Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:17

Default Think about buying a Swift Moselle 2008: quality, insulation sufficient?

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a Swift Moselle 2008 3-bedroom with CH & DG for approx. 19500 pounds. I was wondering whether the insulation of grade 2 is sufficient for cosy all-season camping, since I will be living in the caravan for the majority of the time in the winter as well. Don't want to spend a fortune on heating obviously.

Any advice? Also on the building quality of the Swift...I've read some reviews and they weren't very positive about the build quality, although these reviews always tend to be biased I know, since most people without any problems will not write a review. Is Willerby or ABI of similar build quality? Are there like A-brands and B-brands?

Thanks for your help.

Best,
Rob

Old 11-02-2018, 10:37
Supporting Member

I don’t know about grade ratings, I’m afraid, but there are holiday vans and there are residential spec vans. I think if anyone stays over winter in a holiday spec’d van there will be a noticeable pay back with increased costs in gas or electricity for heating etc.
Old 11-02-2018, 21:23

As said for living in during winter months residential spec would keep the bills to a minimum, I think the grading system is the same as touring caravans with grade 2 requiring the caravan to maintain a constant 20 oC inside using only its fitted heating system with an outside temp at 0 oC, using how much gas / electric is the question, touring caravans have been grade 2 for years but recently with improved insulation nearly all are grade 3 now (20 oC inside with outside at -15 oC).
With regards to build quality we purchased a brand new ABI 6 months ago and spent a lot of time looking at makes / models before hand for me there was no noticeable visible difference with all brands showing some evidence of poor finish in some areas (I’m a bit of a perfectionist so maybe notice more than others would), maybe stucturally where you can’t see there might be a better insulation or wood quality on certain brands but it’s not something you ever hear talked about. Even the ABI we got was a bit disapointing again on finish detail and minor damages caused during production, ABI shocking customer services (or lack of) is another story...
if your happy with the Swift layout and after a thorough damp test then I am sure it will be plenty good enough, end of the day you will be hard pushed not to use a fair amount of gas / electric in any caravan during winter months.
Old 12-02-2018, 20:29
Supporting Member

Our 2016 Swift Burgundy is fairly well built, my new friend next door has a Moselle and I wish that I could of afforded one at the time and there were no second hand ones available, they are certainly a lovely van, but cost a further 20k, simply I could not justify that.
The only difference I can see is the wood inside is proper wood, but table & chairs which I wouldn't want. Kitchen cupboards etc are the higher end to ours and with no room for a washing machine, whereas ours we were able to remove a cupboard interior to fit a washer.
Of course there are proper settees too, and more luxurious items.
But my friend has a large electric fan heater in his inner hall to blast the heat into the lounge
He has CHeating a large double glazed window at the front where we have opening French Windows, our double glazing is thermaglass.
There's have wooden blinds we have net curtains.
I think the Moselle is a luxury and ours a poverty brand, ie cheaper sanitary wear etc etc.
Our insulation is the same but last year is was freezing as van drying out.
He too had a large gas bill, but what you save at home helps to compensate
I had the gas central heating on nearly 24 hrs a day from March until late May And some cooking & later in the season just showering, Cost for me 280, @ nearly 4 unit.

Last edited by sparkrace22; 12-02-2018 at 20:46.
Old 13-02-2018, 12:45

[QUOTE=robgommans;171476]Hi,

I am thinking about buying a Swift Moselle 2008 3-bedroom with CH & DG for approx. 19500 pounds. I was wondering whether the insulation of grade 2 is sufficient for cosy all-season camping, since I will be living in the caravan for the majority of the time in the winter as well. Don't want to spend a fortune on heating obviously.

Any advice? Also on the building quality of the Swift...I've read some reviews and they weren't very positive about the build quality, although these reviews always tend to be biased I know, since most people without any problems will not write a review. Is Willerby or ABI of similar build quality? Are there like A-brands and B-brands?

I haven't owned any of the above-mentioned brands. A good idea might be to email the manufacturers and ask what insulation is in any van that might appeal to you.

I don't know, but I would think the older the van, the poorer the insulation, so it might be a good idea to give the relevant information the manufacturer.