Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 26-01-2018, 10:36

Unhappy Another one bites the dust

Ok here is my question of the day.....

If a site advertises a pre-loved van for sale on behalf of the owner
should they have already bought it back onto their books before they can offer it up for sale to you the third party?

Am I right in thinking there are set rules and anything goes

Are they only going to buy it back from the owner when they know they have a sale nailed on?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated thanks!

Old 26-01-2018, 11:57

No. If the park is selling it on behalf of the owner. It means that it isn't theirs but they are selling it for the owner, either because they don't want the van, but more probably because they have made an offer to the owner that hasn't been accepted. The park will want a percentage of the sale price, normally 15% but that could differ dependant on the park.

selling it that way can help both the seller who may not be available to spend the time going backward and forward and the park. It would be beneficial to the park, as they know that if the van is sold, they will receive their money. Although the park will sell the van and take the money, they will not buy it from the seller. It's similar to being an estate agent. That will mean if there is anything wrong with the van you will have no comeback from the park.

Last edited by Mosquito; 26-01-2018 at 11:59.
Old 26-01-2018, 12:22

Hi Mosquito thanks for the reply.
We were told by the park once we have put a deposit down (which we did) they would buy the van back from the owner then sell it on to us. Are you saying the park never actually buy it back on to their books? I am assuming parks have their own different ways of selling.....
Old 29-01-2018, 15:29

I know when we purchased our van it was still in the possesion of the owner but it was advertised by the site and the warden showed us around,it still had some personal effects in it we put in an offer it was accepted we paid the site direct and had no contact with the owner, i think the site just acted as a broker

when we viewed it, it had a tv, microwave, vaccuum cleaner and radio we were told these would be in the sale but when we took possesion they were not, the warden didnt want to know to be honest kind of pi$$ed me off at the time,
Old 29-01-2018, 20:30

we bought via the site but from the owner and the site took their cut. Our cheque was to the site. They paid the owner from our money they never "owned" it. Is that what you mean

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 30-01-2018, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyboot View Post
Hi Mosquito thanks for the reply.
We were told by the park once we have put a deposit down (which we did) they would buy the van back from the owner then sell it on to us. Are you saying the park never actually buy it back on to their books? I am assuming parks have their own different ways of selling.....
If the park actually buys the van from the owner, that is not the same as selling it on behalf of the owner. If there is any guarantee given with the van and the park sell it to you on their own behalf, having purchased the van from its previous owner, they have to sort any problems covered by the guarantee.
Old 05-02-2018, 00:28

There seem to be so many pits to fall into when looking/buying/selling statics and very little protection for the buyers. We could very easily have come unstuck when we were looking as we imagined it was like buying anything else and that you were protected by trading laws etc. Having only visited 1 park on the East Coast that was totally unsuitable, I spent a week searching the internet and e mailed loads of parks with my needs and asking for information on what they had to offer. I didn't come across this forum at all until some time after we bought our van and I was shocked at the things I read - and also relieved that we hadn't fallen into a salesman's trap or been conned like many others had reported back to the forum.

The park we are on suits our own personal needs fully. We have been there for 5 years now and very happy. The owner deals with potential buyers personally and handles all negotiations and questions etc.(Also gave us a lot of support with the practical things after we bought). He invited us to visit the park and talk with him with no obligations at all - and no sales pressure. We are both very trusting folk but back away from sales banter and would have left rapidly if we had been pressured in any way to buy. The owner lives on the park permanently and there is also an office and warden.

On our park we know from the beginning that vans can only be purchased from the park owner - or he will get one in to order. Also if we leave the park the van must be sold back to him - no private selling. So we know exactly where we stand from the beginning. Also there is no pressure to upgrade - but we know that we can go back to him and talk if we are thinking about a van change. Only 1 person to deal with makes things so much easier. Its such a pity that there appears to be so many parks out there that are ignoring the customer needs and only interested in making massive profits. There does need to be some strict regulation of the industry because lots of folk appear to have invested large amounts into their dream - and end up trapped in nightmares.