Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 29-01-2018, 12:32
Supporting Member

Default Do many of you guys go to your vans in the winter?

Well, the season opens on 6th Feb and we are super excited about moving into our van next Friday (9th). A question I have got for you guys is:

Are we mad to want to go to our new van in the winter?

We have full DG and GCH, but I am a bit worried we are going to be cold? We appreciate we will have to do drain downs every time we leave for a few months yet and that is not a problem. So do many of you guys go in the winter? Is it going to cost us a fortune in heating and antifreeze?

Cheers

Old 29-01-2018, 13:35

Our season finishes dec 7th,and reopens Mar 1st...we usually have visits during closedown to check on van....must admit we called last Thursday for 3 minutes,it was fffreezing, did what I had to and left...must admit can see why you want to go if you can stay overnight,as with ch etc.it soon warms up,and eleccy blanket to warm bed
Old 29-01-2018, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazeyBlue View Post
Well, the season opens on 6th Feb and we are super excited about moving into our van next Friday (9th). A question I have got for you guys is:

We have full DG and GCH, but I am a bit worried we are going to be cold? We appreciate we will have to do drain downs every time we leave for a few months yet and that is not a problem. So do many of you guys go in the winter? Is it going to cost us a fortune in heating and antifreeze?

Cheers
We are a 12 month site but for legal reasons (residential license , community charge etc.we have to have at least 2 weeks away ) so I pay for 11 months have February as a closed season and go back 1st March I love to spend new years Eve at the van..
Old 29-01-2018, 16:27
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.R View Post
I love to spend new years Eve at the van..
Do you find yourself warm enough at new year Peter?
Old 29-01-2018, 16:54

Our site is only closed from 31st January till 1st march we use the van right through the winter, opening up after being away can be cold but we put the electric fire on and the central heating can lift from 5 degrees or so to 20 plus in 30 minutes or so, an electric blanket is also a must for cosy nights sleep. during the day the electric fire is enough to heat the living area easy enough.
Old 29-01-2018, 17:02
Supporting Member

Quote:

Cheers
this is our first winter shut down, and whilst i have been dreading the closed season i did a mid way visit to the van to check on things and re fresh the moisture traps, it was friday and the weather was dry and sunny, but on the journey i could see flooded fields, high rivers etc, it was nice at the van for say 1/2 hour but after rushing about i slowed down to check around and under etc and soon became cold, yes i can not wait till march but glad i was not staying at that time, we have c/h d/g insulated ( winterised ) but i prefer the patio doors open and the sun shining for more than a couple of hours, that said we will be there every weekend from march.. can not wait, mean while making my list of things to get, and remember to take, i took a lot down this weekend, all the bedding that we took back to wash and bag up ready for new season, ( in a suction bag ) new throws for the sofas, the dogs wrecked the original ones we got, they liked to claw at them making their beds ( better that than the sofa ) roll on march only 4.5 weeks away now....
Old 29-01-2018, 17:25

Quote:
Do you find yourself warm enough at new year Peter?
Yeah we use the central heating and an oil filled radiator to take the initial chill off the place...Usually! Quite comfortable and cozy....(a small .......Large brandy helps too)
Old 29-01-2018, 20:28

electric blanket and you will be fine. We often stay over in ours when its freezing the worst bit is taking the dog out first thing

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 29-01-2018, 20:38

Stayed the weekend couple of weeks ago , central heating on , electric fire on in lounge and oil filled radiator in bedroom . Nearly forgot, electric blanket on low all night . Really peaceful and quiet , loved it.
Old 29-01-2018, 21:36
Social Media Boss

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Hi, there are some older threads that you might find useful when visiting your caravan during the colder months.

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread...t=Keeping+warm

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

My 'New Old Girl'