have been the large weighty rattan types, almost like a corner sofa with table, most come with removable cushions so you can stick these inside when not at the van and the rest can easily stand up to the English weather.
We have two sets on different terraces at Home. We originally bought a cheaper rattan set which deteriorated in around four years due to the heat of the sun. We still have rattan style but paid over a thousand euros for each set. They are both large tables with eight chairs with each table. One set is approximately six years old and the newer one is three years old. To date the are both like new. I would agree with Deckspares, spend more if you can. It should prove to be better value in the long term.