Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > Marketplace > Shopping

Shopping Are you after a bargain and want advice or have you just bought something for your caravan? Share your bargains with the community. STATIC CARAVAN RELATED PRODUCTS ONLY

Old 26-01-2016, 18:22

Default Automatic Gas Changover

Hi all, I am looking for recommendations of an automatic changeover valve and maybe stand. Any feedback and reviews greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone knows the cheapest place to buy would also help.

Thanks

Old 26-01-2016, 19:30
Departed Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01142007 View Post
Hi all, I am looking for recommendations of an automatic changeover valve and maybe stand. Any feedback and reviews greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone knows the cheapest place to buy would also help.

Thanks
bear in mind it would have to be fitted by a gas safe engineer.
Old 26-01-2016, 21:30

Indeed Mick

Thanks
Old 27-01-2016, 01:02

Perhaps it would be a good idea to get quotes for supply and fitting of the changeover valve from two or three gas safe engineers. If you ask an engineer to fit one that he is not familiar with (that you have sourced yourself) the results might not be ideal.

Henry
Old 27-01-2016, 06:09

Thanks batman, I'm in the process of doing that already, however if I could find a recommended one say from people on here I could always ask if they would fit and how much.

I am really struggling to find a stand more than anything as I would prefer not to put holes in my caravan.
Old 27-01-2016, 08:27

I cant for the life of me think of the make of what we have on our van, but its very effective.
Bolted to the van, but I dawbed some sikaflex over it and we havent had any leaks.
Old 27-01-2016, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01142007 View Post
Thanks batman, I'm in the process of doing that already, however if I could find a recommended one say from people on here I could always ask if they would fit and how much.

I am really struggling to find a stand more than anything as I would prefer not to put holes in my caravan.
I'm pretty sure that my changeover is attached to the van by being screwed to the wooden frame underneath - no holes in the skin of the van. There is a bracket arrangement, which, though I pass it every day, I cannot describe adequately. As Sherlock Holmes said "You see, Watson, but you do not observe". I'll have a look later and report this afternoon.

Henry
Old 27-01-2016, 15:47

Hi,

We have a Clesse Compact 80 Changeover fitted to our Holiday Home and this has performed perfectly for us over the last 12 months.

Why not save all this hassle for yourself and purchase an approved LPG Bottle Stand as these often come supplied with a mounting point for your Changover Valve?

Here is a link to the Clesse 80

And here is a link to the Bottle Stands

I can recommend CaraConnect Ltd for all your LPG requirements and anything Static related.

Hope this helps
Old 28-01-2016, 00:15

I had a look as far as I could without getting underneath the van. There seems to be an extra piece of wood fitted underneath the van to which an L shaped steel bracket is fixed. The horizontal part of the 'L' takes the 'corner' of the 'L' to a few inches past the edge of the van and the upright of the 'L' reaches to about gas bottle height. There is a block of wood attached to the top of this and the changeover assembly is fixed to this.

The chap who fitted it came, as far as I recall, with all the bits to hand, having been recommended to us by the plumber who connected to vans to the water supply as someone who knew all about fitting gas to statics, so it seemed to me that the parts were quite standard, for him. He didn't have to measure up and come back later.

Perhaps I should mention that our gas bottles sit at the front of the van (that's the only place we can have them), whereas I think at the back is the normal arrangement.

Henry
Old 29-01-2016, 12:18

Nice idea batman, I will look at this option as there is nothing behind us except a sand dune.

@JPD I have looked at the clesse compact 800 but prices vary from 90 to 150.

It's our first van with ch so just trying to think of all the options